TW200 Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
For some unknown to me as of yet reason, Mrs. Admiral didn’t find this as humorous as I did. Laughing while reading it probably wasn’t helpful.

Thinking of checking the chainsaw mix today! :)
Well what did you expect, Kris! Of course she doesn't see the humor in it. She aint overed the aluminum walker you got her for her birthday yet.

She was wanting one in stainless. Geez man, you better wake up before she retires!

Marty
PS Some guys just have no clue!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Congrats and I hope you have a long, fun and healthy retirement. I've been retired from the FD for 10 years now. A good retirement is one with, enough money to "comfortably" live, (comfort means a lot of different things to different people), enjoying EVERY DAY as it comes, (no schedules) good to GREAT health, and hopefully, a great companion to spend retirement with. Everything else is a bonus. I myself, watch the news in the morning every now and then and am so INCREDIBLY THANKFULL that I'm not in that CESS POOL OF TRAFFIC that is seen on almost every freeway, in every major town, in America. Our home is landscaped with decorative rock, ultra low maintenance plants and tile. So, little to no maintenance is required. I do have a few small pigmy palms that need attention about once every 6 months.

Anyway, you make retirement what you want. I know people that cannot sit still. They MUST be either volunteering for something, working at some sort of small job or have some sort of "schedule" or, they go nuts in retirement. Me, I wake up, eat breakfast and, decide what I want to do and, if needed, where I want to go. Enjoy life. Don't make it complicated with schedules. Yeah, sometimes you have to be someplace at a given time for various reasons. It happens. In any case, to all who've retired, and all who are gonna retire either soon or, sometime down the line, enjoy what you have. You're only gonna live once, unlike James Bond.
Scott

·
Registered
55 Posts
Unfortunately for me, my retirement wasnt planned. Working a normal day, boss asks to see me and Im home that night never to return to my work again. That was hard, but now a few years later Im so happy to be so free! Im not going to feel guilty if i sleep longer one day, or miss a task i planned to do on another. I really enjoy working on dirt bikes, and the TW is my current project. I dont need to spend much money, its fun and satisfying.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Unfortunately for me, my retirement wasnt planned. Working a normal day, boss asks to see me and Im home that night never to return to my work again. That was hard, but now a few years later Im so happy to be so free! Im not going to feel guilty if i sleep longer one day, or miss a task i planned to do on another. I really enjoy working on dirt bikes, and the TW is my current project. I dont need to spend much money, its fun and satisfying.
Well, sorry to hear about the way you retired, hope it wasn't with ill manor or feelings. Glad you're making the best of it and tinkering with the T-dub. I know EXACTLY what you're saying about "...sleeping in or missing a task..." I do that on a daily basis. There's times I put off even simply tasks or projects for extended periods, just because I can. But, they get done, for sure. Right now, it's 10:09 in the morning, the wife and I are watching "Iron Resurrection" and I'm answering your post. Sure can't do that with a WORK SCHEDULE!
Scott

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
This is my 3rd year into retirement. I retired earlier than We had planned (and a few people on the forum know why), but after I looked hard at our financial situation and talked with our finical advisor, Linda gave me the go ahead. The only downside to my retirement has been that Linda kept working. There is a 99.9% chance she will retire in July of 2020; that was our original retirement date.
Retirement has allowed me to go on many adventurers and I look forward to any chance I get to ride. I love not having a schedule, thou it did take Linda a bit to get use to the fact I do not like to be scheduled. She fears being bored when she retires as she is constantly on the go. I normally get up when she gets up, but I would prefer to sleep in this time of year. In the spring and summer, I am up at dawn.
I have taken over many of the chores around the house, but some times they do get put on hold. A neighbour (he retired early) of mine advised me not to make home improvements and the Honey Do List your new career. Hopefully you have hobbies that will fill some of your time. I needed to learn how to relax. Now I get up and have a coffee. After Linda heads to work, I go work out on my total gym or go for a walk or a bicycle ride to keep in shape. When the weather is good, everything gets put on hold and I head out for a ride on one of my motorcycles.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi Scott, I like your lifestyle! Oh one thing I sure dont get bored! Im happy not doing much at all too! One challenge i have is trying to find bike parts at reasonable prices. Well my reasonable is prob less than most!

·
Registered
287 Posts
This is my 3rd year into retirement. I retired earlier than We had planned (and a few people on the forum know why), but after I looked hard at our financial situation and talked with our finical advisor, Linda gave me the go ahead. The only downside to my retirement has been that Linda kept working. There is a 99.9% chance she will retire in July of 2020; that was our original retirement date.
Retirement has allowed me to go on many adventurers and I look forward to any chance I get to ride. I love not having a schedule, thou it did take Linda a bit to get use to the fact I do not like to be scheduled. She fears being bored when she retires as she is constantly on the go. I normally get up when she gets up, but I would prefer to sleep in this time of year. In the spring and summer, I am up at dawn.
I have taken over many of the chores around the house, but some times they do get put on hold. A neighbour (he retired early) of mine advised me not to make home improvements and the Honey Do List your new career. Hopefully you have hobbies that will fill some of your time. I needed to learn how to relax. Now I get up and have a coffee. After Linda heads to work, I go work out on my total gym or go for a walk or a bicycle ride to keep in shape. When the weather is good, everything gets put on hold and I head out for a ride on one of my motorcycles.
That is a concern for many individuals prior to retirement. Especially ones that maybe have a career that is always *pressing* them to keep moving/thinking/adjusting/speaking/advancing etc. Each individual that has or is, leading an eventful or pressing career, or, maybe even one that's not so demanding, must learn how to SHUT DOWN that side of life and begin or at the very least, EASE into a less stressful, more relaxed, and PLEASUREABLE life. What many don't comprehend is, there's only a few ZILLION hobbies and activities that can take up, every hour of every day, for the rest of your life, if one would simply look around. For instance, in our little town, there's a club of old *retired* dudes that meet every week at an RC off road track. They get their little cars ready and place them all on the starting line. The starting gun is fired and, THEY'RE OFF AND RUNNING!

But, guess what, almost NONE of them make it around the first corner of the oval track their on. There's usually some form of a multi-car pile up on the first turn. All of them are laughing so hard, as they stumble out to re-position their little cars/trucks. They do that for a good hour or so. Then, it's off to coffee. This is just one of as stated, a zillion ways for people to keep some form of activeness. Many wives of these old dudes are down at the aquatic center in a water class of aerobics. After that, it's off to a quilt making class or, any number of potential activities. Many guys here in Lake Havasu have some form of a hot rod they tinker with on an almost daily routine. Some are into HAM radio stuff and can talk to MARS if they want.
There's also tons and tons of motorcycle and side-by-side activities and clubs around. The list is endless of things to do, see, play with, work on (if you want to call it work), learn about, get involved with, relax on a boat in the lake, DO SOME FISHING, go out of town, (which takes about 5-10 minutes, depending on where you live) and go shooting, etc. etc. etc. etc. My point is, you CAN be busy as you want or, partially busy or, NOT BUSY AT ALL.

I was Air Force for a while. Schedules, nothing but schedules and drills. Then, a career in the Fire Department. Again, schedules, drills, more drills and in between all that, EMERGENCIES! Approximately 35-36 years and 3 different fire departments. When it came time to retire, I walked out of the station for the last time and, NEVER LOOKED BACK. I live MY life now, not theirs. Every hour, of every day, I DECIDE, what to do, who to see, where to go and or, just relax with the wife and DO NOTHING. Many believe that if one is not active in the *Golden" years, you'll just shrivel up and die, HORSE SHI....
Aint happening! While the wife and I might not be in the best of shape, due to the fact that we don't spend every waking hour in a gym or, exercising in some form, we're doing pretty good for our age, me at 67 and her at close to 60. My point is, enjoy what interests you. If working out all day long is your desire, who are any of us to say no? Life is definitely short, spend it as you see fit. I just wish I had the opportunity to ride where Fred and Admiral do on a more frequent basis. I love those mountain trails, especially in the Sierras.
Scott
Scott

·
Registered
222 Posts
Some fear they will miss the activity of work. I think of it more as not missing the circus, just a few of the clowns.

·
Registered
815 Posts
A lot of people tell me that I'll "get bored with all that spare time" on my hands...I just laugh.

As long as there are mountains to hike, trails to ride and lakes to fish...I won't be bored. I just hope I can afford retirement.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Thanks Guys, I got the best advise ever. Thank you and for sure I am looking forward to re fuel the mower for the old girl:D . Having been in the oil and gas and construction industry for most of my life I can assure you that I wont miss any meetings !! And if I never hear the word SAFETY again it will be to soon. Dont take me wrong, im serious about safety but lately I cant believe with what crap and paperwork they come to light with.

Yep I will wear my helmet and boots and promise to wear a life jacket on the boat but doing another risk assessment WONT happen :p

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks Guys, I got the best advise ever. Thank you and for sure I am looking forward to re fuel the mower for the old girl:D . Having been in the oil and gas and construction industry for most of my life I can assure you that I wont miss any meetings !! And if I never hear the word SAFETY again it will be to soon. Dont take me wrong, im serious about safety but lately I cant believe with what crap and paperwork they come to light with.

Yep I will wear my helmet and boots and promise to wear a life jacket on the boat but doing another risk assessment WONT happen :p
What!!! No safety risk assessment before starting the TW? Flabbergasted

·
Registered
290 Posts

That is funny how we differ, Nichea. One of my main goals is to miss ALL the meetings!:D

Seriously though, I know what you mean. The only thing I hated more than the annual update classes, Safety, Hand Washing, Deescalation Handling, Fire Drills, etc., etc., etc., and my most favorite of all, Diversity Training, was damn meetings. My gut would wrench during last hour leading up to one. Same type administrative individuals speaking every time with all kinds of BRIGHT ideas but it was never their job to see that the work got done. It was funny to me how every bright, new and fresh idea got all the backing from the other administrative types and would soon prove to not pan out and fade as forgotten BULLSHIT.

For the most part, the working class got along most of the time. This same caliber of what I called Ad-menstruative types are the ones that would shove the Diversity Training down line when most of the bickering, backstabbing, jealousy and hypocritical two faced problems were up line. But, they were in the unique club and loved one another. At least on paper anyhow. The Monthly Newsletter was always a joy to read.

I think it was Dorothy that said, after clicking heals together three times,
"There's no place like retirement!"

Just think, as of this reading, only 18 countdown days to go Nichea. Mark the calendar days with a Fat Point Permanent Marker!

Marty

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
One thing I just read here that should be expounded upon, Can you afford to retire comfortably? We all know our own lifestyles while we are working and earning a paycheck but keep in mind once you retire the paychecks usually stop unless you worked a job with a pension or saved along the way for this time. My retirement was an immediate 50% reduction in pay but between my pension and SS and a few small investments along the way I have missed nothing. My wife still works and is now bringing home the bacon and plenty of it but that could end today given there is absolutely zero job security in the private sector job she works at and no pension at all. We live rather frugal and are not big spenders by any stretch so we do fine with or without her income.
If your plan includes expensive travel or hobbies then be sure you have your finances in order. Prepare for the worst case scenario just in case one of you get sick and need expensive medical care. Understand your health insurance situation before you jump ship and retire. That was my biggest concern when I put in my papers but it was also the exact reason I worked my dreadful job all those years. Having a million dollars in the bank might seem like a lot but the doctors and lawyers will be more than happy to relieve you of as much as they can take. Right this very minute I have a major concern with the politics of the day. Any major change in the health insurance promise I have from my career job will throw us into a tailspin and out of the 20+ democrats running to replace DJT every single one of them are hell bent on destroying what I worked my entire life to secure. In a state such as California you might be depending upon a nice fat pension every month but who knows for sure if that will be there a few years from today? Many of the states are in financial distress and the first place they look when the chips are down are at pensioners. Any real accountant will tell you if you win a big fat lottery to take the lump sum payment and take it now before the state goes belly up.
I don't miss the daily meeting and I sure don't miss the idiots up in Albany who never worked a day inside a NY Prison but are charged with making the rules, rules that simply can't work or be enforced in the real world. Have all your ducks in order and a plan B if things substantially change. Every one of us who has a nest egg is a giant target for the creeps among us and I just got notified last week that some jackwagon was using my credit card in a state I have never been in. The card is safe in my pocket yet the number and name on it is not. All is fine and completely covered but the wolves are out there and always hunting.

GaryL

21 - 35 of 35 Posts