TW200 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had the Maxxis Bighorn ATV tire on the rear and Kenda K779 on the front for several years while I tried to keep up with my growing son on his dirt bike. Now that he's off on his own, I decided to return to the stock rear TW34 and Maxxis 6006 (much like the Shinko Golden Boy) on the front. I had a stock 50t sprocket originally and switched to a 55t with the Bighorn. Returning to the stock rear tire I chose to go with a 47t (front is 14t – no changes here) . I didn’t want to try to get this Bighorn off, so I waited until a rim came up on ebay and put my TW34 on the ebay rim so I can go back to the Bighorn quite easily (55t sprocket is still mounted on that rim). Switching back would be easy as I will just add a couple of links in the chain with a second master link (two master links on a 428 chain does not concern me).

Ok so the reason for switching back is more forestry roads and some blacktop vs less single track mudholes and seismic cutlines. Dual sport here we come.

The stock tires would not compare in the mud or steep rocky trails. However in the city I love the stock rear and 47t sprocket. Cornering is smoother and not as spooky with the aggressive front tire off now. Acceleration, rpm shift range and cruising speed is better with the 47t than with the 50t. On the foresty roads, the stocker rear and 6006 front work great.

Planning to get another front rim so I can permanently mount the Kenda K779 for offroad adventures.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have had the Maxxis Bighorn ATV tire on the rear and Kenda K779 on the front for several years while I tried to keep up with my growing son on his dirt bike. Now that he's off on his own, I decided to return to the stock rear TW34 and Maxxis 6006 (much like the Shinko Golden Boy) on the front. I had a stock 50t sprocket originally and switched to a 55t with the Bighorn. Returning to the stock rear tire I chose to go with a 47t (front is 14t – no changes here) . I didn’t want to try to get this Bighorn off, so I waited until a rim came up on ebay and put my TW34 on the ebay rim so I can go back to the Bighorn quite easily (55t sprocket is still mounted on that rim). Switching back would be easy as I will just add a couple of links in the chain with a second master link (two master links on a 428 chain does not concern me).

Ok so the reason for switching back is more forestry roads and some blacktop vs less single track mudholes and seismic cutlines. Dual sport here we come.

The stock tires would not compare in the mud or steep rocky trails. However in the city I love the stock rear and 47t sprocket. Cornering is smoother and not as spooky with the aggressive front tire off now. Acceleration, rpm shift range and cruising speed is better with the 47t than with the 50t. On the foresty roads, the stocker rear and 6006 front work great.

Planning to get another front rim so I can permanently mount the Kenda K779 for offroad adventures.

Although I don't have the same tires as you or even in size for that matter, I do agree with the 47t rear sprocket. The shifts are much wider now and I enjoy the choice I made. No more quick shifts just to get past a intersection after a green light ha. I also changed my front sprocket too.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I went a different route. Bought a second TW to leave mostly stock for dualsporting. Considering a third to equip for mostly street.

·
Super Moderator
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Trikstr: you have the addiction bad....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts