TW200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys - First time posting, just joined. So howdy, thanks for having me:)

I searched but couldn't find the info I'm looking for. Hopefully someone can get pointed in the right direction.

Im rebuilding a 2000 TW. I have all the electrical sorted but ended up with an extra ground wire, about 8" long. I can't figure out where it goes. Maybe the headlight? I have the battery wired in, everything seems good there. Been looking at every picture I've taken and google images with no luck.

This bike is a blast to work on, can't wait to get it up and running!

Any help, tips or advice would be much appreciated. Once i get this sorted then I can jump into the fun stuff. Thanks for reading guys, cheers.

IMG_3849.JPG

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Well welcome Joe. Sorry I can't help you. I know I've seen that wire before and went out to look at my bike but couldn't see it anywhere. Must be under the tank because my seat is off right now.

Anyway someone will be along shortly that will recognize it.

Where do ye hail from?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hey thanks - Im now thinking it could be the headlight cage to fork maybe...? (image attached).
IMG_3875 copy.jpg ? (image attached).

I see your a Yooper! That rules. I was born in Gandrapids MI, spent most my life in Alaska. All my extended family lives in Mi, ended up meeting my wife in AK who's parents and extended family are from MI as well. Spent a lot of time near White Fish Point riding BW200's

Me and my wife moved around a lot and landed in Northern Colorado. Saw my first TW blasting through downtown sydney and was hooked on big wheel'ed yamaha's again.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone out there have any tips/tricks/advice on this extra ground wire? Really hoping to get this thing back on the trails/road asap!

·
Registered
13,742 Posts
Howdy JoeH,

Have you tried to start and run your TW without this "ground wire" attached yet? If you have tried, is it preventing the TW from running and/or is there electrical components not working properly?

I'm pretty sure the wire does not go on the triple tree just above your red circle saying "empty hole". The bracket just above the hole is what get bolted onto the triple tree.

You can see the bracket is mounted on the triple tree in this picture.

The engine above is a replacement 1993 engine. Unfortunately for you, I removed the ground wire I had on this engine but will explain where it was. It was a ground wire and one end was attached to the bolt on the front skid plate mount, which is obscured in the above photo by the exhaust header pipe. I think, and this is a think not a "I know for sure" the other end was connected from the starter. Thus, what I'm trying to say is the starter was grounded with this wire to the frame at the top front skidplate mount.

Unless someone else takes a look at there TW, I will look at mine tonight and see if I have a ground wire in a location you have it sitting.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
that looks like the ground that goes from one of the motor case bolts to the frame of the bike. I believe the frame connection point is one of the rectifier bolts that are under the seat.

Could also be what admiral describes but i personally have never seen that wire on either of mine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys thanks for the feedback. I haven't tried starting it yet. Just got the tank and exhaust back on last night and hopefully getting the wheels back on tonight. Just about ready to see if she starts.

admiral - that skid plate location might be the ticket. I feel like i do remember seeing it there when I was pulling the bike apart. I dis assembled the whole thing last fall right before a super busy work season and a move so its been a little while, wish I could have gotten back into it sooner so it was still fresh in my memory.

Thanks again guys, ill post an update after I dig into it later.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts