TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I use the OEM part or is there a more practical substitute? ...Like something silicone rubber with something to grip onto so it's easier to remove/replce?

·
Super Moderator
17,936 Posts
Once you have removed the OEM cap, you can leave it off. No need to plug it up again. Yamaha plugs them to discourage tampering with lean emission settings.

Everyone knows they run and start better with a little tweeking!! :)

·
Registered
806 Posts
I like to put a little plug in the hole to discourage dirt. inverted vacuum caps work. The real cool
thing to do is get an extended reach adjustment screw to facilitate field adjustment. Sometimes
you'll get a slight bit of crap in there and opening and readjusting will make it better.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks littletommy. I was kind of thinking no other carb I ever worked on had the plug thingy going for it.

arbolmano; What is this " extended reach adjustment screw thingy" you speak of? ...and vacuum caps?

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
I just carry the shaft of a cheap little screwdriver I ground to fit and cut off so I can get a pair of pliers on it. I haven't adjusted the pilot jet screw in 3 years. Neither have I ever put anything back to plug the hole....there is no entry into the carb from there unless the needle falls all the way out.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I don't have any piercings or tattoos, at least intentional ones, but between the hot exhaust and head fins I do have a few more identifying marks. It would be nice to have a way in there with out having to take the Lords name in vain.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Well, I don't have any piercings or tattoos, at least intentional ones, but between the hot exhaust and head fins I do have a few more identifying marks. It would be nice to have a way in there with out having to take the Lords name in vain.
Member Gregor was making the extended pilot screws and selling them here in one of the stickies in the beginning of sections. Not sure if he still makes them but I bought them for each of my T dubs and no more crispy knuckles.

GaryL

·
Registered
20,166 Posts
One can modify one's own pilot screw so it can be turned w/o tools nor burns. I soldered a small key shaped piece of brass to mine; a blade shape is soldered into the screw's screwdriver slot and which then extends downward ~ 1/2 inch then flares out into a dime sized shape I can grab and twist with my fingers. Others have drilled the needle and the welded/braised an Allen key into the drilled hole to create a twistable "handle". No cap or plug necessary.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts