TW200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new rubber for my OEM shift lever and after receiving it I'm concerned on how well it is going to slide onto the shifter. The hole in the rubber looks small to slide over the shifter end and before I cut off my damaged rubber I thought I would ask. Any tricks or tips?

·
Super Moderator
4,705 Posts
I’m facing the same issue (once I get around to it)

Figure to warm the new rubber up a bit (leave it in the sun for a bit) – then lube it with either washing up liquid or WD40 – line it up – smack it with a lump of wood

I figure if they got the old one on there – she’ll take the new one – just needs a bit of “persuading” ……

·
Super Moderator
4,705 Posts
Thinking about it - you might want to brace the inside of the lever if you're doing this with it on the bike - or take it off first and lay against another lump of wood ..................

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m facing the same issue (once I get around to it)

Figure to warm the new rubber up a bit (leave it in the sun for a bit) – then lube it with either washing up liquid or WD40 – line it up – smack it with a lump of wood

I figure if they got the old one on there – she’ll take the new one – just needs a bit of “persuading” ……
image.jpg

I'm taking my shifter off. I figured to put it in boiling water grease it up and use the vise to press it on.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Set the new one in really hot water for a while.
Take the lever off the bike.
Warm up the lever as well after checking it for sharp scrapes, or anything that will keep the new one from sliding on.
Get yourself a non rebounding (shot filled) soft faced hammer.
On a piece of soft wood, set the rubber down with the end of the lever resting on top of it.
Wet the rubber with rubbing alcohol first.
Then with one mighty swing, bash the living crap out of the back of the lever to drive it into the rubber.
Works every time.

I do this at least three times a month. Works with foot pegs and kick starters on older bikes too.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree with Smitty...that is exactly what I would do. In my case, I removed the OEM shift lever, and installed a MSR shift lever with the folding tip.

Important to use the Isopropyl Alcohol...and NOT use any grease or WD-40. The alcohol will evaporate, and go away, whereas the grease or WD-40 will not, so the rubber will slip and rotate on you.

Heat the rubber boot up in HOT water, and it will slide on.
Well that was simple. I put the rubber and the shifter end in a pot of water and brought it up to a boil. Using my leather gloves to hold them pushed it right on. I did use the Alcohol. Thanks again
Rick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts