TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been contemplating re-painting my plastics for awhile now. I've never been a huge fan of jazzy squiggles and the like, so at the very least I'd like to remove the factory graphics and go with plain white plastics until I get a bigger tank and enough gumption to paint.

I almost put my fingernail under the edge of a decal today, but the only thing worse than jazzy graphics is half-peeled-off graphics and stained/scarred plastics.

With all of the custom paint jobs posted on here I'm sure there are a few folks with tips to offer on removing the factory graphics.

What should I expect if I do start to peel, and should I have any particular tools or products on hand to make my job easier?

·
Registered
13,654 Posts
+1, I did exactly what cptrout did and had no issues. Should there be a little residue, just use goo gone or similar gunk remover.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I parked my 97 in the sun for an hour or two, then just peeled them off, nothing left behind to deal with.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I peeled them in the cold and they were very brittle. Warming +10 for warming them up. Used goof off or something similar to take off the little bit of residue that remained.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Anyone have pictures of thier "naked" bikes? I've been contemplating this but a little to nervous to commit.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sounds good, can't wait to see it! I'm not a big fan of the blue and black "wisps" for lack of a better word.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hairdryer and lighter fluid did the trick. The vinyl graphics were ridiculously easy to peel off with just a little heat, but those little white and orange warning stickers were a real PITA, they took forever to pick off fleck by fleck.

Of course, there's no getting the graphics off of the tank, but I'm keeping the stock tank cherry anyway to resell once I install the Clarke tank.

I kept the "YAMAHA" decals for now, and added one of my own for my little white pony!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Darn it!!! I didn't realize the tank stickers are clear coated! I looked before and saw the sticker seam but didn't try to get my nail under there. Me thinks I'll keep my stickers on! I kinda wanted the all white look

·
Registered
374 Posts
Darn it!!! I didn't realize the tank stickers are clear coated! I looked before and saw the sticker seam but didn't try to get my nail under there. Me thinks I'll keep my stickers on! I kinda wanted the all white look

Here you go, all white look.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts