TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm eyeing a radial ATV tire for the rear. With it aired up, I wonder about what I'll lose on the highway; top speed, power to climb grades, MPG. Not your average ATV tire question, I know.

So:
top speed?
power to climb grade?
MPG?

26x9-14:

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Here are my totally unscientific opinions:

So:
top speed? No noticeable difference (hey, it's still a TW).
power to climb grade? No noticeable difference (again, it's still a TW).
MPG? Probably slightly less (but I never check my mileage).

What tire is that? That tread pattern should be smoother and quieter than the more aggressive ATV tires like the Duro.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
[/COLOR]What tire is that? That tread pattern should be smoother and quieter than the more aggressive ATV tires like the Duro.
Brian; if you right click on a picture; one option that may come up is: search google for image .
When I did that it came up as a Kenda Mastodon.

·
Registered
779 Posts
As long as you match the gearing to the larger diameter tire, it should be similar power and speed wise (slow and slightly slower). I will be interested to hear back on the handling characteristics of the radial vs. stock bias ply. it looks like a nice option if it fits and mounts relatively easilly.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes. Kenya Mastodon. Radial. DOT stamp. (Who doesn't love a little mystery?)

Outstanding info. Thanks very, very much for the feedback. I think I'll give it a try. Price is comparable to stock tire. I think I'll try the tubeless conversion too. It's in the RMATV shopping cart now.

I do want to ride it on the asphalt, but I'd like the most capable off road tire possible. I'm sure the stocker would suit me fine, but I have that sickness where I have to fiddle with stuff.

To think, a few weeks ago I was going to sell this bike. After my 150 mile run yesterday (some of that on the freeway), I don't want to give it up. Does it mean I'm afflicted if I'd rather hop on the TW than the CB500X for a highway ride down the valley?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Just something about them. Twice I have been ready to sell mine, but I just have not pulled the trigger. I do prefer my DR for most riding, but when hunting season comes or I want to go exploring, the TW is just so much fun!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Mattwings, agreed. I have a '96 DR350. Nothing but smiles on that bike. Like you say, there's just something about the TW.

·
Registered
20,467 Posts
I would guess the Mastodon would do fine on the highway with only minor performance sacrifices over the stock tire.
My Duro equipped TW with 13x55 sprockets is certainly geared down but last few days have been off and on hitting 65mph @ 6000+ feet, 12psi & 45 degrees on some firm graded roadbeds ( maybe it was slight downhill with a tailwind?:p)
Fuel mileage did plummet for me from ~70mpg to 50 mpg at 10 psi and lower.
In casual drag races against a stock TW there is not much difference in acceleration times nor top speed.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, Fred. The tire is ordered. (New front too.) You know unless I'm aired all the way up, I'm only hitting mid to high 50s on MPG on stock tires anyway. I must confess, I'm a bit excited to get it on and test it out.

·
Registered
20,467 Posts
"get it on" - that's what we like to hear!
I think you will like the Mastodon. Besides that wide tire look will make you the envy of all your pals and make the ladies weak in the knees.

Reactions: retmotor

·
Registered
457 Posts
Weak knee'd ladies, now that is motivation

·
Registered
20,467 Posts
If you really want to male them weak in the knees ride naked.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
i'm really not that interested in what passes for safety gear on the eastern slopes of the sierras...
but never underestimate fred's ability to kick it up a notch.... oh the inhumanity.

and poor betty.

;)

·
Registered
20,467 Posts
Hey, the equally naked girl who took this photo was laughing her fanny off and offered to take my picture after she put her camera down. So what can I say, make it a point to not say "No" to naked women.

·
Registered
457 Posts
This portion of the thread has been concluded with a, Checkmate "game goes to Fred"

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Hey, the equally naked girl who took this photo was laughing her fanny off and offered to take my picture after she put her camera down. So what can I say, make it a point to not say "No" to naked women.
well honestly fred, i would have preferred the reverse angle... and let me clarify: i mean camera angle, not yours!

(there must have been a good story in there somewhere though)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts