TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize this is only a minor 'issue', but not only does it improve the looks of the T-Dub, it also offers a small functional improvement too. I figured this had already been addressed, but was unable to find anything on the subject here on this uber-informative forum, so I figured it was worth posting.

I'm talking about the reflectors mounted to the lower fork clamps. When I recently became the proud owner of a 2007 T-Dub, I was walking around it admiring it like we all do when we get a new 'toy', and they immediately 'stuck out' like a sore thumb - and I mean that literally. Of course I want to keep it street legal and remain as visible as possible, so I knew better than to just remove them.

As assembled, they point forward like little awkward ears and also create a catch point for twigs, vines, etc. when riding an uncut trail.

So.... I just grabbed a socket wrench and in about two minutes I had reversed the reflectors so that the brackets point toward the rear of the bike. This quick fix instantly improves the look by centering the reflectors on the forks and nearly eliminates the pitchfork tine effect of the stock configuration. Oh yeah, don't worry - the reversal poses no steering clearance issues whatsoever.

I realize I could've just posted "Reverse your front reflectors. It'll look better and work better too." ...but that wouldn't have been very fun, now would it?

Keep the dirty side DOWN!

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
I had to go look at mine after reading this. It looks like one of the PO's removed all of the reflectors from my TW:(

Does anyone have an extra set they don't want/need? I think there's supposed to be one in back under the plate too? If so, please PM me what you want for them. Every little bit helps on the street around my parts. Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, at least you can look on the bright side (reflector pun intended). Once you get a set, you can install them 'correctly' in the first place!

On the subject of the rear reflector - Yes, there's supposed to be one there. However, it is mounted on a gangly-looking bracket and serves very little purpose since the tail/brake light on the T-Dubs are illuminated anytime the bike is running, so there's not much 'value-added' by that reflector other than the off-chance of being out at night with a burnt out tail lamp. That said, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Sarge,

I also had the same thought about the mounting of the front reflectors. Changing them as you did was the first thing I did to my Tdub.

Joe

·
Registered
250 Posts
I had to go look at mine after reading this. It looks like one of the PO's removed all of the reflectors from my TW:(

Does anyone have an extra set they don't want/need? I think there's supposed to be one in back under the plate too? If so, please PM me what you want for them. Every little bit helps on the street around my parts. Thanks.
I think I may have the front ones without the bracket, and I could take of the rear for you. I'm using the front brackets for my LED aux lights

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Yer such a Rebel:p

·
Registered
18 Posts
When I got my bike, I stared at those brackets and thought, wonder what those were for? DUH, reflectors! I'm surprised the dealer I bought it from wasn't required to bring it up to code before selling it to me.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
When I got my bike, I stared at those brackets and thought, wonder what those were for? DUH, reflectors! I'm surprised the dealer I bought it from wasn't required to bring it up to code before selling it to me.
Want to sell the brackets?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
rbm, I'll need to check to see if the reflectors/brackets are still about from my parts bike. If so, they are yours for shipping. I'll check tomorrow. I know I don't have the rear reflector, it went with the tail light assembly months ago. I'm getting down to nubbins on this bike and want to see the end of it. Tom

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm going to see if the dealer will give me some reflectors.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
rbm, I'll need to check to see if the reflectors/brackets are still about from my parts bike. If so, they are yours for shipping. I'll check tomorrow. I know I don't have the rear reflector, it went with the tail light assembly months ago. I'm getting down to nubbins on this bike and want to see the end of it. Tom
Thank you sir! Send me a PM and I'll send you the shipping.

·
Registered
108 Posts
GS, great minds think alike my friend! :p

Those have been bothering me ever since I bought my DUB. I'm in the process of finding a replacement reflector for the front end, as I'm going to use those brakets to mount a pair of LED lights for really lighting up the back country roads (i.e. deer and other critters) driving to work every morning at 4:30am.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
I am riding my TW far more than I am standing around looking at it, so I could care less where my reflectors are located! ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts