TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
welcome to the forum!
plenty to love about the T-dub, and everyone loves to make their bike their own.

your mods look good, but i might be a bit more worried about a 22 yr old front tire... ;)

ride on!

joe band

·
Registered
20,732 Posts
I had same thought when I saw old Death Wing on front of otherwise nice looking TW.

·
Super Moderator
5,537 Posts
Whats so bad about the trail wing tires?
The stock front has earned its reputation as the “Death Wing”, thanks to its unpredictably on slippery ground. One moment, you’re fine, the next, face down wondering what the hell happened

Opinions differ of course, but the consensus is “get rid of it”

(The stock rear is fine)

www.Tw200forum.com death wing
www.Tw200forum.com front tire choices

(copy and paste for search results) ......

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting! I didn’t know that, I’ll take a look into it. Thanks ! I live in Arizona so it’s mostly desert and lot of sand dunes. Took a bit of practice but the TW200 does great in the sand! At least for me

·
Super Moderator
5,537 Posts
Most of us have gone for the Shinko 241 – but much like choosing oil, you can go down a rabbit hole trying to work it out

On sand, airing down your tires is the favourite ……

·
Registered
20,732 Posts
I apologize for repeating what is often repeated as sort of a group think here, that basically there are better tires for both specialized as well as general use than the stock front tire.
Many are happy with it, good for them. I'm really not trying to make them unhappy so I beg their tolerance.
However I periodically do offer this query every couple of years: "Has anyone ever gone back to a TrailWing after trying ANY other front tire on their TW200?"
I figured I would at least get an affirmative response for someone restoring to a 100% stock look but no, never an endorsement from someone who is pleased to have gone back to a stock Trail Wing.
I'm admittedly biased as a change a decade ago to an IRC Trials tire had me discover that I could not only corner aggressively, and also learn to use the use front brake aggressively, but could now do both simultaneously! All with out those annoying mini-crashes where the front of my TW200 abruptly washes out. More smiles, less scabs.
We do have variety of very personal opinions and preferences here , all deserving respect.
A knobby front pattern that pleases those from the land of loam I found jittery and not conducive to confidence on hard stuff like Moab's narrow slick rock fins or pavement on the borrowed one I rode for a day. IRC Trials pattern worked for me yet a Shinko 244 clone seemed not quite as good out west where I ride mostly sandy soils, dry forest organic soils or rock. Shinko 241 is sitting on garage floor awaiting its turn. The IRC/ 244 pattern did do well self cleaning in certain snow & mud conditions.

Reactions: Gullyjumper

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
great summary fred...
i'm one of those oddballs that preferred the 244 over the 241, but BOTH were vastly better choices for me.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I apologize for repeating what is often repeated as sort of a group think here, that basically there are better tires for both specialized as well as general use than the stock front tire.
Many are happy with it, good for them. I'm really not trying to make them unhappy so I beg their tolerance.
However I periodically do offer this query every couple of years: "Has anyone ever gone back to a TrailWing after trying ANY other front tire on their TW200?"
I figured I would at least get an affirmative response for someone restoring to a 100% stock look but no, never an endorsement from someone who is pleased to have gone back to a stock Trail Wing.
I'm admittedly biased as a change a decade ago to an IRC Trials tire had me discover that I could not only corner aggressively, and also learn to use the use front brake aggressively, but could now do both simultaneously! All with out those annoying mini-crashes where the front of my TW200 abruptly washes out. More smiles, less scabs.
We do have variety of very personal opinions and preferences here , all deserving respect.
A knobby front pattern that pleases those from the land of loam I found jittery and not conducive to confidence on hard stuff like Moab's narrow slick rock fins or pavement on the borrowed one I rode for a day. IRC Trials pattern worked for me yet a Shinko 244 clone seemed not quite as good out west where I ride mostly sandy soils, dry forest organic soils or rock. Shinko 241 is sitting on garage floor awaiting its turn. The IRC/ 244 pattern did do well self cleaning in certain snow & mud conditions.
Fred, you remind me of my simplest sales pitch from back when I sold tires. Ford pickups used the twin I beam front suspension. Here's the pitch.

"No matter what tire I take off a Ford truck, if it had Michelin tires on it when it came in the shop, the customer always puts Michelin back on. It makes the Ford drive almost like a Chevy."

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
646 Posts
I figured I would at least get an affirmative response for someone restoring to a 100% stock look but no, never an endorsement from someone who is pleased to have gone back to a stock Trail Wing...
Fred, I wanted whatever was being added or replaced on my bike to be quality, no cheap stuff unless it was for testing or dry fitting... I gave the trailering a fair shake, and even went back to it when I went from the 244 to the 241 for a short while (I have two front rims to make tire swapping easier... and like many others I just don't want to go back, if for nothing else just for those turns that require a little extra lean, the OEM front tire will never inspire confidence in turns like a 244/241.

·
Registered
20,732 Posts
Sorry for hijack Hector. Maybe someone will post their cafe racer look pictures.

Last tire observation: I thought the softer tread compound of the IRC GP-1 Trials tire gave me better feel for both aggressive on & off-road riding than it visual clone , the Shinko 244. However some reviewers felt it to be twitchy on pavement for their larger, heavier adventure bikes running twice the air pressure I operate on. I never experienced that twitchiness, but also haven't pushed a street oriented tire hard to see how much better a TW can canyon carve with something other than scary a TrailWing , IRC, or Shinko244 up front.
I was torn between dropping more coin once again on another IRC but instead decided to try the cheaper Shinko 241 for comparison.
My limiting factor will always likely be the ATV rear tires I roll on. My original square profile Duro could be made to dance through paved corners but seemed to demand quite a bit of focus . The rounded profile of Terracross replacement rolls into corners nicely and is so much fun in loose material...playfuly driftable while the Duro was all about serious traction.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts