TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... I have researched several sites that have the receiver type carriers, What I am looking for is recommendations form someone who has actually used one. What are the pros and cons and which make they are really happy with. I plan on using a Toyota 4runner, if that makes any difference.

Thanks guys...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Ok... I have researched several sites that have the receiver type carriers, What I am looking for is recommendations form someone who has actually used one. What are the pros and cons and which make they are really happy with. I plan on using a Toyota 4runner, if that makes any difference.

Thanks guys...

Im also looking for one, but want to make sure the big t dub tires will fit.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
big tires fit on nearly all of them. Check the search function there are a couple of long threads on the subject.

Here is one: http://tw200forum.com/index.php?/topic/1672-hitch-mounted-bike-racks-vs-trailers/page__p__14630__hl__+hitch++rack__fromsearch__1#entry14630

Or let me remind you to do a search while in the overall forum screen instead of when one of the 6 individual forum sections is open. When you do this you get all threads not just the one if the subsections. One the other hand if you are wanting to buy a rack you would only search for stuff for sale in the for sale section.

So, search for hitch rack in the overall forum screen and you will get a dozen threads to read but be forewarned. Some folks like trailers and some folks like hitch racks. So its a bit of an emotional issue.

Tom

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
big tires fit on nearly all of them. Check the search function there are a couple of long threads on the subject.

Here is one: http://tw200forum.com/index.php?/topic/1672-hitch-mounted-bike-racks-vs-trailers/page__p__14630__hl__+hitch++rack__fromsearch__1#entry14630

Or let me remind you to do a search while in the overall forum screen instead of when one of the 6 individual forum sections is open. When you do this you get all threads not just the one if the subsections. One the other hand if you are wanting to buy a rack you would only search for stuff for sale in the for sale section.

So, search for hitch rack in the overall forum screen and you will get a dozen threads to read but be forewarned. Some folks like trailers and some folks like hitch racks. So its a bit of an emotional issue.

Tom
Yes thanks..I did read several post, however I dont recall anyone saying, I have this particular rack and it works great, etc....maybe I missed it....

Ok I found it...sorry didnt search right I guess....Thanks

·
Registered
238 Posts
Purchased a Hitch-Haul this spring from Amazon, cost about $160 with free shipping. I'm very pleased with it, the TW rides well in it and loads easily enough on the supplied ramp. I've carried it both behind my 22 ft motor home and my Ford Sport Trac. On the motor home, great, hardly know it is there. On the Sport Trac I'm certainly aware of it hanging out there. While that works for short drives to get to trails within say 10 - 15 miles I wouldn't want to go a lot further with it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'll be getting a hitch for my TW200 soon, but not sure which one to get myself. Royal Distributing has a few though if you interested.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased a hitch carrier from Harbour freight in Yuma AZ for $149.00. to bring home my wt200 to British Columbia. I have a hitch on my 2009 Jeep wrangler X which I tow behind our Motorhome. It worked out perfectly. I installed airlift in the rear shocks which leveled the load. An Aluminum rail rack with steel hitch tube with ramp. I have used it many times since . Very pleased.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I purchased one from J.C.Whitney ,if I remember $209.00 free shipping holds the bike OK.fits well behind my Jeep,Pickup,and fifth wheel.

·
Registered
468 Posts
rastaman.....I purchased a VersaHaul (thanks again Placerload) from the classifieds on this site and could not be happier!
One of the reasons I went with this version is that it has a receiver hitch built into it, meaning I can tow my tent trailer with the motorcycle carrier installed.
It made my life a lot simpler not having to remove my trucks canopy every time I wanted to load up my TW and take it somewhere.
It rides like a dream, I hardly know it is even back there. I do take it easy on larger bumps as there is a little bit of sway, however 4 straps and I don't think my bike has every moved an inch.
Great product and I highly recommend.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have the Harbor Freight Rack. It works fine. I do run an extra tie down from the ends of the rack up and over the top of the tail gate to a fixed point in the bed of my truck. Eliminates any "Shimmy" when a bump is struck.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I too bought the Harbor Freight Rack for $99 with a coupon from a motorcycle magazine I was reading at the barber shop. I replaced the cheap bolts with grade 8 and I also run extra tie downs but to the truck safety chain holes on my hitch. Hauled the bike for 150 miles when i bought it with a 2011 GMC Canyon 4x4. I knew it was back there but wouldn't hesitate to run it all day.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have an Aluma utility trailer for hauling more than one bike plus a hitch mounted carrier when I am transporting only one motorcycle or scooter. My current hitch mounted carrier is made by Motobrackets and sold by Motobatteries on Ebay for $155 delivered. It is made of aluminum, has a 400 pound capacity, and tilts for easier loading. I recommend it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Got the Harbor Freight one and have used it extensively with my CT90 and also with my TW200.
The front tire of the TW200 doesn't fall in all the way into the front wheel catch but I have found out that is OK.
I run straps at the ends of the carrier up to the truck's rails to help with the lateral torsion inposed on the hitch receiver. That helps a lot, specially in bumpy dirt roads. These extra straps I would put on any brand hitch carrier.

·
Registered
443 Posts
MIne works

Ratchet strap it down by the frame not suspension

Make sure handle bar etc doesn't bang into truck when braking

·
Registered
104 Posts
Once the bike is strapped on the hitch hauler, run one more strap from the bike, over the tailgate, and to the tiedown in the truck bed. This eliminates most wobble. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I a cheap on at Cabelas and they sell the same one at Walmart. sturdy enough for the weight. ramp angle a little steep for one person loading. i usually find a driveway or ditch to make a flatter load. loading is a learned art. have all your ratchet tie downs on and handy. now it is a breeze. only thing i do different is add an addition rachet tie around the frame of the rack and the rear tire. since the tire is wider it doens't fit down like a normal sized bike tire. I have driven hundreds of miles over rough logging roads and never had the bike shift or loosen. good luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts