TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Cool. Can we get a pic of with the box off? I'd like to see what it would look like if you left the box at home.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Nice! The mount makes a great cargo rack on its own.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The action packer was fine, but you can't put a helmet in it, with this case you can, I dig it!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Looks nice. Nice features too- lockable, carry handle, quick release. My Action Packer holds my open face helmet but only on its side. My quick release system is 6 wings nuts. Not too quick. But hey, does the EMGO hold two bags of groceries? My Action Packer will hold that or a 5 gallon gas can if I leave the top off. Talk about the "tail wagging the dog" tho. My only problem with these trunks is my recent right knee surgery. It makes swinging the leg over the seat a little more painful.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Yes I did, but I bought longer ones. It was pretty stable, just less covenient.

Thanks, Chip. I've often wondered if I could get away with an action packer on top of the stock fender. I'm going to try to make a pseudo quick release of some sort. I ride mostly for fun, but I also use the bike for little errands here and there. I'm thinking the action packer will allow me to leave the truck at home a little more often, like when I need to carry more than I can stuff in my jacket.

By the way, that EMGO is super nice. It looks like it would be perfect for touring.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh ya, the action packer worked great, but as I said, I wanted something I could take off easily. If you figure that quick release out with an action packer, you'll be set!

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
You sold me on it. I ordered one today. I'll take a pic when I get it mounted to my cyclerack.

Update:

I had to shim the whole shebang up about one inch and cut 1/4 inch off the lower latch to get it to clear the hump on my cyclerack

My shims are UHMW plastic. It's very tough and has not scratched anything yet.

Overall capacity is a little less then the action packer (I could fit a kolpin fuel pack in the packer) The travel trunk is a tiny bit taller then the packer.

It is much more water resistant then the packer. Do a drop in it after two hours riding home in the rain.

Mounting Pics

·
Registered
150 Posts
Oh ya, the action packer worked great, but as I said, I wanted something I could take off easily. If you figure that quick release out with an action packer, you'll be set!

I noticed that you bolted it directly to the fended, I also see where the EMGO travel trunk weighs close to 8lbs, and Yamaha advises not to put more than 10Lbs on the fender mount. Have you had any problems, how much weight have you carried?

Thanks

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
I use the action packer too, but mainly because my 30lb dog sit's in it with the top off, I drilled 4 holes and tie it to my rack with good rope, easy to remove and solid and secure.
Nice trunk. Typical EMGO--basic functionality and durability at a good price. Many people think EMGO makes cheap products that lack features, but in reality EMGO makes inexpensive products that work. This trunk has all the features one actually needs. Too bad EMGO doesn't make panniers to match. EMGO could retail a full set for less than the price of one piece of most other brands.

Rastaman, I have an Action Packer bolted to the stock pad mounting holes, with flat aluminum strips above and below the bottom of the box to distribute loads. It's been there for thousands of miles. When I pile stuff on top, I use longer bungies that go to the fender and frame so they actually added to the box attachement rathyer than stress the bolt holes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts