TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Rear Suspension - Is it worn out?

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Nerk 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

I had a question regarding my rear shock (stock 2002 tw200). I have a hollow TW200 that has an after market ear fender under the back seat. It is not a issue related to the location of the after market fender. I was never a problem 6-7 months ago.

When I first started riding with my girlfriend on the back (I'm 220, she's about 120) when going over a large bumps the rear tire would rub against the plastic aftermarket fender. (4-5 months ago)

In the last month I noticed it would contact more and more with her on the back.. Then last night when I was driving home alone for the first time over a bump I managed to bottom it out and it happened every most bumps on the way home.

It seems the rear suspension has worn out? what are my options.. can it be re-packed or do I need to buy a new shock?

any advice you could give would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Nerk

See less See more
#5 ·
Thanks guys, i found another mechanic who's going to take a look tonight.. he said the TW rear shock is too "simple" so we cant add a spacer to pre-load? Again i'm not sure i'm just going off what he is saying.

he said we can order a new spring from Japan and also because i'm a large guy he recommended going to a stiffer spring... i'll let you know once he has a better look at the bike.

Nerk

#7 ·
Hey MacBig,

Thanks for the help on this. The mechanic ordered me a new spring from Japan and flew it in over night - he switched it out the next day and charged me a total of 180usd. (Again I have no tools or garage of my own in HK so I need to pay someone to do work for me)

He made a comment that I had a 10mm spring and that the new one is 12mm... but i also read the Stock TW spring is 12mm... so i'm not sure why I would have had a 10mm? (Mine is a 2002).

Regardless the ride is 100x better now, I cant believe how soft my tail end was and I just let it be. I feel way more confident with my girl on the back now as I never hear the sound of my tire hitting the fender.

I do appreciate your help on this to educate me on the problem, and you were correct!

Here is a pic of the new spring, and a pic of my bike from my cause Friday night ride.

Many thanks

Nerk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.