TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy a better skid plate. I have read a bunch of old posts on different ways to reduce the echo off the plate, but I can't find if any of these ways worked. anybody know?

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
On my DR650 I sprayed the plate with undercoating put a few coats on.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
twilight I just wanted to hear from someone who is already using an aftermarket skidplate. it is going to cost me north of $175 for a cheaper plate and I don't take that lightly. I was just asking for some constructive help

·
Registered
996 Posts
Unfortunately I do not have the answer. I was going to try gluing on strips of old inner tube before I mounted the ricochet; but worried about oil or crud build-up.

What I did was cut small pieces of a popped rear tube and cut holes for bolts in them; then put them between every metal to metal contact point. Bolt head - tube - plate - tube - washer - tube - nut. Also between curved rear mounting hangers and frame, and a strip across the rear of the plate where it snugs up against the frame.

It does not sound bad to me - BUT - until I hear it next to, or swap rides with a straight bolted on ricochet; I still cannot answer your question...except "I" have not noticed any bad sound effect from it this way. -J-

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I certainly noticed a little more engine noise when i went from the factory plate to the aluminum ricochet/msr/moose style plate. Not enough noise to bother me.

At the end of the day you have a choice to make. Significantly better engine protection or slightly less noise.

I chose engine protection as i don't really want to bash a rock thru the case.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I understand your wish to reduce engine noise, as I notice the "machinery like" sound my TW makes. But, I also think it is a good thing to be able to hear those mechanical sounds so that I can hear if something is not right with the engine. Just my 2 cents worth. My opinion is worth what you paid for it. lol

·
Super Moderator
17,639 Posts
Unfortunately I do not have the answer. I was going to try gluing on strips of old inner tube before I mounted the ricochet; but worried about oil or crud build-up.

What I did was cut small pieces of a popped rear tube and cut holes for bolts in them; then put them between every metal to metal contact point. Bolt head - tube - plate - tube - washer - tube - nut. Also between curved rear mounting hangers and frame, and a strip across the rear of the plate where it snugs up against the frame.

It does not sound bad to me - BUT - until I hear it next to, or swap rides with a straight bolted on ricochet; I still cannot answer your question...except "I" have not noticed any bad sound effect from it this way. -J-

I agree with using rubber washers in between the skid plate and engine.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Grewen.

I do not have an aftermarket skid plate, and I haven't really noticed any noise out of the stock one, but this may help; maybe.

Do you see the oil cooler (aluminum color) in the front of the engine? See the side tubes? Those, from stock, were hard bolted right to the cooler tower header (orange; or more precisely, Power Red ;)) I was afraid of because of vibration that those hold down straps (also orange) would cut into the cooler's tubes and cause a leak.

I used 3/4" low pressure hydraulic hose (grey in color) (you can also use regular automotive heater hose in your case) and cut it lenth wise into two pieces. Then cut to length. If you fold the "flatish" piece against itself, you can notch it with a pair of dykes to give you a hole for your bolt or screw. And then the tension of the fastener sandwiches it into place and it is held there.

It may be a rather cheap option for you. And you are not going to wear through that hose.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a ricochet plate on my TW. I noticed the engine noise got louder. I picked up a product called Dyna-Mat from a guy that is into hot-rods. He told me they use it in the floor and door panels to lessen noise. It did work. Look around in your area for someone that is into hot-rods. They should be able to help you. Mark

·
Registered
338 Posts
I think a skid plate is only marginally effective unless you line it with a thick rubber pad to distribute the shock of a big hit. It is kinda like a helmet shell w/o a liner....In a big hit, casing, I call it, the skid plate will bend and hit the bottom of the motor concentrating the forces in a small area and possibly breaking the case or damaging the seal between the 2 case halves. A thick rubber pad acts as a shock absorber and distributes the concentrated forces over a larger area, hopefully not damaging the case. All trials bikes I am familiar with use such a liner. My TW has a 3/8" thick hard rubber pad. I slightly dimpled the pad with a grinder in the spots that the engine case "high" points had left impressions in the pad reducing pressure points and making it easier to install. This pad also should reduce echo or noise, something I am not concerned with...I am using one of the aftermarket ones from Utah, cant remember the brand, but it is holding up well...hope this helps...

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have the Ricochet plate on, and while it sounds a little different than it did with the factory skid plate, I dont know that it is much louder.
Before, it was just the low pitch stuff, now I can hear some higher tones mixed in as well. Certainly not objectionable to me.

They do make a sound dampening foam with a heavy rubber backing for use on boat engine compartments, you can get it at West Marine. The stuff I have used on my boat is about an inch thick, but compresses to about a quarter inch. It has foil on one face and rubber on the other face, with foam bonded in between. In a totally enclosed application it really absorbs sound a lot.
I suppose you could add that between the plate and the engine if you felt like the sound had increased, or you wanted to keep the plate from resonating.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I have Ricochet plates on mine and, like others, may have noticed slightly more noise but not much. I sprayed them with rattle can bed liner (don't remember the brand) but when I change the oil it runs on the plate and turned the bed liner gooey. Whatever you use, consider it will have to withstand oil and heat.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I think a skid plate is only marginally effective unless you line it with a thick rubber pad to distribute the shock of a big hit. It is kinda like a helmet shell w/o a liner....In a big hit, casing, I call it, the skid plate will bend and hit the bottom of the motor concentrating the forces in a small area and possibly breaking the case or damaging the seal between the 2 case halves. A thick rubber pad acts as a shock absorber and distributes the concentrated forces over a larger area, hopefully not damaging the case. All trials bikes I am familiar with use such a liner. My TW has a 3/8" thick hard rubber pad. I slightly dimpled the pad with a grinder in the spots that the engine case "high" points had left impressions in the pad reducing pressure points and making it easier to install. This pad also should reduce echo or noise, something I am not concerned with...I am using one of the aftermarket ones from Utah, cant remember the brand, but it is holding up well...hope this helps...
I don't know what yours is made of but my aftermarket skid plate is made of 1/4" thick aluminum and its not going to bend without a tremendous amount of force. If i did hit it hard enough and it bent the 1/2" or so it needed to hit the case i would have a lot more to worry about than my skid plate, like my knees or maybe my life. I have hammered it off thousands of rocks and i have never seen even the slightest hint of bending it. The factory swiss cheese model on the other hand was useless and i could bend that thing just riding down the street.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts