TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to attempt adjusting the chain's slack, I have not measured yet but it looks pretty slack after 300 mi. I have the 19mm socket for the left side but not a 22mm for the right side. I do have a 7/8" which fits with just a bit of play..I'm I risking rounding out that bolt? Thank you for your help.

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
That should be fine. I have done it many times. 7/8" is 22.2250 mm. Depending on wrench it may fit better than a cheap metric, I.e. Snap-on vs Walmart wrench.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Brian,

Those are Knipex, a German company. I have these pictured wrench pliers as well as their Cobra water pump pliers. They are simply the most amazing hand tools I've ever used. They are a "get what you pay for" tool, and they're price often reflects that.

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
Brian -- they are pretty good and as Larry stated not cheap. If you look at the Home Depot website and search " Knipex pliers" you will see what they make and sell for. They are first rate tools.
Their home website -- http://www.knipex-tools.com
Their videos about their tools. http://knipex-tools.com/media-center/product-videos/
I would not hesitate to use them on the axle if I needed to but I do prefer a socket and torque wrench. Obviously one can't use a torque wrench with these "plier-wrenchs". Tony

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
The 7/8 will work however it is always best to use six point wrenches and sockets on tight nuts. I hate using the 12 point variety on any nut or bolt that needs some torque applied because they are the ones that cause the round over. Harbor Freight has the 22 MM six point socket as a single piece for just a few dollars. Actually HF sells a decent set of metric sockets and wrenches pretty cheap and they are OK for the casual garage mechanic.

GaryL

·
Registered
366 Posts
The 7/8 will work however it is always best to use six point wrenches and sockets on tight nuts. I hate using the 12 point variety on any nut or bolt that needs some torque applied because they are the ones that cause the round over. Harbor Freight has the 22 MM six point socket as a single piece for just a few dollars. Actually HF sells a decent set of metric sockets and wrenches pretty cheap and they are OK for the casual garage mechanic.

GaryL
Yes! I know TW owners are cheap, but really - spend a few dollars on the proper wrench for something as important as your axle nut. Even the best adjustable wrenches can round off nuts.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I threw away all my 40 year old Craftsman 12 point sockets last year!! :eek::p
LMAO! I have never seen a 12 point nut or bolt! The only time a 12 point wrench or socket comes in handy is in very tight spots where you don't have room to get a full turn of the wrench.

GaryL

·
Registered
457 Posts
Hey Tony,

I'm not familiar with those tools, how do you like them?

Brian
Knipex pliers, I got both sizes and they are my year after year favorite tools... Grab tight, run parallel, never slip, I find myself using them to straighten things as well since they mate so flat.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I bet you have and you just didn't know what you were looking at.

View attachment 188260 View attachment 188262
Right you are Tony but we called them Reverse Torx head and the choppers had quite a few of them that took very special socket sets. Helicopters use a lot of these and also a lot of castle nuts designed to be safety wired. I still have my safety wire spinner pliers most guys have never even seen.

IMG_1737.JPG IMG_1738.JPG

GaryL

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
Right you are Tony but we called them Reverse Torx head and the choppers had quite a few of them that took very special socket sets. Helicopters use a lot of these and also a lot of castle nuts designed to be safety wired. I still have my safety wire spinner pliers most guys have never even seen.

View attachment 188266 View attachment 188268

GaryL
Looking at it I can see how it got the name "reverse torx". It makes sense. As for the wire spinner pliers, I had a friend long ago that was an aircraft mechanic and I saw him use that gadget many times. I find it amazing to see how neat it all looks afterwards whereas if you try it freehand, like I did, it looks terrible, though I would argue it was every bit as functional and safe as the job the pliers did. Right! Maybe for a lawn mower........

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
I hope you gave them to some kid that couldn't afford Craftsman tools. With the forever guarantee that would be a sweet deal for a gear head just starting out -- if there are any new gear heads out there.
I tried. I took them to the Advocates 2nd hand store and the receiving lady said " We've been wanting a set like this for years!" Poor kid. :p I didn't have the heart to tell her they were useless for any serious mechanical work.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts