7,369 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
Nice! The price is just outside my budget, but I like the helmet mounting options!

You must have snow on the ground up in Yakima:)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice! The price is just outside my budget, but I like the helmet mounting options!

You must have snow on the ground up in Yakima:)

No snow yet. In fact today (Saturn's Day) ... the skies are blue and the sun is shinning. Looks like it's going to be a nice day on the bike. I am still looking into new camera options. My Kodak Playsports are great for everything ... except getting the correct pitch angle inside a helmet on a sport bike.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Actually I'll be forced to become "Gopro-herent" shortly. Not looking forward to sporting the now-comic (to me, at least) TeleTubby look, but I'll just buy pink riding attire and roll widdit.

My wunnerfulniss must be documented. Then of course all the getoffs must be edited out, speeds and approach angles artificially increased, etc. Expand my vocabulary to include buzzphrases like "Thanks for watching" after the obligatory end-of-day "Man in the Tent" closing segment, hire Mr.Bigwheel's voice coach, invest 20 times the cost of the camera in editing software and spend 15 hours editing a 20 minute ride..

Gotta love the innernit. I'll finally have a life.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Brown Santa brought my Teletubby kit today.

The Finance Queen must have watched your insightful review.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
I've not used it yet so I'm kind of talking through my hat, but my inital thought is that one day very soon someone will buid a better mousetrap and we're all gunna have quite a giggle over the GoPro scam.

It's the best thing out there for now, but for use on a motorcycle the configuration of the thing is awkward and all the things to make it useful are expensive add-ons that don't work well together. The basic GoPro has no viewfinder. So you gotta buy an LCD back for it in order to see where the camera is pointing. If you want more run time you have to buy a spare battery back which will not work with the LCD back in place, so you're back to no viewfinder but more run time. Ditto for the WiFi back. In addition each back that you use requires a corresponding back for the waterproof housing. The camera itself is miniscule but probably not very rugged unless it's in the waterproof housing.

Neither the camera or its housing have provision for a standard 1/4" tripod screw, so you gotta buy a Gopro Gizmo fer that.

IMO a ruggedized, submersible version of the JVC Adixxion or a further scaled-down version of the Contour with the lens in the long axxis and screen on the side would be a better format and ultimately a better value, but they're not there yet. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice unit and everything about it seems really precise, but it's not the direction I'd have gone if I were gunna design a state-of-the-art wearable cam.

My ideal camera would have a remote lens that you could place anywhere on the bike or on your person and could be used from anywhere in proximity of the main unit. For now such things only exist on high-end professional rigs.

We're gunna use the snot out of it, regardless. I just hope my anal tendencies don't find me devoting more time to editing and devising gizmos and attachment points for the camera than I spend riding. But I have a feeling that they will, at least until the novelty wears off.

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
We're gunna use the snot out of it, regardless. I just hope my anal tendencies don't find me devoting more time to editing and devising gizmos and attachment points for the camera than I spend riding. But I have a feeling that they will, at least until the novelty wears off.

Resist the tendency. You'll be drawn into the editing dark side.
I like the editing and such, but it takes time and it takes time away from riding! Novelty for me has not worn off after more than a year and I take it (contour) on almost every ride. Only novelty difference now is, I don't always turn it on. I'm learning to record more interesting stuff (I hope) and not every mile of the trail like I did in the beginning.

Have fun with it, and I look forward to some SoCal/Desert flicks.

P.S. I hope the model you got is the smaller version I've seen in stores, and not the one profiled here by Ipchad:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts