TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Replacing H4 headlight bulb

4K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  lozinoz 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I bought a new H4 bulb and was thinking it would be an easy swap.
But the fitting looks a little different to the original.
The original sit flush, and was held in with a spring and round metal fixture. which you then put that black rubber seal over.

The new one doesn't really sit securely into the housing... and the round metal fixture is slightly smaller than the 3 circumference bits on the new H4.

Am I missing something?
Or do I just hold in place with the black rubber seal?

I've attached some pics.

I searched the forum... but I couldn't find a 'standard' headlight replacement.

Thanks. Hand Brass Metal Finger Oil lamp
Light Hand Finger Nail
Personal protective equipment Auto part Costume Mask Gas mask
Auto part

See less See more
#2 ·
Something is amiss here. What year is your bike? I know some of the over ones used an HS1 bulb but for some reason i thought an h4 was a direct replacement, could be wrong on that.

On my 2006's there are three notches cut into the housing for those tabs to fit in. From what i can see in the picture it looks like the old bulb is not an H4 but something different. I wonder if that headlamp assembly was replaced with a non stock on or something like that. Can you read the numbers off the old bulb?

#5 ·
The 1987 is a completely different electrical system than all the other TWs. I am not sure what headlight bulb they use but you need to be sure if your bike is an 87 model before doing any electrical parts replacements. Different system with different voltages all the way around the 87 bikes.

GaryL

#7 ·
It appears as though the metal bracket around the original bulb needs to be taken off the old bulb and placed onto the new bulb. That collar should hold the bulb steady and twist-lock into place on the reflector hole.
Joint Lock

Reactions: Smitty Blackstone
#8 ·
It appears as though the metal bracket around the original bulb needs to be taken off the old bulb and placed onto the new bulb. That collar should hold the bulb steady and twist-lock into place on the reflector hole.
View attachment 29152
I did try removing the bulb from that round part... but no avail.Yes those hooks fit perfect for the tabs...
currently the H4 sits loose without thaat round piece... and the slotted piece is slightly small for the 3 bits around the circumference of the H4....

I thought others would have come across this! :) or does everyone do upgrades to LED?

#11 ·
Trying to post pics of a light I have here if they go and help. It is an H4 bulb.

Auto part Wheel
Auto part Wheel Rotor
Auto part Automotive lighting

GaryL

#13 ·
Yup! I am trying to show what the US version looks like and determine if the Euro bikes are all different. My Pictures are from a 2001-2016 US TW.

GaryL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.