TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Reddave rides again!!! Then walks...

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  reddave 
#1 ·
So just got my TW up and running after roughly 2 months of wasting time with "professionals," then finally handling the situation myself - as I should have just done in the first place...Anyway! I went for a ride today around the local jeep trail and had a blast riding again for what felt like the first time in ages. The bike is running the best it has since I've owned it. Then I got to my usual turn-around and heard my rear tire make contact with something that sounded like it may have pinched it. So instead of turning around and heading home I stop and take a look. Well, sure enough, right away I spot a nail in the tire. This is where I made a big mistake...I thought to myself, "I have Ride-On in the tubes - so pull the nail and watch it work!" Lesson learned!!! Ride-On didn't do jack. The rear tire went totally flat in about 1/8th mile. Maybe the puncture was too far over? So, I ended my "ride" by walking the bike about 3.5 miles back to the house. It was no fun at all! A new tube is inbound, and it's time to assemble a field repair kit.

#3 ·
If it was "pinched" over by the rim; or a nail over at the sidewall - I think I remember that you might have luck if you lay the bike over to get the Ride-On to the puncture and let it sit awhile to try and seal it.

Don't try riding it home that way (leaned way over to the puncture side) or you'll just be going in circles in one direction!!!

Pushing sucks! I think of Bananachunks riding his CB500 to Moab. If anything went wrong out on the trails - that would be a helluva push back to San Francisco!

#5 ·
Well, I guess the good news is maybe I'm in a little bit better shape! I don't know why it didn't seal, the nail was only about an inch from the centerline of the tire, so Ride-On should have done what it was supposed to. Rest assured, the next time I find a nail in my tire and don't hear escaping air - I will leave the nail alone until I return home. (What is this amateur hour?)

Reactions: Fred
#6 ·
Ride on really isn't guaranteed to seal a tire with a tube. It seems to do a great job on a tire without a tube though. It might (fingers crossed) help seal it or slow down the leak so that's why I use it.

Reactions: Elvesus
#7 ·
Next time push the nail back in. Perhaps the gods may smile upon you and the leak will stop. Worked for me with my Ride-On equipped tubed Duro ATV tire.
Noticed a nail in the TW one day out on the trail, had no idea how long it had been in there. Pulling nail initiated a leak so I pushed nail back in hissing stopped.
Rode for another two years without need to ever add air

#8 ·
Haha, that thought had occurred to me, Fred! The trouble was as I freed it from the tire with the back of my knife, the nail went sailing into space. I tried to find it with no luck. An interesting twist on the Ride-On sealant - I decided today to air up the tire and see what happened. It started hissing right away but after rotating the wheel around a few times the hissing stopped. Right now it seems to be holding 20psi. Sure wish that could have happened out on the trail!

#9 ·
Just wanted to comment that the Ride-On sealant has held steady so far, and although the new tube arrived today, I do not plan to install it just yet. I rode out to Wellington Lake yesterday to add some miles and wet a line. Pulled in a 17" Rainbow after a few dozen casts, before the horde of non-biting flies along the shore drove me away. Lost about 2psi there and back again, but also realized when I returned that I did not replace the valve stem cap! Really been off the ball, lately. One of these days I going to make sure I take pics to upload! I'm still getting used these "social media" type things...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.