TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped by Cycle Gear when I was in town today and for the first time had hands on with Protaper SE highs. I liked the ergonomics and was curious what you guys rave about so I bought them. I have never replaced bars before.

Is the process as simple as unbolting components and moving them to the new bar? Are there any safety considerations that I should be aware of? Any different cable routing needed? I don't want to screw anything up.

My TW is at the dealership for carb servicing, and I called to ask what they would charge to install the bars for me while it's there and they want $88....I figure I can do it myself instead with yall's help! Any advice would be appreciated! Jason

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
I stopped by Cycle Gear when I was in town today and for the first time had hands on with Protaper SE highs. I liked the ergonomics and was curious what you guys rave about so I bought them. I have never replaced bars before.

Is the process as simple as unbolting components and moving them to the new bar? Are there any safety considerations that I should be aware of? Any different cable routing needed? I don't want to screw anything up.

My TW is at the dealership for carb servicing, and I called to ask what they would charge to install the bars for me while it's there and they want $88....I figure I can do it myself instead with yall's help! Any advice would be appreciated! Jason
It is exactly as easy as unbolting everything and then bolting it back on to the new bars. You will need a new set of grips, a razor knife, a can of hairspray and whatever tools are required for the removal of the old bars. 25 minutes max plus 12 hours for the grips to dry and set.

Tom

·
Registered
5,868 Posts
Installing the new bars should be pretty straightforward. There should be sufficient length with the stock cables and brake line, however you may need to remove a few cable ties to ensure that you have enough slack when the bars are rotated to full lock left and right.

The stock throttle assembly has a small protrusion that fits into a hole in the stock handlebar. The Protapers do not have this hole. Most guys do what I did, and just file, or grind this nub off. This does not cause any problems and can help things by allowing the throttle assembly to be more freely positioned as needed on the bars.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I usually slip the controls and switches, onto the bars, before putting the bars in the clamps and tightening them at all. Also the small nub does a job. But they are more of a problem than a help to me. Because they limit the position of the controls and hold them hard in place when you fall which makes it more likely you break you levers. I always get rid of them, stock or new bars. Just take your time and watch the cable routing. There should be no issues with only higher bars.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
I bought a pair of McFly handlebar from Cycle Gear for $20. I like them because they are higher and narrower than the stock bars. Narrower is better because it is easier to get through tight places using them.
I most likely have the same pair. The downside is they do not accommodate handguards well at all. They are nice when your trailblazing though.

Tom

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
I bought the ProTaper Mid bars. The are exactly a 1 3/4 inch increase in height to the stock bars. I had to cut off the bars to the first mark to allow Bark Busters to fit properly. Easy with a Sawzall and a file to square up the cut. I use a air compressor with a Air gun to blow off and on the Grips.

IMG_7908.JPG

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the useful info guys. I don't have an air compressor so I guess I'll just have my girlfriend blow them off and on.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Thanks for the useful info guys. I don't have an air compressor so I guess I'll just have my girlfriend blow them off and on.
Just realize that if you ever marry her you will have to make grips last a LOT longer between changes........

Tom:laughing6:

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
The downside is they do not accommodate handguards well at all. They are nice when your trailblazing though.

Tom
That's the truth! Hand guards can be made to work but it is a tight fit.

I really like them in tight places. An inch or two on each side makes a big difference. Tony

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got them mounted, took about 30 minutes. The new bars are not life changing, but the positioning is nice. I can stand now and do not have to hunch over as much. Honestly, the thing that I like the most about them is that I am no longer looking at my elbows when I look in the mirrors! I can actually see cars coming up behind me. That alone made them worth my money.

·
Registered
562 Posts
There are a million methods of installing new grips
Take your time and get them stuck right. Grip glue and safety wire are good ideas.
Very important. After installing your bars and controls, twist the bars left and right with the engine running. You don't want any cables pinched or your idle to raise from the throttle cable being pulled.
The caps that you tighten on to the bars typically have a punch mark that goes to the front. I imagine a TW has them too.
If you struggle getting the stock throttle grip off the plastic tube you aren't alone. Most are nearly welded on from the factory

1 - 17 of 17 Posts