TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
61 - 80 of 81 Posts

· Registered
23,856 Posts
Any estimate of your running net average cost per once saved?:cool:

i.e. total weigh one could save for a total cost one could expect to pay.

· Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Not yet Fred. I'm planning for another weigh in after mounting a couple more parts.

Haven't put a pencil to it, but I think it's about 50/50. Weight removed / vs. weight reduced by farkles.

The rotor, front fender, tidy tail and short stalk blinkers were made for looks and weight reduction. The lithium battery was purchased after mine bit the dust.

I can add weight back on really quick with the fat tire conversion and tow bar. It puts the bike back to "around" the original weight and slows it down quite a bit.

· Registered
23,856 Posts
I only asked because one of out members had gone the deletion rather than replacement weight loss route ending up somewhere around 245lbs.
No lights, no starter, no battery, etc, a severe diet that turned the dual sports TW into a fat tired dirt bike. Major expenses were a rubber plug for the starter opening in the case and perhaps a capacitor. Too naked for my tastes but a specialized tool I guess.

· Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 · (Edited)
I only asked because one of out members had gone the deletion rather than replacement weight loss route ending up somewhere around 245lbs.
No lights, no starter, no battery, etc, a severe diet that turned the dual sports TW into a fat tired dirt bike. Major expenses were a rubber plug for the starter opening in the case and perhaps a capacitor. Too naked for my tastes but a specialized tool I guess.
I remember reading about a member who had lightened his bike quite a bit and allowed other members to test it out, Moab I think. Haven't seen what all he removed or any pictures.

There not much more weight that I can take off without going to a hollow or scrambler style. I don't have any plans on doing that right now.

Playing around with a set of grab handles now. Don't know if I can make them work or not. They weigh about one pound four ounces..

Bicycle part Nickel Auto part Metal Composite material

· Registered
402 Posts
So here is my Bradly hub after a little modification. It now weighs 4.9 lbs with bearings and spacer….since we can no longer purchase the more aggressive early style Tw32? rear tire I have decided to try the trailer wheel mod so I can run better off road tires than the current rear tire.

Attachments

· Registered
402 Posts
I was that guy in Moab with the stripped down TW. Here is a pic of the bike…

I was there at the last Moab get together and participated in a group ride on the slick rock trail with a bunch of Tw guys, along with my riding buddy Glen…not sure if they appreciated us or not as we are a couple of knuckleheads! My name is Bob by the way!

Attachments

· Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
So here is my Bradly hub after a little modification. It now weighs 4.9 lbs with bearings and spacer….since we can no longer purchase the more aggressive early style Tw32? rear tire I have decided to try the trailer wheel mod so I can run better off road tires than the current rear tire.
The hub is a mere shell of its former self. That's a nice weight drop from six pound four ounces to 4.9.

· Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
I was that guy in Moab with the stripped down TW. Here is a pic of the bike…

I was there at the last Moab get together and participated in a group ride on the slick rock trail with a bunch of Tw guys, along with my riding buddy Glen…not sure if they appreciated us or not as we are a couple of knuckleheads! My name is Bob by the way!
Thanks for the pic Bob! (A few more if you have them, thanks).

· Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
I will post a pic when i get this altogether. I purchased a Kenda Klaw in 25x8-12 that weighs 16 lbs. I think it will work well and not upset the handling too bad, I hope!
Sixteen pounds for a six ply is really good. Post up a review when you get it all together and test it out, thanks.

· Premium Member
5,022 Posts
I will post a pic when i get this altogether. I purchased a Kenda Klaw in 25x8-12 that weighs 16 lbs. I think it will work well and not upset the handling too bad, I hope!
That tire only has a load rating of 340 pounds. Probably because it has a max tire pressure of 7psi. I'd venture to guess that bike with rider and gear is gonna be over that. The wet weight spec of the TW200 is 278 pounds. If the rider dressed in riding gear weighs 180 pounds, that's 458 pounds. A guy like me is more like 225 dressed in riding gear. Add another 20 pounds in water tools and just plain crap and me and bike comes to over 500 pounds. Or 50% over max load rating of the Kenda Klaw.
BTW, the stock Bridgstone TW34 rear tire has a load rating of 937 pounds.

EDIT
I realize there is a front tire to consider, but with motorcycles, I'd venture to guess the rear tire takes a lot of the load, 100% of it often when the bike is on its rear wheel, especially landing from a jump. Heck, I've ridden many motorcycles that had a flat front tire with little problem, but not so with a flat rear tire. That's because of the load mostly on the rear tire.

MORE EDIT
I decided I better check the rating on my own rear tire: the Duro D12039, also known as the Duro 2 or V2. It has a max load capacity of 805 pounds. I think it weighs 28 pounds, but I've found specs from 15 to 32 pounds as well.

· Registered
402 Posts
You definitely bring up some valid points and I think the weight ratings are important, but I am not too concerned about it for a few reasons...

1. The weight ratings are static load ratings, not dynamic. Assuming close to a 50/50 front/rear weight balance, even with a reasonably sized passenger on board, I think it unlikely that you would exceed 340lbs on the rear wheel. This bike would only carry a passenger in an emergency...My TW weighs about 250 and I, gear, and food/water is another 250lbs or less. So roughly 500lbs, split roughly in 2...

2. The weight ratings are most likely very conservative. By what factor, I can only guess....

3. One of the key components in determining weight ratings is heat buildup in the tire. This tire is intended for vehicles capable of sustained high speeds at low pressure. Perhaps 50 to 60 mph at the maximum weight rating. My sustained high speed runs are at 30 to 35 mph for perhaps 3 or 4 miles at a time. I don't think my bike has exceeded 45mph in the last 5 years or so. Most of our riding is in the 5 to 20mph range. I occasionally do higher speed dual sport rides and I have another 6 speed TW that has more appropriate gearing for road use.

4.And finally, I am an incredible risk taker as evidenced by my continued usage of the front DEATH WING tire!

Seriously tho, you are right, this may not be a good choice for a TW that is ridden at higher speeds heavily laden...for my limited scope, it should work fine, I think...

61 - 80 of 81 Posts