TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a set to bolt up my 60 tooth on the off road wheel/tire that I'm setting up.

Want to have them in stock when it arrives.

Swear it was posted somewhere on the old forum...

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,221 Posts
I used 5/16" grade 8 bolts, grade 8 nuts, grade 8 washers, and grade 8 lock washers plus blue locktite . Bolts for the dual sprockets were 1 1/2 " long with threads only on the lower half. For a single sprocket I bet an inch would do it but you better measure first.

In my opinion grade 8 is overkill but since they were available I used them.

Or you could go with 8mm bolts, nuts, etc. That would do it too.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mission accomplished!

I bought a set of 5/16 x 1 1/2" bolts, saving about half from the price of metric graded bolts.

Mic'd them out compared to the stock bolts and couldn't get a measurable difference in diameter.

So you're buying bolts that are way longer than necessary to get the 1/2" of of unthreaded shoulder.

Suppose you could be anal and cut off the excess, but they don't even do that from the factory.

I just used nyloc nuts.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
FWIW, late models have slightly thicker wheel flanges than early wheels. The bolts are long enough, but the threaded portion is too short. may not be long enough for some aftermarket sprockets with an inset bolt pattern. You'll probably need to add a washers or get deeper threaded bolts, Make sure your grade 8's are threaded deep enough. In my experience the thread length on late models is sort of a bastard size.

I'm the king of overkill, but plenty of people including myself are running as large as 70T sprockets and riding them hard, on stock hardware.

13 hp. Just sayin.

·
Registered
46 Posts
FWIW, late models have slightly thicker wheel flanges than early wheels. The bolts are long enough, but the threaded portion is too short. may not be long enough for some aftermarket sprockets with an inset bolt pattern. You'll probably need to add a washers or get deeper threaded bolts, Make sure your grade 8's are threaded deep enough. In my experience the thread length on late models is sort of a bastard size.
That's the issue I ran into when I swapped the stock 50T for a JT 47T.

I bought some bolts instead of washers. The bag says M8X30 931-10.9 They work well. I've got 3 more sets of 6 because they were bought as a bag of 25. Anybody need a set?

·
Registered
7,221 Posts
With dual sprockets 1 1/2" bolts are about the right length.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts