TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i went trail riding around my property yesterday, i live on a old mining claim in tombstone arizona and there are abondoned mine tunnels and shafts all over the place for about a 30 mile radius. the good thing is that the old miners carved thousands of permanent trails in the desert with their hauling rock and all. so to me i really have a trail riding adventure right in my backyard. there are tunnels that go down farther than you can see... in the summer they are infested with rattle snakes but in the winter they are pretty good to explore bc the snakes are in hibernation. ive been about a mile into one of these massive tunnels and i tell you it is a beatiful. apart from dead animal bones and the fear of the tunnel collasping on you! the trails also have alot of loose rock and sand washes that you manuveur through, making it a really nice ride, that takes a bit of skill...but anyway here are some quick photos i took. sorry if they arent as good as i wish the wouldve been.

heres my tw with some awsome mining trails in the background

the tw infront of a old mining tunnel entrance

the tw again ontop of a massive mining tunnel entrance... look at the size of that hole!

heres the tw in a sand wash! the wall behind it was completly carved by running water in the rainy season

the sand in the wash was pretty loose! i rode through it with ease but it was pretty much down to the swingarm all the way through it.

here it is again with some really cool background!

heres a deer i saw! it was in a pack of 5 but i could only catch a pic of one of them... those damn deer are fast!

!

heres the bike with some old rusty mining equipment! looks like a pickaxe a water holder and a refrigerator/generator

hweres the tw ontop of a hill it conqured! i got it up to around 15 mph and used the momentum to climb it. i almost stalled at the peak but the old tw pulled through!

well here they are! tell me what you think!

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Glad you figured out the pics. Very nice.

jb

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
more pics

the miners used these wooden structures to pull the ore up from the underground tunnels, this one has long been collasped but it has some cherecter for sure

·
Registered
100 Posts
Looks like fun to me

·
Registered
13,908 Posts
Really nice photo's of the Desert SW. You must have tons of fun riding in the sand washes. It's really fun to ride all over the place and discover and explore the old mining stuff. Does anyone ride in Arizona during the summer or is it too hot? Seems like the winterish months would make a great riding time, (especially with rattle snakes in the summer). Thanks so much for sharing your ride. It gives us northern riders something to dream about during these waning days of winter.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Looks about like Quartzsite.

Down here 4-5 months the past 4 winters. Only seen a total of 3 snakes that rattle, wife and I saw on different days we think the same desert bull snake.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts