TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the red 19kg spring to replace my stock rear spring. Ive taken it to 3 shops and they cant seem to compress it enough to put the collars back on. I was wondering if maybe
Yamaha made a change to the rear shock for 17. The spring does look 2 inches longer then the stock one. I also noticed I have a different type of tension adjuster on this shock then what shows in the videos.

·
Registered
6,072 Posts
This is the first that I have heard that the 2017's have a new shock. I am "shocked :eek:" that Yamaha actually made a change to the TW!

Let's see some pics of that shock. It must not be an upgrade if you are looking to replace the spring already.

I don't remember the red spring being significantly longer that the stock yellow one.

100_4733.JPG

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the first that I have heard that the 2017's have a new shock. I am "shocked :eek:" that Yamaha actually made a change to the TW!

Let's see some pics of that shock. It must not be an upgrade if you are looking to replace the spring already.

I don't remember the red spring being significantly longer that the stock yellow one.

View attachment 103674
I'll post some pictures tomorrow. My stock spring is black and no where near at thick as your yellow one.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Yeah I just did my 2016 spring and I don't remember it being that much longer than the stock spring. Your rear shock is definitely different than mine and when I look at the parts diagrams there are different part numbers for the two years. Yamaha obviously changed the shock for 2017. I know my local shop was barely able to squeeze it on and I had it on the longest setting or softest position. Bummer if you can't get it to fit, the 19kg spring was a massive improvement over stock. It's the only aftermarket spring that I know of as well. Maybe you could have cannon racecraft make you one if worse comes to worse. The procycle 19kg is straight rate.

If it helps I just measured my stock black spring uncompressed and it measured about 7.5" tall. Is yours that same length?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Check with Procycle, maybe they accidentally sent you a different red spring, wrong length. Maybe someone can measure a stock shock from another year. Maybe the new one is shorter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I just did my 2016 spring and I don't remember it being that much longer than the stock spring. Your rear shock is definitely different than mine and when I look at the parts diagrams there are different part numbers for the two years. Yamaha obviously changed the shock for 2017. I know my local shop was barely able to squeeze it on and I had it on the longest setting or softest position. Bummer if you can't get it to fit, the 19kg spring was a massive improvement over stock. It's the only aftermarket spring that I know of as well. Maybe you could have cannon racecraft make you one if worse comes to worse. The procycle 19kg is straight rate.

If it helps I just measured my stock black spring uncompressed and it measured about 7.5" tall. Is yours that same length?

My stock spring measures 6 1/4 inches uncompressed. I don't think there's a way to make this spring fit, it looks like you'd have to compress the red spring almost entirely to get it to the point you could put the collars on. I do think they changed the shock on the 17's. So I'm now stuck with a 130 dollar spring that doesn't fit.
Thanks for everyone's help.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
My stock spring measures 6 1/4 inches uncompressed. I don't think there's a way to make this spring fit, it looks like you'd have to compress the red spring almost entirely to get it to the point you could put the collars on. I do think they changed the shock on the 17's. So I'm now stuck with a 130 dollar spring that doesn't fit.
Thanks for everyone's help.
I would call Procycle and explain the situation. This is the first time we've heard that Yamaha has changed something on the TW suspension since inception.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Procycle should take it back because it's not the correct part. I'm not that familiar with the stock rear spring but I don't remember it being wound that progressively. The red spring would have to be compressed way to much to fit. And I'd bet it would leave you with limited travel before the coils bound.
Call procycle before messing around more with that spring.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Procycle should take it back because it's not the correct part. I'm not that familiar with the stock rear spring but I don't remember it being wound that progressively. The red spring would have to be compressed way to much to fit. And I'd bet it would leave you with limited travel before the coils bound.
Call procycle before messing around more with that spring.
I had called them yesterday, they said they have no info on any changes to the shock for 17. Ill call them again on Monday, and confirm they are different, and they should update their fitment years on the website for that spring. The only bad thing is its a bit scratched up now, with the 3 shops trying to install it, we will see what they say.

·
Registered
286 Posts
On chaparral's website they list the shock absorber assembly for 2016 as part number 5FY-22210-00-33 and 2017 as part number B75-22210-00-00. Obviously they are different and Yamaha changed the rear shock design.

·
Registered
13,810 Posts
Looking at the bottom of the shock shown, it looks like Yamaha did make a change indeed. (Picture did or may have turned sideways but I copied it since I couldn't see it when posted in the OP's post)

·
Registered
6,072 Posts
Yep, it sure looks like Yamaha changed the shock/spring on us. I wonder if the promotional propaganda for the 2017's mention this. The stock spring from my 2005 measures 7.5" in overall length. If your stock spring measures 6.25", I can understand your problem.

There should be no problem returning your red spring to ProCycle (if there is, ask to speak with Mike Gold, aka "Mr. Bracket". He is a fellow forum member and I am sure he will help to take care of this problem).

I would be interested in hearing from other 2017 owners about what they think of this new shock/spring on their bikes.

TW Spring.jpg

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
This is shocking now there are "three" changes to the bike since 1987. A disk brake, carb and now a shock.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
EVH, Here might be a solution. I have a spare shock here from a 1991 TW. You can have it for $20 plus the shipping. I know for sure the red spring will fit on it so you could keep your 2017 shock in tact and I am sure the old shock with the red spring would fit right on to your TW.

I do wonder why they changed the shock after all these year and weather or not it is any better or the adjustments make much difference at all.

GaryL

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
EVH, Here might be a solution. I have a spare shock here from a 1991 TW. You can have it for $20 plus the shipping. I know for sure the red spring will fit on it so you could keep your 2017 shock in tact and I am sure the old shock with the red spring would fit right on to your TW.

I do wonder why they changed the shock after all these year and weather or not it is any better or the adjustments make much difference at all.

GaryL
Thank you for the offer, I'll let you know if I decide to go that route. On a positive note, the local yamaha dealer that tried to install the spring, banged up the shock really badly, and broke the plastic washer near the
spring adjuster, they just called and said they are ordering me a new shock no charge.

Thanks again for everyone's help :)

1 - 20 of 67 Posts