TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to ride as often as possible for the last month. Rain has blocked me way more than usual.
However, I did install a new Shorai battery when my riding season started and the bike is an easy start at temperatures around +1 C. The battery spins the engine quickly and yesterday after sitting for ten days in the rain the starter motor had the engine running as quickly as I could get my thumb off the starter button.
I am sold on Shorai lithium batteries.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Great! I like reading reviews of tried and true products. I'm going to make me a dummy note to order one when I'm ready....

·
Registered
638 Posts

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, I believe the Battery Tender brand has built in over and under voltage regulation. Might be a good idea to research this option.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
how does that battery fit for size...generally Li-on batts are smaller
The battery tender i bought came with foam spacers also. The stock battery I took out weighed 6.6 pounds the BT battery weighed 1.1 pounds.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I have a Shorai in my TW and my Ducati. They really do work great but my only gripe is on cold mornings i have had to let the battery "warm up" a little(let the bike sit w power on) before it will crank the motor over. This is more of an issue on the Ducati than the TW.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Put your high beams and flashers on when you need to warm the battery up in cold weather, works a little faster.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Ah, that will do it. Fuel pump runs constantly? My sporty only runs for about 5 sec, turns off after a certain pressure is reached.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I've had a shorai in my TW since Feb of 2012. Never a hitch with it, even when it sits for months. Don't have your cold temps issue though. I don't even use a tender / charger on it.

So all in all, totally worth every cent! Way less weight, no battery acid, no corrosion, no acid spillage, no electrolyte levels to check, it just works.

If it went dead today, I'd order a new one without a second thought. m.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
I've had nothing but fantastic results with Shorai in the past and I picked up a pair of TW's where the owner had installed the small Battery Tender and it is also fantastic! The thing feels as light as a ping pong ball and isn't much bigger but it cranks the TW like a diesel truck battery! If you turned them sideways you could install 2 or maybe even 3 in parallel with room for extra tools etc (ok I measured and you can't fit 2 or 3 I got too excited lol the small battery Tender is 2"w x 4"L)

Since the smaller Lithium Iron batteries are much smaller (and lighter) than the stock TW battery I've been thinking of a Lithium battery that fills up the entire stock battery compartment as I bet it would still be lighter than the lead acid and would give some field power for electronics etc not to mention it would start the bike for 2 or 3 years even if the charging system failed

The larger battery Tender Batteries are a bit to long and tall to fit the stock tray w/o mods but Shorai may have one that will fit

Stock TW battery dims are

Height (w/terminal): 4.49"
Length: 5.12"
Width: 3.54"
Weight: 5.95 Lbs (w/acid)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts