TW200 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious about how long that monster rear tire lasts on the TW. Also, a tire that big-is it a bear to replace using hand tools on the floor fo your garage? And, is there just one tire that fits? Or is there another chioce? We're moving from the mainland to the Big Island of Hawaii in a while, and I am commited to owning another dual sport for riding there both off road and as general transportation. Ease of maintenance is a high priority, and I owned an XT225 for a few years and did the valve adjustments etc myself.Good gas mileage is a high priority also.My XT never got under 75 mpg, and often got in the 80s and even 90s.

I see Clarke now makes a bigger tank for the TW.

Thanks, Jon

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
I am curious about how long that monster rear tire lasts on the TW. Also, a tire that big-is it a bear to replace using hand tools on the floor fo your garage? And, is there just one tire that fits? Or is there another chioce? We're moving from the mainland to the Big Island of Hawaii in a while, and I am commited to owning another dual sport for riding there both off road and as general transportation. Ease of maintenance is a high priority, and I owned an XT225 for a few years and did the valve adjustments etc myself.Good gas mileage is a high priority also.My XT never got under 75 mpg, and often got in the 80s and even 90s.

I see Clarke now makes a bigger tank for the TW.

Thanks, Jon

I don't know much about riding conditions in Hawaii, but if you were happy with your XT you should be equally happy with a TW. Tw's are just more interesting

They're essentially peas in a pod from a mechanical and maintenence standpoint, fuel mileage is similar.

The rear tire is definitely more challenging to change on a TW, but right from the outset it will expand your vocabulary, thus making YOU more interesting.. For the rear, off-the-rack tire options here in The States are but two, a knobby and a more street-oriented tire. Some of us run ATV tires, but running those presents some issues, including legality. Up front a lot of us run tires intended for the rear of dualsports. Dozens of possibilities.

Phelonious lives over there and is a frequent poster here. Seems happy with his.

·
Super Moderator
652 Posts
The rear tire is not difficult to pull off and on, unless you go with an ATV tire. The sidewall on the stock rear tire is flexible enough that it come off quite nicely with a couple of tire irons.

·
Registered
572 Posts
One of the members here has a TW and lives on Hawaii, Phelonius is his name you might try asking him how he likes the TW on Hawaii.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts