TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was trying out some spacer washers to go underneath the clutch springs. Then when I torqued the last clutch spring screw(bolt) in it's head broke off. I drilled and was able to spin it out but now I'm down one bolt. My question is it better to buy OEM clutch spring screw(bolt)? or can I use a stainless steel bolt and washer as a replacement? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
20,400 Posts
I would trust an aftermarket sourced quality bolt for this application; nothing superior metallurgically with the oem bolt as witnessed by it's sheared bolt head. You are fortunate the the failure was not with the aluminum boss the bolt screwed into.

·
Super Moderator
18,078 Posts
sdyer, over 5 1/2 years and this is your first post? Where've you been bro?

Welcome to the forum!! :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I purchased my TW way back then and have used this forums knowledge base to work on it since. I usually can find anything that I need by using the search box but could not readily find any information on the clutch spring screw(bolt)? Thank you for having a very helpful forum and the replies.

·
Registered
159 Posts
No probs. Just remember, if your clutch has been slipping the damage has probably been done. Your friction plates will probably disintegrate and dump rubbish into your oil. Check the steel plates for warp too.

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
I couldn't push start my TW because the clutch wouldn't lock up. I installed heavy duty springs and it made it much much better but still I wanted a little bit more, so I installed a washer on two of the bolts and now I am happy, the clutch holds very nicely.

As for slipping, aren't these clutches designed to be slipped? Maintain the engine at a steady, moderate rpm and then slip the clutch, engaging and disengaging slightly to maintain a steady pace through rough terrain?

·
Registered
20,400 Posts
It is a rare day when I slip the clutch while trail riding, for example to prevent an incipient stall in first gear. Not like my old two strokes where fanning the clutch was more common.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts