TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How's everybody doing?

It's been over six months since I sold my beloved little TW...she was getting "up there" in the mileage department, so I thought it was time to move along.
I bought a 2006 Super Sherpa as a replacement and I 've got to tell you...it's been one thing after another with this @%$# thing!
The thing I miss most about my TW is that even though she was kinda gutless and couldn't roost to save her own life...she was dependable, reliable and most of all, she was "plug and play"...
I knew that when I hit the starter, she would jump to life and after a few minutes of warmup, we'd be ready to go from sea level to 2900m without skipping a beat.
This Kawasaki is the most cold-blooded, temperamental piece of machinery I've ever owned...I thought I had finally "dialled her in" as far a the 20 minute warmup was concerned...changed some jets and a few tweaks...she would fire up easily after a few cranks.
When I got her above 500m though...she starts acting like she has asthma...rough idling, stalling...all disappeared when I got back down to ground level, but it's un-nerving trying to work your way out of a 2ft waterbar only to have it stall halfway out the other side!
I've owned this thing for almost 6 months, but I've only put about 400 miles on it...most of that two weeks ago while we were on the Island.
In case you don't know...it's a real PITA pulling the carb on this thing...yet it's necessary to do so in order to change jets and do adjustments...not very "user friendly" if you're a tinkerer as I am.

Anyways, today was the last straw...she's back up for sale...I'm looking to pick up an XT, but who knows...maybe I'll be keeping my eyes open for another TW. Heaven knows, it's familiar territory...not to mention a Yamaha!

·
Super Moderator
18,060 Posts
Hmmm. I have thought about getting a Super Sherpa before, didn't know that about them.. Sorry for your troubles bro..

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Hi TW_in_BC, your old bike is still going strong at 48180 Km.
Took it out to blue mountain today and did a few blue and black diamond trails.
Almost flipped it, got it stuck for a few minutes in a mud bog and bend both the shifter and break pedal.
Great little bike.
If you are going for an XT and don't want to fiddle with the carb, get a 2013 or newer as they are fuel injected.
There are a couple of TWs for sale on Craigslist right now.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi TW_in_BC, your old bike is still going strong at 48180 Km.
Took it out to blue mountain today and did a few blue and black diamond trails.
Almost flipped it, got it stuck for a few minutes in a mud bog and bend both the shifter and break pedal.
Great little bike.
If you are going for an XT and don't want to fiddle with the carb, get a 2013 or newer as they are fuel injected.
There are a couple of TWs for sale on Craigslist right now.
Glad to hear that you are enjoying it as much as I did...although I never did any black diamond trails, at least...not on purpose!
The toughest ride I ever had with it was on the East side of the Church loop up by Tamihi...once I started down, there was nowhere to turn around!

Unfortunately, I have to sell this albatross before I can buy another one...and I'd hate to take a loss on it (paid too much to begin with, in hindsight)...but I probably will anyway.
Apparently, the XT's have the same carb but because of the way they're installed, it's easier to work on them.
I can't even pull the spark plug on the Sherpa without removing the fuel tank...Mind you, she has the smoothest transmission I've ever felt - like a hot knife through butter!
They are well built, but getting this one set up "just right" is proving to be more of a challenge than I want...
I miss my TW.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I can totally relate to your headache over getting something to run right. Total nightmare sometimes. Really makes you appreciate the good ones when they come along - and I know you know exactly what I mean by that!

This is kind of why I'm personally pretty much done with carburetors. I just bought a brand new OEM carburetor for my DR200 (22k mi. on it), because it began having serious problems recently and defied diagnosis. The new carb fixed those problems, but now I can sort of see why people feel the need to screw around with the jetting and stuff. I've never liked messing with jetting or other carb settings if I don't have to (never had to with my TW or with the Ninja 500). But man this DR200 is cold blooded as hell now (the previous owner had cut up the air box lid and put a much bigger pilot jet in it). Takes like two minutes to warm up enough to avoid bad lag and bog at lower RPM (CA-specific carburetor model...). Runs great after like ten minutes lol... I've only run it two or three times with the new carb though. Maybe I'll just use full choke for a minute every time I first start it, and/or give it hand fulls of throttle off the line whenever its cold to get it to move its sluggish ass past that bottom end pickup-lag. I would just slip the clutch a little more when cold; unfortunately this clutch tends to get a little moisture in it when the bike's been sitting, and I get a little nasty clutch chirping if I do anything more than gently ease the clutch out, before the engine is warmed up. I don't really care that much about it running "like crap" when it's cold, as long as it WORKS when cold, works better when warm, and isn't so far off that it's harming the engine. On the plus side, I'll bet it will get five or ten more MPG now :)

+1 on the new, fuel injected XT250's!

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
TW in BC, a season or two ago, I added a XT-225 to my fleet. Seems as well, they are noted to be a machine that takes a long time to warm-up. Much, much longer than my TW. I also had an issue with dying and not wanting to re-start. That I attributed to a 'thermal short' somewhere in the stator. With a new stator and pulsar coil that problem seems to have been dealt with. Sadly though, now I am a bit reluctant to take it up into the hills alone. Otherwise, feels to be a bit more motorcycle than the TW. Nicer suspension and the sixth gear is a nice option. Good luck. Gerry

·
Registered
299 Posts
Surprised to hear about your Super Sherpa issues, but I have heard they can be hard to start and warm up until you dial them in as stated in the Super Sherpa Adventure threads out there. I have also thought about picking one of these up to get me through until the KTM 390 Adventure and Honda 250 Rally come out; if they ever do... :rolleyes: There's a real clean one for sale just down the street from me, but it's over priced.

One difference to remember about the Kawasaki Super Sherpa and the Yamaha XT is the SS has a DOHV engine and the XT does not. The XT has 2 less valves pumping the air and fuel through the power maker. Also, the gearing on the SS is said to be one of the best for trail and street (three low gears and a huge range out to sixth). This makes for a very versatile bike.

If you give up on her and go for the XT, I'd recommend the newer EFI models also to make life easy for you. ;) Good luck!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
So it's official...
Sherpa is sold (thank goodness) and I am in the market for another Yamaha.
Looking for an XT...but if a TW comes along at the right price, I will gladly scoop it up!

I understand the differences between the two and they all played a BIG part in my getting rid of it as well...I'd rather be able to pop a valve cover off, than to have to remove the entire exhaust and CCT, just to "check" the valves.
...and shims under buckets!!! Aaaaaaaargh!

Granted I should have done my research BEFORE buying it, but if I had, I never would have bought it in the first place...availability of parts is another headache I didn't need.
I followed all the advice in the various threads, about jetting...and they addressed MOST of the issues, but not all of them.
As I see it, a 4-valved 250 should be able to roost when warmed up...this one couldn't /wouldn't. If I tuned her at sea level, she was temperamental at altitude. If I tuned her at altitude, she ran like crap back in the valley...I just couldn't be bothered to own something that needed so much attention...none of my other bikes did.
I spent more time tweaking and adjusting, than I did riding...owned her for six months and didn't even put 1000 miles on it.

But I have to say, she sure had a nice transmission...smooth as butter, it was a pleasure to shift that thing! But even though she was 1" taller than the TW, my knees would hurt after an hour or so of riding....must be the angle or something...it was awful.
Some bikes steal your heart..others just rob you blind...

This was one bike I DIDN'T regret selling.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just an update...I bought an '05 XT225 at the beginning of September.
Had to wait for the insurance on my DR to expire before I could get this one on the road.
Did a few of the requisite mods..."Z1"...#130/42.5 jets...removed snorkel...and the thing runs like a Swiss watch!
If I could have gotten the Sherpa to react this way to mods, I might have kept it....nah, who am I kidding...!

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
How's everybody doing?

It's been over six months since I sold my beloved little TW...she was getting "up there" in the mileage department, so I thought it was time to move along.
I bought a 2006 Super Sherpa as a replacement and I 've got to tell you...it's been one thing after another with this @%$# thing!
The thing I miss most about my TW is that even though she was kinda gutless and couldn't roost to save her own life...she was dependable, reliable and most of all, she was "plug and play"...
I knew that when I hit the starter, she would jump to life and after a few minutes of warmup, we'd be ready to go from sea level to 2900m without skipping a beat.
This Kawasaki is the most cold-blooded, temperamental piece of machinery I've ever owned...I thought I had finally "dialled her in" as far a the 20 minute warmup was concerned...changed some jets and a few tweaks...she would fire up easily after a few cranks.
When I got her above 500m though...she starts acting like she has asthma...rough idling, stalling...all disappeared when I got back down to ground level, but it's un-nerving trying to work your way out of a 2ft waterbar only to have it stall halfway out the other side!
I've owned this thing for almost 6 months, but I've only put about 400 miles on it...most of that two weeks ago while we were on the Island.
In case you don't know...it's a real PITA pulling the carb on this thing...yet it's necessary to do so in order to change jets and do adjustments...not very "user friendly" if you're a tinkerer as I am.

Anyways, today was the last straw...she's back up for sale...I'm looking to pick up an XT, but who knows...maybe I'll be keeping my eyes open for another TW. Heaven knows, it's familiar territory...not to mention a Yamaha!
I agree with your idea of picking up an XT next. I always get into trouble here making assumptions but I have broad shoulders so here goes. Sounds to me like you would be happy with the sherpa if only it was as reliable as a TW or XT. I will assume a few things here. You are a little younger, want to go a little faster and want something in between a slow rolling TW mule and a rip snorting tall seated MX type of bike. I have both 2006 TW 200 and a XT 225 out in my shed and both have under 200 miles on them so I am not the expert. Where the XT excels over the TW is probably what you would like. It has 6 gears, is lighter weight, has a much better seat and way better springs. It is a bit faster but not by much yet for a guy who likes to blast on the trails it is better suited to be tossed around by a more agile rider who likes to rip.

Being an older fellow who prefers to poke along slow and steady I prefer the stability of the TW off the roads but the XT sure is a big improvement when on the pavement as it rides smoother and can handle 65-70 MPH much better and at lower RPMs. Skinny tires probably makes the difference there along with 6th gear and better suspension. I think any younger guy would take the XT over the TW after just a short test ride on both trails and roads. My bikes being 2006 model year are pretty much the same all around as far as engines and simplicity but the XT has a few much nicer options like better brakes, O ring chain and better front fork travel. I am absolutely sure if I was 30 years younger and still full of piss and vinegar the XT 225 would be my ride.

GaryL

·
Registered
638 Posts
Well stated Gary. Except...

. I am absolutely sure if I was 30 years younger and still full of piss and vinegar the XT 225 would be my ride.

GaryL
I think you haven't quite run out "piss and vinegar";)

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Well stated Gary. Except...

I think you haven't quite run out "piss and vinegar";)
Quite right Sponge! I'm just not full like I used to be and I don't heal as fast as I once did. Bones brake, joints ache and my reflexes are diminished these days so that does slow one down to where a TW is a more satisfying ride.

GaryL

Reactions: jbfla

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I agree with your idea of picking up an XT next. I always get into trouble here making assumptions but I have broad shoulders so here goes. Sounds to me like you would be happy with the sherpa if only it was as reliable as a TW or XT. I will assume a few things here. You are a little younger, want to go a little faster and want something in between a slow rolling TW mule and a rip snorting tall seated MX type of bike...
GaryL
Well...there were several issues with the Sherpa, not the least of which, was the availability of parts! The fact that I couldn't remove the spark plug without pulling the tank was a big deal...and having to remove the entire exhaust AND the camchain tensioner just to CHECK the valve clearance was the deal-breaker.
Then...there was the issue with jetting the damn thing!

I appreciate your vote of confidence regarding my being "younger"...I am 56.
Faster isn't an issue with me...I have a DR650 that goes fast enough.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So it's been two years with the XT...and I still miss my TW.
Don't get me wrong, the XT is a fun and capable ride, but there's always that fixation with your 'first"...
I've done a few upgrades to "Spider -bike" (so named because it was owned by Peter Parker) and believe it or not, I can get the front wheel off the ground at a green light!
I've put about 14,000 miles on it in the time that I've owned it and even though it suits my needs...I am starting to watch Craigslist for any TW's in my area.
My wife and I used to ride two-up A LOT and I never questioned whether the Turkey-Whistle could handle it. The XT however, is renowned for it's cheap-ass rear hub that is made from a composite of aluminum and pasta, so I am afraid to put wifey on the back, lest I start snapping pieces! I even upgraded the rear spring to something a little beefier, but it didn't make much difference overall.

Now, I see that ProCycle has all kinds of parts to "upgrade" the TW to a snarling beast...I might be putting the XT up for sale come the Spring.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts