TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20,499 Posts
I bought a pair of similar batteries for myself and as a gift for a friend. His still works 3 years later. Mine died within 10 days seemingly from an internal short. I had trickle charged both at 500mA overnight when they first arrived so I do not think I abused mine. Luck of the draw perhaps?
Wishing better good luck to Ebbanflood.

·
Registered
445 Posts
That’s not fair, I don’t have a kick starter (yet) so I have to buy expensive batteries that I know will work. Hope it works for you.

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
779 Posts
My Walmart version is going strong as well. Left the lights on about 30 minutes this fall (accidentally). The bike wouldn't start, but I was on a hill and bump started. Worked perfect since. From what I have read, if it works out of the box, they seem to last fairly well. I plan to add an AGM to the DR350 this spring.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I love AGM batteries but never used one in a MC. I have a few kayaks with trolling motors that require large deep cycle marine batteries for me to motor and fish all day. The standard lead acid batteries do fine but most only last a couple of years. I broke down and paid up for a VMax Tank AGM battery and it is 4 years old now and still going strong. Some say I could get 10 years out of it but since I paid a bit over $200 for it as opposed to the $100 lead acid ones I am already winning having gotten 4 trouble free years with it. A big plus with the AGM is I can lay it on it's side or even up side down with no worries and in a kayak I don't have the luxury of space.

GaryL

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah Gary, the larger AGM's get expensive in a hurry. I have the gel battery in my 1150 GS and they are usually good for 5 years. I tend to change that one at any sign of trouble since there is no kicker and it is a beast to bump start.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I changed the OEM battery on my 2007 Ural in 2016. It didn't die but I could tell it was tasking itself when using the electric starter (Ural is still a kickstart bike). I still use it as a shop battery.
I changed the battery on my 1999 Softail in 2013 just before I sold it. It was marked "installed in 2003" so 10 years of service. Again like the Ural battery it was just getting "tired". I gave this to a friend and he is still using it. They must be making these things a lot better because it was always the norm that 3-4 years was it!
Both were kept on "Battery Tender Plus" chargers. Both were Yuasa though the Harley was branded "Harley" and the Ural was branded "Polaris".
Both were/are AGM. Bought the same as replacements for about $100.00 each. I could not justify the cost of Lithium when these AGM's work so well.
As far as going with the "almost like" cheap alternative... I don't need the added excitement of getting away with battery Russian-roulette.
Plenty of other things will come up just around the bend of life. If there is a deal that seems too good to be true... it usually is.

I'd recommend this to anyone as a replacement but also to anyone that has a "wet" battery in their TW. I believe they still come stock that way?
IMG_5056.JPG

They do come somewhat charged but who knows how long they have been sitting on the shelf before you get it. They recommend charging outside the bike for 10-14 hours before installation.
IMG_5057.JPG

·
Registered
629 Posts
Assuming these batteries are not yet activated with electrolyte, I wonder what the shelf life is if you don't add electrolyte. I'm just thinking it would be good to keep a couple on-hand for when my lead/acid batteries die.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I have one of those lithium jump start gadgets you charge either in the cig lighter or from a USB port. It is not much bigger than a few packs of cigs but it does pack a serious punch when needed. I would install an accessory outlet with USB on the bike and keep the jump start box fully charged all the time. If the TW battery does die the jumper will get you going.

GaryL

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I received the $14 AGM battery, it came in 3 days. It is quite a bit smaller and lighter than the stock battery. The TW spins over plenty fast and starts right up, now we'll see how long it lasts.

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
The date on top of my batteries, it looks like the date, is 092417-LE. The instructions say if the battery is less than 3 months old no charging is necessary before use.

What numbers are other finding on top of their batteries?

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
I would always charge and check any battery that was on the shelve anywhere.

Reactions: maddawgj

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I honestly didn't look and did not charge it before installing. Will check this afternoon and let you know.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Like LT I have always believed any new battery should be fully charged prior to putting it in use. From a purely scientific view I can't say this is an absolute necessity. Once the engine is started the charging system goes to work and I would venture a guess that after a few hours the battery is fully charged. I doubt there is much difference between a stand alone battery charger and the charging system in the vehicle. Where it could become a real issue is if the new battery is severely discharged from non use and sitting on a shelf it is very bad to put it under a severe load at that time. A fully charged 12 volt battery should read somewhere between 12.9 and 13.7 volts. If it reads under 12 Volts then it absolutely needs a good hard charge. My big deep cycle marine batteries even after a full day of use always read above 12 volts when I put them on the smart charger. I believe my trolling motors have an auto shut off if the battery voltage goes much below 12 volts.

GaryL

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
I measured the voltage on both batteries and using the free Harbor Freight meter each registered 12 volts. I hooked the two batteries up in series and it measured 25 volts. Hmmm....could it be a faulty meter?

I have a HF float charger I bought ages ago. It says its output is 600mA. I think what I will do is hook the batteries in parallel and charge them that way. After Fred said he charged his and it crapped out in 2 weeks where as the other one he bought I think didn't get the charger and is still doing fine makes me a little nervous. Maybe the other battery did get the charger.....anyway, the 600mA divided by two batteries is only 300mA and a few hours of that shouldn't do any harm. Right!?!?!?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts