TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been studying up about sealing the spokes on the rear wheel so it can be run tubeless. In addition to a possibly easier flat repair, saving a little weight would be nice.

Curiosity had me looking at tires available for the 180/80 – 14 size and what each of them weighs. The tires have not been weighed by me, just posting information found on the forum and from dealers. If you know of others, please post them as well.

180/80 – 14 tire weights:
Bridgestone Trail Wing TW31 - 15 lbs. 5 oz. – forum
Dunlop K180 – 18 lbs. 10 oz. – Dennis Kirk
Shinko SR428 – 18.95 lbs. – Dennis Kirk

ATV rear tire weights listed on the forum:
Maxxis Bighorn 2.0, 26x9R14 - 21 lbs. 9.5 oz.
ITP Terracross 26x9R14 - 23 lbs. 14 oz.

Tubes: (only one so far)
Standard duty rear tube - 2 lbs. 8 oz. – forum

Sprockets:
Advertised weight varies across the board. Moose claims their steel sprocket is lighter than other makers, but the weight listed by some sellers is heavier for the same size JTR sprocket. So, I have no clue if some steel sprockets are lighter than others, but if I change the number of teeth, it makes sense to buy a lighter one made of the same strength steel, right?

· Registered
2004 TW200, Jets 'n Shims, DGV2, Acerbis Guards, ProTaper KX, JNS LED BLK
890 Posts
There are already more tire/tyre threads on this forum than blades of grass.

I think that may be why you're not getting much feedback. Your criteria should probably skew more toward suitability & reputation of a particular rear tire for your type of use, than weight.

Street bias? Trail bias? %/% ON/OFF & type of conditions you'll ride should drive your tire choices.

Research & make sure you fully understand what you're getting into with the install process if you want to try out an ATV tire. They're not DOT (USA) legal. They're also not all created equal when it comes to mounting, on a TW wheel.

A front tire? Different story, as weight there more adversely affects steering/handling, with the gyroscopic effect. Even so, I'd choose suitability/performance over weight, even in the front. Busted collarbones suck.

Sprocket weight is negligible. Pick the one that gives you the desired gearing.

It's a TW, not a carbon fiber, magnesium built GP machine. Shaving ounces with your mods may be a secondary consideration, but isn't a primary strategy that's likely to get you the best value for your dollar on TW200 farkeling.

· Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes sir, saw tons of threads regarding rear tires (after looking a couple hours) but found it difficult to find the weight of rear tire choices in one spot. After finding the difference in available OEM sizes, I’m happy sticking with the TW31. The other tires are quite a bit heavier.

Very few tube and sprocket weights are posted that I can find on the forum. Dealer listed weights vary too much to know which one is right. Sunstar sprockets are reported to be heavy, but no actual weights posted. Moose claims their sprockets to be lighter and the Bike Master looks lighter than JT, but don’t know for sure.

This bike is used for both on and off road so the ATV tire and dual sprocket set up won’t be used for this one, maybe the next. It’s good to have the info by those that have tried it and posted results.

If I’m going to buy stuff anyway may as well buy lighter vs heavier. Probably won’t win any races with lighter stuff, just hoping for a little faster spin up.

In regard to the front tire I'm liking the heavier Shinko 241 for now, may try the Tubless product later on.

· Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Duratool 22-24145 Weatherproof Equipment Case 14 Inch, 4 lbs

Yamaha Rear Cargo Rack, 2 lbs

Military MOLLE Tactical Travel Water Bottle Kettle Pouch Carry Bag Case, 6.5 oz

Brown Product Luggage and bags Bag Sleeve

OEM Fender Extension, Tail Light, License Plate and hardware, 1 lb, 8 oz

Tail Tidy Fender Eliminator LED Brake Light for SUZUKI DRZ400S, Tail light, license plate and hardware, 9.250 oz

Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part

· Registered
23,607 Posts
Duro has this mud-paddle coming in at ~16.38lbs.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

My heavier DuroV2 PowerGrip and Terracross sure made for nice rubbery gyroscopes.
I think their increase in flywheel effect helps complement the basic off-road strength of the TW I so enjoy: its ability to churn, creep and craw thought places with minimal stalling.

· Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Working on an extra swingarm that I purchased a while back.

The stock arm weighs 11 pound 10 ounces with the bushings in.

After some surgery, it's about one pound less now with a little more to go.

I need to make a trip to Harbor Freight for more disposable bits. :)

Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Font

· Registered
2,334 Posts
Fill 'em up with mud. You can gain that unsprung weight back.

Reminds me back when I was a distance hiker, I'd run across the fanatical weight shavers. They'd cut the tags off their clothes, handle off the toothbrush, replace gear zipper handles with safety pins, even slicing off belt loops if they didn't wear a belt (a lightweight belt).

Me, I was never looking for grams but I did eliminate all cooking appliances, cooking utensils, pots, pans, plates, etc. Carried only food that could be eaten by hand or roasted on a stick over a fire.

In guaranteed fair weather I trimmed the pack to 35 pounds for a week long trip.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 49 Posts