TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13,239 Posts
I recently acquired a 2002 XT225 tank and was wondering if it is possible to remove the XT decals without screwing up the paint? The tank is virtually like new albeit 15 years old........
TIA
If the clear coat is applied overtop of the decals I think you're kind of...have to settle for what it is unless you go the repainting route. If the decals are on top you can use a hair dryer or heat gun to soften the decal and then peel off.

I think I was able to remove the warning label's off my TW gas tank when I repainted it but the striping and Yamaha logo where under the clear coat.

·
Registered
19,213 Posts
The warning decal comes off easily with heat, WD-40, acetone, etc. However the Yamaha emblem and/or any factory tank decorations have a reported history of needing to be sanded away flush with the surrounding metal or they will ghost through any subsequent paint jobs and still be visible. I am only repeating something recalled from Lizrdbrth in years past. Perhaps your XT tank no longer has this "embossed", or raised paint, and thus might be defeated by a strong solvent or paint stripper.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I may have a cross dresser on my hands for the summer........XT tank and TW bottom! I am trying to decide whether I want to go full out camo and whether there is anyone on the Island that can do it......

Thanks for the info guys, I suspected the tank was clear coated when I ran my thumb nail over the edges of the decals........darn! I guess that I could put on a tank bag as an interim measure.....

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1 - 11 of 11 Posts