TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning T Dubbers

Today I start with my final count down of my career, 21 days to go. Im exited and cant wait to get back home (working abroad in Madagascar). I have a 1000 things that I would like to do of which 999 includes my T Dub. Fishing, trails, kayaking, mountain passes in Lesotho to go and conker ( I hope). With lots of time on my hands I have designed a little side car outfit that my kayak can fit on with some rod holders ect ect and would like to start fabricating early January when the silly season is done. Yep I sometimes get nervous thinking what it is going to be like not having to get up and go to work and will I get all these bright ideas and mini projects of the ground ? I guess only time will tell. Any good advise from you old FARTS that has the Tshirt and lost the cap will be appreciated ;)
Keep the shiny side up :p

·
Registered
795 Posts
best advice ive heard..."make sure you have something in your life that forces you to put on pants and comb your hair." once you dont have that its game over. retirement is really hard for lots of folks. filling an extra 40 hours a week is not an easy thing to do. please dont let yourself piss those hours away in front of the tv or facebook. youve worked your whole life for this moment. make it amazing and be sure to take care of your health. A body that outlives the brain is no better than a brain that outlives the body. Best of luck and god bless.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Congratulations! On December 15 this year I will be retired for 20 years. The simple advice I have is to keep your plans and projects on track. That means you get up each morning and dress after coffee. Then you take on one project at a time until completion if at all possible. My first year or two I got bogged down with 6 half finished projects all over the place and never getting many of them done until I refocused. Make a plan and just do it and forget the crap about sitting in front of a stupid box watching Jerry Springer or some other dumb shit like the Fake News. Here in the states I have the news on constantly but not the TV. I use XM radio with speakers throughout the house and shop so I can listen if I care to but am not distracted watching.
If you are married with a husband or wife still working then take on some of your spouse's normal duties. I ride her broom and vacuum a few times a week and wash all the dinner dishes and I do windows along with keeping both vehicles maintained and clean. She sure does appreciate the help and loves that I am not just vegging out every day. I fish, hunt, hike, ride, kayak and even just go for a car ride when I have nothing to do. Get a puppy, the type that is ready to go and do the things you love doing. It gives you a purpose and a reason to do things and a companion by your side when you are alone without another human companion. Most of all just enjoy the fruits of your labor and you will very quickly wonder how the hell you ever got all your chores and projects done when you were still working. I have at least 10 hours every day extra since I retired and still not enough hours in a day.

GaryL

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
I've never had so much fun in my life since I retired.....no more schedules! Except the ones I make myself: 10:00 Go fishing 2:00 Ride bike exploring all afternoon 6:00 Have a beer.....etc.
I do spend way too much time at the computer checking in on silly forums like this one, but I have an excuse: I call it research. :p

·
Registered
48 Posts
Don't forget to spoil yourself......try a one o'clock nap. Otherwise stay busy. I don't know how I got all my chores done when I was working full time. Retirement is wonderful.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
If you find yourself lazing about too much or bored too easy get yourself a puppy or young dog. Hard to get too lazy or sleep too late with a young dog around.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I quit working for other people years ago, not retired. One thing I realized is all the things I missed going to work. Don't know how I had time for a job in the first place. So many things to do and only so much time. Tic toc

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
I am loving retirement. Being able to do and go as one pleases is wonderful. I have an issue with my hands that makes me stay inside way too much. Raynauuds keeps me from working in the shop or outside. As soon as tax time is finished I am out of here and hope to catch some fellow TW folks in the desert down south.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I retired about 6 1/2 years before my wife did. A lot of times I took over home chores for her. For instance, I would make sure there was laundry detergent and dish soap available when she needed it. And I would always make sure the lawn mower and weed wacker were full of gas when she got home, or, she could wait till the weekend if she chose. Not to mention I kept the filter clean in the vacuum for her and I would even press the button that retracted the cord when she was done. And when it came to evening meals I would even go so far as to sometimes call her before she got home with a list of stuff she needed from the store so she wouldn't have to go back. That way she would be able to have supper ready on time just the way she liked, for us. It truly was the little things that counted and meant so much to me, for her. But, once she finally retired, I was able put her back to work and things got back to normal. Now that winter is here, she reminded me I am going to have to take time out to give her a refresher course on mixing the chainsaw gas. I think she knows it's the same as the weed wacker, but this way we get to spend more quality time together and that is OK by me.

I know, I know, Mr. Domestication.

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
I retired about 6 1/2 years before my wife did. A lot of times I took over home chores for her. For instance, I would make sure there was laundry detergent and dish soap available when she needed it. And I would always make sure the lawn mower and weed wacker were full of gas when she got home, or, she could wait till the weekend if she chose. Not to mention I kept the filter clean in the vacuum for her and I would even press the button that retracted the cord when she was done. And when it came to evening meals I would even go so far as to sometimes call her before she got home with a list of stuff she needed from the store so she wouldn't have to go back. That way she would be able to have supper ready on time just the way she liked, for us. It truly was the little things that counted and meant so much to me, for her. But, once she finally retired, I was able put her back to work and things got back to normal. Now that winter is here, she reminded me I am going to have to take time out to give her a refresher course on mixing the chainsaw gas. I think she knows it's the same as the weed wacker, but this way we get to spend more quality time together and that is OK by me.

DUDE!!!! :eek:

You'd be in a world of **** if she read that over your shoulder!!! :p

·
Registered
290 Posts

Ahh come on LT, give me some credit here, man. I know better than to type something like that before her bedtime.

My wife didn't raise no fool! :D

·
Registered
8,245 Posts

My wife would laugh her ass off reading it because she knows just how full of shit he and I are. Truth be told here I love it when she gets home from work but not quite sure if I love when she leaves for work more.:p I might be in for a rude awakening when she finally does retire and I have to change my ways all over again. I get right around 9 hours of peace and quiet each day now while she is at work plus about seven while we sleep. It is those remaining 8 hours when we are both here and awake when I have to be on my best behavior and often out in my shop or working on some project I saved that time for. Learning just how to navigate around all this together time is an art in and of itself. It is a very rare day when she has a good day at work so steering clear for the first couple hours is beneficial to us both.

GaryL

·
Registered
290 Posts
Well said again, Gary! My steering clear time now is in the morning. Her job before she retired had her getting up at 4:30 am. Therefore she likes to sleep late (for her anyway) which means waking up on her own at quite varied times.

I try to keep the house as quiet for her as possible till hibernation's end and usually have the coffee button ready to push. That, and or, oftentimes I will just be gone before "The Awakening" which is fine as she likes her quiet time well as I do.

·
Registered
13,239 Posts

For some unknown to me as of yet reason, Mrs. Admiral didn’t find this as humorous as I did. Laughing while reading it probably wasn’t helpful.

Thinking of checking the chainsaw mix today! :)

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
For some unknown to me as of yet reason, Mrs. Admiral didn’t find this as humorous as I did. Laughing while reading it probably wasn’t helpful.

Thinking of checking the chainsaw mix today! :)
Give the Mrs. time and allow her to read it herself. I am pretty sure Lori will get the "Tongue In Cheek" drift of his comments. I do actually have a neighbor up the road a piece who is exactly as Scooter describes. He stands about 4' 9" and is just as wide. I see him waddle out to the mailbox once in a while but mostly I see his wife get home from work and then hear the mower and weed eater fire up with her on the controls. I will take a guess he tips the scales at close to 400 and there is not much of anything he can do. He asked for a ride one time a while back and I reluctantly agreed. Didn't happen because he was not able to climb up into my 4Runner so I ran to the store and got the beer he was going for for him.

GaryL

1 - 20 of 35 Posts