TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If we were still living in the 70's and I had platform shoes and bell-bottoms I -might- like that ugly TW logo on my '93 TW, but as we are not, I'd really like to remove that thing. Looking at it however, it appears it is almost fused to the tank and likely has a clearcoat paint layer over the top of it.

Short of having the tank completely sanded down to bare metal, if there anyway to remove this? A solid blue tank would be a vast improvement. Yeah, I could replace the whole thing with one of the plastic Clark tanks, but I'd prefer to do this "on the cheap" (Read, under $100) if I can. Ideas??

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have a '94 and you are 100% correct - the awful decal is underneath a clear coat and there is no easy way to get it off. Use patience, a sander and heat gun and you will eventually remove it all.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I just painted over mine, you can see a bit of a wave at the top that is the decal edge, but other than that it looks fine I think:

Before:

After:

On the bike:

And yeah I did paint over the stickers
I'm a lazy man who has a Clarke XT225 tank coming. Mostly painted the tank so I could see what black looked like on the machine.

·
Registered
185 Posts
And yeah I did paint over the stickers
I'm a lazy man who has a Clarke XT225 tank coming. Mostly painted the tank so I could see what black looked like on the machine.

Looks ok from the pics... when you say you painted over the stickers you mean the ones on the plastic other than the tank? I'm lazy too but mine peeled off almost in one piece, very easy... I was surprised. I was also tempted to paint some of the plastic but feared it would be hard to get paint to stick well on that kind of plastic. You painted the plastic parts too?

Eric

·
Registered
590 Posts
By stickers I meant the ones on top, they were very old on my bike and kind of fused on. I used a hammered finish paint that hides surface imperfections somewhat, plus an adhesion promoter to help stick things down.

The plastics were painted with Krylon Fusion, it's working reasonably well although it does chip a bit. I think there is better plastic painting products.

This was the bike in April:

·
Registered
185 Posts
By stickers I meant the ones on top, they were very old on my bike and kind of fused on. I used a hammered finish paint that hides surface imperfections somewhat, plus an adhesion promoter to help stick things down.

The plastics were painted with Krylon Fusion, it's working reasonably well although it does chip a bit. I think there is better plastic painting products.

This was the bike in April:

I like the 'after" version much better.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I also have a 93 with those god awful pink stickers. The two on side were made quick work with some Carb cleaner and shop rags. Didn't hurt the plastic any. As for the gas tank I thought of a couple different ways to go about it, razor knife, sanding discs, even sand blasting, but before making a big mess I though maybe some paint stripper. I didn't think it would work, I've used paint stripper before and wasn't impressed with the results. Ah, what the hell lets try it. I went down to the local Home Depot and picked some of Citristrip Safer Paint & Varnish Stripper. Wow,after about an hour no more nasty paint job and stickers.
Here's a pic of it in the works.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I also have a 93 with those god awful pink stickers. The two on side were made quick work with some Carb cleaner and shop rags. Didn't hurt the plastic any. As for the gas tank I thought of a couple different ways to go about it, razor knife, sanding discs, even sand blasting, but before making a big mess I though maybe some paint stripper. I didn't think it would work, I've used paint stripper before and wasn't impressed with the results. Ah, what the hell lets try it. I went down to the local Home Depot and picked some of Citristrip Safer Paint & Varnish Stripper. Wow,after about an hour no more nasty paint job and stickers.
Here's a pic of it in the works.

Interesting. I'm curious why you didn't take off the gas cap before doing this. I also didn't realize that the tank was made of plastic. Do you have an pics of the job finished with the tank repainted?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've seen a few that had a sheet of vinyl the same color as the tank and the size of the sticker applied and it looked great.
I believe it was on the old forum I had seen someone spray black rocker/gravel guard over their decals, sort of like the rubber pads they used to put on bikes in the 1960's.

·
Registered
10 Posts
@NK283...

That Citristrip looks like it made quick work of most of the paint, did the decals give you much trouble? After using the stripper (if I had a nickel...), did you have any issues with repainting? Any "after" pics?

Thanks...

·
Registered
16 Posts
The tank is made of metal. I think it's just the finish that makes it look plastic in the pic. The area's where the stickers were I had to use a medium/light sanding disc to finish it off, mostly because of the glue. I haven't painted it yet, still need to do some filler on a couple of small dents.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The tank is made of metal. I think it's just the finish that makes it look plastic in the pic. The area's where the stickers were I had to use a medium/light sanding disc to finish it off, mostly because of the glue. I haven't painted it yet, still need to do some filler on a couple of small dents.

Keep us updated on this project and post some pics of the finished tank when you can. If this all goes well for you, I may follow suit. Newer TW's have tasteful graphics, but these from the early 90's are just plain ugly.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts

<hmmm>
... I wonder if a follow-up with goo-gone would have worked on the sticker glue.

But hey... ya probably want to at least buff the surface before painting anyway, eh?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts