TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The only reference I can find for the oil drain thread size is THIS link here. If it is M35x15mm, then I found a CHEAP TAP on eBay that I'll use to clean up the threads a little better. Offered $27.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Oil flush #4 came out even better looking! I found some odd stuff in the oil this time, however. Seemed to be a "ribbon" of sludge? I didn't find any of it in the oil filter - any ideas what it is?

Water Rectangle Wood Toy Gas

Eye Eyelash Plant Insect Grass

·
Registered
281 Posts
Strange and interesting 🤨…. I wonder if you can complete fill the case with kerosene or diesel and leave it over night and drain… guess the risk could be clutch contamination, but looks like you got some stuff in there anyway.
best of luck 🤞

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Parts arrived today from RMATVMC! I replaced the o-rings for the starter, cam chain cover, and also the one under the oil filter cover. I also ordered some side cover gaskets I'll need in the future. I noticed the left-side cover gasket for the TTR was only about $12 and this engine happens to be leaking from the left-side cover so, I ordered one up. The last oil flush sparked my curiosity and I couldn't help myself but pull the cover for inspection. Everything looked pretty good inside, just a few small specs of rust that wiped right off with a rag. Looks like someone used way too much liquid gasket! I imagine that explains the crap that came out last time...

Crankset Automotive tire Gear Bicycle chain Vehicle brake

Hand Blue Bicycle part Finger Bicycle tire

·
Super Moderator
15,693 Posts
Following your thread as I am currently doing exactly what you are. Xt225 motor swap. I am stuck at the flywheel removal stage, the puller wont budge the flywheel on the old stuffed motor. I've needed a compressor for a while so im saving for one and will buy a rattle gun to get it off.
I tried using a ratchet to remove the flywheel once upon a time. It didn't work. I'm so glad I got an electric "rattle gun". It helps take the flywheel off in seconds (or a second). I've used it so much over the years. I do have an air impact gun I use as well but the electric one seems to be more powerful and works on vehicle lug nuts too.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I've got a cheap pneumatic air gun I purchased when my 20V DeWalt impact driver failed to remove the flywheel nut from the 1988 engine currently in my TW. I'll be using it again soon! Today I ordered the piston/cylinder top-end kit that @Ski Pro 3 mentioned in his TTR upgrade mod thread - seen here:
Cylinder Piston Gasket Top End Set Bore 70mm For Yamaha XT225 TTR225 TTR230 | eBay
Going over the item description, the seller claims "Includes High-Compression Hardened Aluminum Piston Kit" although, no compression ratio is specified. I'm intrigued to see if after assembly my PSI readings are similar to Gerry's.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I say do the swap and run it. The top end can be rebuilt at any time.

The real danger with these projects is letting them get gradually pushed back farther into the refrigerator til they grow moldy and the Wife tosses them out.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
Ron would need about 125 years at a leisurely pace to finish everything he’s got and has planned at his sprawling estate. But nothing on blocks covered by a blue torn Costco tarp. He IS organized!! P

·
Registered
401 Posts
I would just keep flushing. Get a couple 5 quart jugs, around $30, and do an oil change or two per day until it comes clean. I did 10 I think before it wasn't all dark after 15 minute runs.
At change 5 I used a motor flush. The flush instructions say to add 1 quart to a motor. Since motors normally use 5 quarts, I used 1/5th of the flush. Further says to use it on a warmed up motor, start and let idle, do NOT rev motor!, then flush. It's like kicking a hornet's nest; really stirred up the sludge! I would also not recommend exercising the clutch while using a flush in the oil.
I would not break down the motor or even remove the cover. Gaskets are not cheap and you don't want your new components exposed to contaminants until the motor flushes clean.

I wanted to preserve the TW motor as much as possible, so nothing is gleaned off it to the TTR motor. I bought the interchange parts off eBay for good prices and that allows me to test the motor and do a 1-day swap when I get the time and courage to get in there.
Ski, you wouldn’t have a complete list of the total parts you bought for your one-day swap, would you? A six pack of Oregon IPA in exchange? I’d really like to go your route and will start accumulate what I need early on. I’ve read every post here on the swap, Itll hurt to do it all at once (about 5 hours total). Thanks man! P

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
Following your thread as I am currently doing exactly what you are. Xt225 motor swap. I am stuck at the flywheel removal stage, the puller wont budge the flywheel on the old stuffed motor. I've needed a compressor for a while so im saving for one and will buy a rattle gun to get it off.
Are you sure you need to remove the flywheel? My 1999 TTR225 has the same flywheel and stator as my TW200.

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
I tried using a ratchet to remove the flywheel once upon a time. It didn't work. I'm so glad I got an electric "rattle gun". It helps take the flywheel off in seconds (or a second). I've used it so much over the years. I do have an air impact gun I use as well but the electric one seems to be more powerful and works on vehicle lug nuts too.
Ditto
One of the best tools I've ever bought. I found mine, a Milwaukee, at Home Depot Yellow Tag return. 1/2 off.

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
I've got a cheap pneumatic air gun I purchased when my 20V DeWalt impact driver failed to remove the flywheel nut from the 1988 engine currently in my TW. I'll be using it again soon! Today I ordered the piston/cylinder top-end kit that @Ski Pro 3 mentioned in his TTR upgrade mod thread - seen here:
Cylinder Piston Gasket Top End Set Bore 70mm For Yamaha XT225 TTR225 TTR230 | eBay
Going over the item description, the seller claims "Includes High-Compression Hardened Aluminum Piston Kit" although, no compression ratio is specified. I'm intrigued to see if after assembly my PSI readings are similar to Gerry's.
Yeah baby! 229 cc's of thunder! Ha!
My compression jumped 10psi with the YFM250 cam in it. Fred put one in his bike too. He says he can really feel the low end torque improvement.

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
Ski, you wouldn’t have a complete list of the total parts you bought for your one-day swap, would you? A six pack of Oregon IPA in exchange? I’d really like to go your route and will start accumulate what I need early on. I’ve read every post here on the swap, Itll hurt to do it all at once (about 5 hours total). Thanks man! P
No, I don't have a list. A list would include prices and DEAR LORD, I don't want to know how much I've got into this hobby of mine. Ha!
But let me see if I can remember:
1. bracket and clutch arm to convert the angle the clutch cable to a TW200 style. The bracket bolts to the bottom two bolts on the left of the cylinder. The clutch arm is held in with a screw above the counter shaft.
2. Stator and Rotor for late model TW200. However, after I got it, I took the cover off the 1999 TTR225 and it's the same as my TW200 except for the connector on the stator windings. So I'll swap the stator and sell the rotor/flywheel.
3. starter clutch assembly, but also do not need this as it's also a duplicate. Bolts onto the back side of the rotor/flywheel.
4. The countershaft sprocket extension
5. TW200 side cover
6.Both carb boots; the one that bolts to the cylinder and the one between the carb and air box. I got both because they get brittle, hard and shrink. Brand new they are soft and supple.
7. TUSK top end gasket kit for the YFM250. Kit even includes valve seals!!!
Here's a link:
8. Gasket side cover kit for 225. Needed the clutch side. The stator side gasket is included with the counter shaft extension as a kit. Plus it has fresh gaskets for stuff like the cam chain tensioner, exhaust pipe, plus the head gasket will work for the larger 229cc cylinder.
9. XT225 side cover with the plug for the kick starter. I added a kick starter and this was easier than punching out the TTR cover.
10. YFM250 complete head. I destroyed my cam by forgetting to tighten the cam gear bolt. Got this head for $50 and a YFM250 second cam from CJ7pilot. So I gave the head to Fred and used the cam from CJ7.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Yeah baby! 229 cc's of thunder! Ha!
Hell yeah, Brother! Thank you very much for that list. I was planning on being wise and replacing the valve seals while I had the head off - that Tusk top-end kit is perfect! I read about the YFM250 camshaft's torque improvement on your TTR thread and I've been looking for a deal on one ever since. A low-end torque improvement would suit my preferred riding terrain rather nicely.

Reactions: Westieterrier

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
Hell yeah, Brother! Thank you very much for that list. I was planning on being wise and replacing the valve seals while I had the head off - that Tusk top-end kit is perfect! I read about the YFM250 camshaft's torque improvement on your TTR thread and I've been looking for a deal on one ever since. A low-end torque improvement would suit my preferred riding terrain rather nicely.
Check with CJ7pilot. He's liquidating and I think he may have another.

Reactions: reddave

·
Registered
401 Posts
No, I don't have a list. A list would include prices and DEAR LORD, I don't want to know how much I've got into this hobby of mine. Ha!
But let me see if I can remember:
1. bracket and clutch arm to convert the angle the clutch cable to a TW200 style. The bracket bolts to the bottom two bolts on the left of the cylinder. The clutch arm is held in with a screw above the counter shaft.
2. Stator and Rotor for late model TW200. However, after I got it, I took the cover off the 1999 TTR225 and it's the same as my TW200 except for the connector on the stator windings. So I'll swap the stator and sell the rotor/flywheel.
3. starter clutch assembly, but also do not need this as it's also a duplicate. Bolts onto the back side of the rotor/flywheel.
4. The countershaft sprocket extension
5. TW200 side cover
6.Both carb boots; the one that bolts to the cylinder and the one between the carb and air box. I got both because they get brittle, hard and shrink. Brand new they are soft and supple.
7. TUSK top end gasket kit for the YFM250. Kit even includes valve seals!!!
Here's a link:
8. Gasket side cover kit for 225. Needed the clutch side. The stator side gasket is included with the counter shaft extension as a kit. Plus it has fresh gaskets for stuff like the cam chain tensioner, exhaust pipe, plus the head gasket will work for the larger 229cc cylinder.
9. XT225 side cover with the plug for the kick starter. I added a kick starter and this was easier than punching out the TTR cover.
10. YFM250 complete head. I destroyed my cam by forgetting to tighten the cam gear bolt. Got this head for $50 and a YFM250 second cam from CJ7pilot. So I gave the head to Fred and used the cam from CJ7.
Thanks Ski! As always, very helpful. Post saved. P

21 - 40 of 75 Posts