TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all i just recently purchhased a 1989tw 200 after riding for about 2 days it quit and would not start long story short it was the pulsar coil after making a aftermarket coil work it will start and idle but i can only get about 1/4 throttle before it starts to spit and sputter ive cleaned the carb 2 times and installed an inline fuel filter i even pulled the seat for the float valve and cleaned behind it and cleaned the screen ive tried adjusting the air screw from all in to all out at the expense of a burnt hand to no avail i also tried 2 diffrent coils and bolth give me the same results also checked the intake boot on the carb and its not sucking air i half heartedly susspect the cdi anyone have any other ideas?

·
Registered
866 Posts
yea like a raped ape had her up to around 60 and burnt a tank of gas through her

I doubt it would be the CDI. I would be suspect of using an aftermarket coil, but if you know with 100% certainty that the coil is now functioning properly, I would just go down the list and check everything. Did it quit while you were riding it, or did it just not want to start back up after cooling off?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I doubt it would be the CDI. I would be suspect of using an aftermarket coil, but if you know with 100% certainty that the coil is now functioning properly, I would just go down the list and check everything. Did it quit while you were riding it, or did it just not want to start back up after cooling off?
well someone had jerry-rigged another pulsar coil on it with a nasty weld and had it way to close to the flywheel it busted off when i was in 2nd gear but im now doubting the cdi as a problem as i said i cleaned the carb out really really well with a strand of copper wire and canned air not just a bath but i also notice that its running really hot and getting hot very quickly and i just put in fresh oil 20w-50 im wondering now if it could be a pilot jet adjustment needed i wasn't sure when i cleaned it so i just screwed it in all the way also maybe float out of adjustment because fuel is coming out of the overflow? on the bottom of the bowl could these cause what i explained ?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh and i also went through and unwrapped the wire harnness and checked for and fixed all rubbs and connections and rewired a section of the wires from the stater where there was some cracking when i say fixed i mean auto grade waterproof heatshrinks not tape

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok i read something on here about the pilot screw having a oring and washer on the tiny end and i dont remember seeing them when i took it apart maybe im on to something ?

·
Registered
918 Posts
ok i read something on here about the pilot screw having a oring and washer on the tiny end and i dont remember seeing them when i took it apart maybe im on to something ?

If the bike idles well then I wouldn't put much time into the pilot circuit. Check www.bikebandit.com for part diagrams to confirm use of o-ring.

I'd be suspect of the replacement coil and how you "made it work". I think you need to explain that more for these guys to help you.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have the air box unhooked and the guy at my local yamishop said that that might be an issue throwing off the jetting im gonna hook it back up and give er a try and see if that helps any

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
also i used a rmstator pickup coil that was in spec from the one that i took out of the bike i measured the clearences and posistioning of the pickup and made a bracket from aluminum to align the coil where the working one was located

·
Registered
590 Posts
Did you try a new sparkplug? I had a hot running/poor acceleration issue, eventually it wouldn't even idle, thought it was the mixture but changed the plug and that magically fixed it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you try a new sparkplug? I had a hot running/poor acceleration issue, eventually it wouldn't even idle, thought it was the mixture but changed the plug and that magically fixed it.
tried the old njunk plug that was in it that i took out the day it happened and 2 new champions gapped all are getting a nice blue spark i hooked up the airbox and now i cant even get it to idle i get a quick fire and its gone as soon as it came i now also have a busted kickstart return spring to top it off arrgh i hate to think but im gonna tinker with it for a few more days and see if i cant get something to go if not im gonna have to tear her apart get the oem $100 part and look for any other problems though it has 14,000 miles on it its not a bad idea i just wanted to do it over the winter

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so long story short i took it apart today to check the timing which was off and while i was trying to fix the timing i discovered that the sprocket on the crank end of the chain must be completely worn because i need to really put alot of tension on it to make the camshaft turn with the crank which also explains the metal shavings in my oil now if only i could find the part # for the sprocket i'd be in business any body know where i can get the part im speaking of ?

·
Registered
918 Posts
You must be talking cam timing, not spark timing. Are the valve clearances way out of wack? That could indicate bent valves.

That sprocket looks to be a part of the crank half assembly, not sure you can get just the sprocket but it may be possible to be pressed off a used crank.

Purchase new: http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/1989-yamaha-trailway-tw200w/o/m7671#sch144346

Purchase used: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Crankshaft-TW200-/190283335659?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c4dc547eb#ht_500wt_956

Then you'll need to figure out what caused this issue so it doesn't repeat itself. You'll need to find where the shavings came from. Then you'll need to flush the system since the transmission, clutch, crank bearings, cam, etc. are exposed to the oil with the shavings, and hope the damage doesn't show face once back up and running. Sounds like a big gamble to me.

May consider a new motor.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
I think one of our European members (UK125?) devised a method to R&R the cam chain sprocket, but the part is not available separate from the crank.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok timing is dialed in now and the sprocket isint nearly as bad as i thought (it slipped off due to fumbly fingers) thank god i removed the flywheel and everything was ok in that side of the engine i put it all back together and put some fresh oil in it and it fired right up and idled but still wouldn't rev once the engine warmed up it just died and i couldn't get her going again also the clutch hesitates to engage when i shift into 5th gear b4 all this happened im wondering if that might be my issue with the shavings and also as i said the pulsar coil from the PO had a nasty weld on it that was hitting the flywheel which eventually led to its demise im thinking my next place to try is to remove the head and check valves and cylinder i dont really have the money to invest in a new engine so i need to fix this one

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Somebody want to translate the previous post for me? I have reading issues and can't seem to make sense of it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Translation: The entire engine needs to be drop-kicked and replaced with a fresh, untampered with version.
and i wonder if anyone knows of a good place to find one reasonably priced as there don't seem to be any moto salvage yards around here i just bought this thing for $500 and dont even have a title for it so im not looking to sink a fortune into it

1 - 20 of 29 Posts