TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
I can slosh almost 2L extra from my right side to my left side. Without doing that, I get almost 100km with reserve with my XT225 tank on my TW. I'm tempted to drill a hole and put another petcock on that side but can't be bothered. I mounted my tank so it was a little higher in the front so the fuel runs to the petcock, and then leaning the bike onto the ground makes it slosh over the frame hump.

If you didn't get any reserve when you switched, maybe your petcock is plugged? If you used the stock petcock you should get the stock amount of reserve.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I can slosh almost 2L extra from my right side to my left side. Without doing that, I get almost 100km with reserve with my XT225 tank on my TW. I'm tempted to drill a hole and put another petcock on that side but can't be bothered. I mounted my tank so it was a little higher in the front so the fuel runs to the petcock, and then leaning the bike onto the ground makes it slosh over the frame hump.

If you didn't get any reserve when you switched, maybe your petcock is plugged? If you used the stock petcock you should get the stock amount of reserve.
Hi Chris, I did get a decent amount of reserve when I switched, but then that ran out and I could still see a little gas in both of the tanks side panels. When I turned the bike on the side, most of the fuel ran to the left side as expected, but . . . still couldn't start it. I recall someone mentioning a pickup tube to capture that last bit of fuel here on the forum, but can't find it. Or maybe I'm dreaming . . . Thanks man! P

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hi Chris, I did get a decent amount of reserve when I switched, but then that ran out and I could still see a little gas in both of the tanks side panels. When I turned the bike on the side, most of the fuel ran to the left side as expected, but . . . still couldn't start it. I recall someone mentioning a pickup tube to capture that last bit of fuel here on the forum, but can't find it. Or maybe I'm dreaming . . . Thanks man! P
I ran dead dry yesterday and saw the same thing you saw, a little bit of gas. Once I got home I measured just how much, it was like 1/3 cup. So it did drain pretty good! Not even enough left to get me anywhere useful if I'd had use of it. Time to start carrying the camp stove bottle full of gasoline.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I ran dead dry yesterday and saw the same thing you saw, a little bit of gas. Once I got home I measured just how much, it was like 1/3 cup. So it did drain pretty good! Not even enough left to get me anywhere useful if I'd had use of it. Time to start carrying the camp stove bottle full of gasoline.
I actually fitted a 2-gallon Rotopax on the back. I only got 127 miles to dead empty with the Clarke, but that was with all city riding of <6 miles. I ride my TW almost every day. It gets much better mileage when I take it for longer trips. I guess I had the same teensy amount you had and just have to accept that mileage will be alot less when I use the bike for such short trips over a time period.

Thanks so much Chris for doing your test! P

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I have the Clarke Racing Tank and could not get reserve to function. The tube was clogged and my gas was orange. I drained and cleaned the entire fuel delivery system. No need to get rid of the bike. Starts like new. Gets to 70 m.p.h.and sits there just fine. (No elevation, small breeze behind me, no windshield. Stock gearing.) The opaque tank came with a free gas gauge. The level gets low enough and now that I know the height of the tube I am even smarter.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have the Clarke Racing Tank and could not get reserve to function. The tube was clogged and my gas was orange. I drained and cleaned the entire fuel delivery system. No need to get rid of the bike. Starts like new. Gets to 70 m.p.h.and sits there just fine. (No elevation, small breeze behind me, no windshield. Stock gearing.) The opaque tank came with a free gas gauge. The level gets low enough and now that I know the height of the tube I am even smarter.
70 actual or 70 indicated? My speedometer is about 7% optimistic, GPS speed (in a straight line for best accuracy) I max out at 66.5mph. I think that's falling off the far side of the horsepower curve at that rpm, it's like hitting a wall. Doesn't go faster even with a slight hill.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
This is a straight line with my phone GPS tracking my speed which suprisingly enough tracks with my speedometer. Flat road. About 60 degrees out. There is a wind is at my back. No shield. Head is down as in my mind I am at the salt flats with a land speed record riding on it. I pass cars and I would be honored to show you guys the ticket if radar gets me. This is like when I walk like the mummy and then explain that this guy actually caught people.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts