TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,322 Posts
Advice – keep it simple

Too many people try to wire up these all singing and dancing digital speedo/tachometers and come a cropper. I may be wrong here, but I cannot recollect a definitive thread on here that explains what wires go to where to allow for speedo, indicators, neutral light, high beam, speedo light, tacho etc – it all gets “complicated”

All you need is simple tacho that takes a signal from between the HT coil and the plug to give you a pulse, with the ability to “halve” that signal (it’s a four stroke), and if you need it back lit, splice a feed from your speedo light

Recommendations – none. For one thing, I’m in the UK, and for the second, my ears tell me when I’m over revving a TW. The power drops off, my fillings start to fall out, and by-standers start to stare …..

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Advice – keep it simple

Too many people try to wire up these all singing and dancing digital speedo/tachometers and come a cropper. I may be wrong here, but I cannot recollect a definitive thread on here that explains what wires go to where to allow for speedo, indicators, neutral light, high beam, speedo light, tacho etc – it all gets “complicated”

All you need is simple tacho that takes a signal from between the HT coil and the plug to give you a pulse, with the ability to “halve” that signal (it’s a four stroke), and if you need it back lit, splice a feed from your speedo light

Recommendations – none. For one thing, I’m in the UK, and for the second, my ears tell me when I’m over revving a TW. The power drops off, my fillings start to fall out, and by-standers start to stare …..
After paroozing a bit, that’s why I came here, I just want a small mid-bar mounted tachometer. I can feel the shift points out fairly well, but it would be nice to know what rpms I’m at when running around redline, just for my own reference.

Something that resembles and old Casio calculator would do, but it seems like you HAVE to buy something with extra tassels and frills.

Hopefully someone has found a simple one and is willing to share their secret!

·
Registered
20,493 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
I went up that road. It looked nice at night when it lit up. The whole idea is a bunch of crap. Just shift when the mirrors vibrate and you can't see out of them. If you have to have one before you come to the conclusion it is worthless, do not spend anymore than ten dollars including shipping from Wal-Mart. Just don't do it. We all bolt stuff on these machines because we are bored over the winter. They serve no purpose. Doesn't anyone fall down on these things anymore? Save your money and buy a tank mounted Wolfman Enduro bag instead. You are welcome. If these bikes needed a tachometer I would buy one and believe you me, it would be the best one in the world. Ask anybody. Nobody should buy any other tachometer than the one I would have bought if these bikes needed a tachometer. Everyone should buy the tachometer I would buy for their TW if I thought these bikes needed a tachometer.

Nobody should buy a tachometer for their TW 200.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Cheap tach off ebay. I think I paid $7 for it but it might have been a little bit more. Probably is more now.

One wire wraps around the spark plug wire and the other to ground (I think there was a ground). I made a little metal bracket to mount mine on but I have seen others simply use zip ties. Riding a constant speed they work fine otherwise the reading lags a little bit time wise.

For the price how can you go wrong?

9000arpm.jpg

Edit: I found a link. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hour-Meter-Tachometer-Small-Engine-Spark-For-Motorcycle-Boat-Bike-Bicycle-DIS/301717114175?hash=item463fbdcd3f:g:Vq0AAOSwDNdV0-VE

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheap tach off ebay. I think I paid $7 for it but it might have been a little bit more. Probably is more now.

One wire wraps around the spark plug wire and the other to ground (I think there was a ground). I made a little metal bracket to mount mine on but I have seen others simply use zip ties. Riding a constant speed they work fine otherwise the reading lags a little bit time wise.

View attachment 196512

Edit: I found a link. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hour-Meter-Tachometer-Small-Engine-Spark-For-Motorcycle-Boat-Bike-Bicycle-DIS/301717114175?hash=item463fbdcd3f:g:Vq0AAOSwDNdV0-VE
Thanks Elime, that’s exactly what I was looking for. Casio calculator-cheap and simple ?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went up that road. It looked nice at night when it lit up. The whole idea is a bunch of crap. Just shift when the mirrors vibrate and you can't see out of them. If you have to have one before you come to the conclusion it is worthless, do not spend anymore than ten dollars including shipping from Wal-Mart. Just don't do it. We all bolt stuff on these machines because we are bored over the winter. They serve no purpose. Doesn't anyone fall down on these things anymore? Save your money and buy a tank mounted Wolfman Enduro bag instead. You are welcome. If these bikes needed a tachometer I would buy one and believe you me, it would be the best one in the world. Ask anybody. Nobody should buy any other tachometer than the one I would have bought if these bikes needed a tachometer. Everyone should buy the tachometer I would buy for their TW if I thought these bikes needed a tachometer.

Nobody should buy a tachometer for their TW 200.
Man I thought you were really comin after my tach post, deleted my previous response. I’m not all there today... but I was definitely ready to die on my tachometer cross...

·
Registered
960 Posts
TWBigBlake: Lets make peace in the valley. I will send you my tachometer. No postage-no anything. I got this. Email me at [email protected]. Give me a mailing address and I will get it out to you. I am serious. It is a Wal-Mart tach. Looks cool at night. Chrome and waterproof. The guys on this site have been good to me. I got a screaming deal on riding pants when I first got on this forum and a screaming deal on a Coleman pad (I got an affidavit that the prior owner never rode without pants on so I am positive I got a good deal). In all seriousness, give me a yell. You can have the tachometer. Thanks MBW

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
TWBigBlake: Lets make peace in the valley. I will send you my tachometer. No postage-no anything. I got this. Email me at [email protected]. Give me a mailing address and I will get it out to you. I am serious. It is a Wal-Mart tach. Looks cool at night. Chrome and waterproof. The guys on this site have been good to me. I got a screaming deal on riding pants when I first got on this forum and a screaming deal on a Coleman pad (I got an affidavit that the prior owner never rode without pants on so I am positive I got a good deal). In all seriousness, give me a yell. You can have the tachometer. Thanks MBW
I appreciate it, a lot! I should have read twice and responded once... I just put up a post about modded TWs that was laden with sarcasm and I think I started a bigblake hate-club.

I really would take yours but I ordered the tach from Elime’s post

Virtual fist bump for now ?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Michael Bryce Winnick you are hilarious!! I get your humour. For some people it might take a while. You are informative and funny. One time really fell over laughing so hard. Please keep it up.

I was thinking about getting a tach. After you said "Nobody should buy a tachometer for their TW 200", there is no way I am getting one. I only buy things you recommend.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts

View attachment 196512

I've been thinking about getting one of these to adjust my idle on different bikes and just remove it when I'm done. This looks like a good candidate.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have a little trail tech TTO tach just stuck to the idiot light box with some 3M tape. Same deal as the cheapo's, just wrap the wire around the plug lead. The TTO is a little better quality, and has a faster response rate. It also has a couple other features if you care, can show a clock, peak RPM (since the engine's been running, it resets each time you shut it off), a permanent hourmeter, and a resettable one.

Strictly necessary, no, but then what mod is.

I looked into getting a "matching" OEM tach off a XT, that used a similar speedo to the TW but had a matching size/shape tach as well. Unfortunately they were all mechanical drive tach's and the TW engine does not have a tach drive port. I did find some company that would covert old analog tach's to accept a digital signal but it was $$$$ and I didn't care to spend hundreds of dollars on this pursuit.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Mine came used with the crappy type someone posted before for around $8.00 on ebay.
Does it work? Yeah, somewhat. When I was doing the sprocket and chain change early on I was able to differentiate an almost slight difference but the feedback is so twitchy and wide it only really works well (if it does at all) stopped at a light or idling.

It is too bad there is not a mechanical alternative or unused electrical connector for a nice tach add-on.
But these TW's are as bargain-basement as you can get so "Use The Force" of this forum and experience of those before you to concentrate on better mods.
For $8.00 I suppose it might make you feel better like the sprocket and/or jetting alchemy.

Seems to be the most common. Can't see in the dark or sunlight.
I think I only looked at it and took this picture today because I was in the garage and rest this thread. Forgot it was there.
If and when I sell the TW I will definitely say "comes with a tach", Ha:
IMG_3401.jpg

Hours, how accurate who the hell knows? Folks use these on lawn mowers too.
If it was a real competition motorcycle like a KTM or Husky I'd be getting ready for an engine re-build.
Fortunately it's just a super fun bike that laughs at "hours", HaHa
IMG_3402.jpg

·
Registered
305 Posts
My buddy's 500EXC has over 500hrs on it and the engine is fresh as the day it left the factory. Compression is on the upper end of spec, a valve check at 250hrs required no adjustment, at 500hrs, one valve got a very small shim change, it was actually a touch loose, not tight. My Beta 300 (2 stroke) is over 200hrs and is also showing no signs of being tired.

Meanwhile my buddies with Japanese 250s/450's are lucky to get 50-60hrs out of them, while rattling on about "Japanese reliability" and how a Euro bike will be unreliable and high maintenance, better go with a heavy turd like a 450L that barely runs out of the box and needs an oil change every 12 yards. My experience is just the opposite, at least when it comes to high performance thumpers. KTM/Beta is the way to go.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts