TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I finished cleaning out the carb and it was bad.After I got it put back in the bike started up but ran like crap'it snaped and popped and would not rev up.I pulled the spark plug and cleaned it and tried again and it ran pritty well but after it sat for an hour it did the same thing so I still have some work do do there but what puzzels me is that the clutch is siezed up.When I put it in gear it stalls even with the clutch pulled in.Now the safty switch could be acting up aswell, the clutch is not working so does any one have any suggestions for that other then reving it up and dropping it into gear.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Try second gear, engine off, clutch pulled, and roll the bike around. See if the rear tire can free it up. You are on the right track.

·
Registered
8,356 Posts
Is the kick stand down when you put it in gear?

GaryL

·
Registered
814 Posts
Air leak between the carb and cylinder will do that, check that boot.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Is the kick stand down when you put it in gear?

GaryL
Did that 3 times getting ready to take off yesterday and thought to myself "WTF" ....then realized I had the K~Stand down when I was putting it in first.....:rolleyes: Sometimes I miss the old days of Kick Starters and forget that "Safety" Shit!

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Well, Hoot, if you really miss it, bring that puppy by the shop and I can make it "olden times non compliant". On the other hand, you jack it on a corner with the stand down, Borneo will disavow any knowledge of your aciton.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL yes the stand is down.But I still have the clutch problem and I will check again for air leaks thanks.I have the gas tank from my snowblower on it for now and it looks kinda funky.Im thinking a mini keg would look cool.

·
Registered
8,356 Posts
LOL yes the stand is down.But I still have the clutch problem and I will check again for air leaks thanks.I have the gas tank from my snowblower on it for now and it looks kinda funky.Im thinking a mini keg would look cool.
When the bike is in neutral the kickstand safety switch is defeated. As soon as it comes out of neutral the kickstand safety switch cuts in and shuts the engine down.

GaryL

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was running the bike on a stand and putting it in gear with the side stand down so I'm sure thats the problem.I was trying to break the clutch free.I'm hoping with fresh oil and a little luck it will free up.The old oil was pritty bad.

·
Registered
8,356 Posts
I was running the bike on a stand and putting it in gear with the side stand down so I'm sure thats the problem.I was trying to break the clutch free.I'm hoping with fresh oil and a little luck it will free up.The old oil was pritty bad.
Braking the clutch free? I know from experience, if you have the rear wheel off the ground and the kickstand in the up position such as on a jack or block, when you put the bike in gear the rear wheel will spin. Pulling in the clutch lever will have zero effect when there is no pressure on the wheel. There is always enough friction on the clutch plates to cause it to spin until you get the wheel on the ground. If this is what you mean by the clutch being frozen then it is a normal condition.

If a previous owner used the wrong type of oil in the engine, Not oil specifically for motorcycles with wet clutches or possibly used some sort of oil additive, your clutch plates could be gunked up or glazed. They could be OK if you can clean them with brake cleaner or gas/kerosene and scuff them up to brake the glaze.

GaryL

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When the bike is in gear and I squeeze the clutch I can't turn the tire so Im guessing it is all gunked up and stuck together.

·
Registered
8,356 Posts
When the bike is in gear and I squeeze the clutch I can't turn the tire so Im guessing it is all gunked up and stuck together.
You have to have the bike on the ground and pointed in a safe direction. Fire it up, kickstand up, clutch in and put it in gear. I will bet it won't go anywhere and your clutch is working fine. You are making rocket science out of this!

GaryL

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Gary I will point it out the door and try that when I get home.I know My 750 will turn the wheel like you said.

·
Registered
19,587 Posts
And by the way, Oh banned on ADV one, you can't say shi* here. Just ask GaryL. I have a good memory.
I was going to warn you too Oh Banned One about choice of wording but Borneo beat me too it. We don't want you scolded here too.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well thanks everyone the clutch is fine but it was out of adjustment.I still have the backfireing and rough running though.I tighented the carb clamps and it didn't change but I only had a few minutes to mess with it last night.This weekend I am going to change the steering head bearings and get everything else back on and start cleaning the gas tank.
Thanks again to all those that took the time to help me out.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts