TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I'm a new rider and have already passed my MSF course and got my license. Everything has been working good so far except my downshifts. I currently just do the "standard" way which is simply clutch in > click down > clutch out slowly. No matter how slow I do it or how much brakes I apply, I always get that lurch or jerky feeling.

So I'm interested in learning how to revmatch. I watched many videos and I think I understand the process "clutch in> clickdown + blip > clutch out. My question is, is this safe to practice on my own? will I get into an accident learning this? I'll be in an empty parking lot of course.

Thanks for your time and take care!

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Hey everyone I'm a new rider and have already passed my MSF course and got my license. Everything has been working good so far except my downshifts. I currently just do the "standard" way which is simply clutch in > click down > clutch out slowly. No matter how slow I do it or how much brakes I apply, I always get that lurch or jerky feeling.

So I'm interested in learning how to revmatch. I watched many videos and I think I understand the process "clutch in> clickdown + blip > clutch out. My question is, is this safe to practice on my own? will I get into an accident learning this? I'll be in an empty parking lot of course.

Bro, this is the easiest thing to learn, no sweat. Here's what you do, you pull the clutch, and at "almost" the same time, blip the throttle a little, while the same time, moving the gearshift, and in it goes...(you'll feel it on your toe, the moment it matches your engine speed and goes in gear) , then clutch out and full speed ahead. ;) Just takes a little practice and then you will know...

·
Registered
254 Posts
I watched many videos and I think I understand the process "clutch in> clickdown + blip > clutch out. My question is, is this safe to practice on my own? will I get into an accident learning this? I'll be in an empty parking lot of course.

Hi Tdubluv, you must learn this and it is very easy. Once you get the hang of it you won't even think about it. Personally I can't really not do it because it will chip the back tire if I don't or get you in big trouble on gravel and dirt surfaces.
My way (process) happens real fast. Like 'clutch'n blip>clickdown clutch out'. It's like a couple of lightning quick jabs. Boomboom, you'll get it just don't overthink it:D.

best regards, MAC

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the responses!

Couple more questions before I go out and practice this.

How fast do I let the clutch out? is it like the same speed you let the clutch out when upshifting? (I see some guys do it extremely fast)
Also will this revmatching technique be appropriate and safe for highway speeds (60 mph and up) and also for light dirt trails?

Thanks again!!

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Yep, just like you do it regularly. It will soon become easy. Don't think about it, just let your memory muscles do it. It really takes place in the blink of an eye once you have it down. Well...maybe two. :D

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Thank you for the responses!

Couple more questions before I go out and practice this.

How fast do I let the clutch out? is it like the same speed you let the clutch out when upshifting? (I see some guys do it extremely fast)
Also will this revmatching technique be appropriate and safe for highway speeds (60 mph and up) and also for light dirt trails?

Thanks again!!
It will work in any gear but ONLY if you allow the bike to enter a speed that the lower gear can reasonably support. Example, you can't downshift from 60 immediately into 4th gear without first slowing down to around 45 or so. Same from fourth to third, you will need to slow to about 35 before you start to release the clutch. Example speeds are based off factory gearing of course.

Tom

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How much "blip" or throttle do I give? is it pretty much a guessing game? our Tdub's don't have a tach. Also will the amount of throttle I give, will it be the same for every downshift/gear?

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Ahhhhh....Tommy...the guy is having problems when he DOWNSHIFTS. Not upshifting. So why tell him to let the clutch out and full speed ahead ?

Geez :(
ahhh...he's supposed to know that part was joking. (I wink'd at him)? :D

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
How much "blip" or throttle do I give? is it pretty much a guessing game? our Tdub's don't have a tach. Also will the amount of throttle I give, will it be the same for every downshift/gear?
This depends on what speed you are currently traveling. If you are dropping into fourth and are going 48 mph you will have to rev it pretty high while slipping the clutch out.

Tom

Reactions: Tdubluv

·
Registered
213 Posts
^ What LittleTommy said. You'll get a real good feel for much to pop the throttle in no time. For me it's kind of the amount of time it takes to quick clutch in, pop a gear down and out on the clutch fast. It all happens pretty quick when you get the hang of it and the actual snap of the throttle is pretty small time wise. So to break it down into steps

1. Clutch in
2. Down shift / Throttle snap
3. Clutch out

My two cents. Might work for you might not. Try not to think about it too much.

·
Registered
254 Posts
blip it, blip it good !:toothy10:

MAC

P.S. the concept is the same whether your driving car, truck, or motorbike. Clutch is disengaged and you bring engine rpm's up before you shift thus synchronizing engine speed and transmision speed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This works on highways and dirt trails too?

Also, once I master the blip downshift, I can start applying both brakes while performing this? I gotta alert the drivers behind me..

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
This works on highways and dirt trails too?

Also, once I master the blip downshift, I can start applying both brakes while performing this? I gotta alert the drivers behind me..

Not really. You can use your rear brake to slow your speed so that the downshift is possible without locking up your back tire.

Tom

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Not really? for both brakes or not really meaning I can't do this on the highways / trails?
Can't use both brakes AND control the throttle while downshifting. You CAN downshift wherever there is a need to. I would NOT recommend downshifting on loose gravel until you can do it cleanly and smoothly every time though.

Tom

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can't use both brakes AND control the throttle while downshifting. You CAN downshift wherever there is a need to. I would NOT recommend downshifting on loose gravel until you can do it cleanly and smoothly every time though.

Tom
Okay, so just rear brake. Thanks Tom!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh, I forgot to ask. Is the rear brake applied before I do downshifting revmatch (separate) or am I applying the rear brake the entire time I'm downshifting/revmatching? Other words, do I push down on the rear brake slightly while revmatching?

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Oh, I forgot to ask. Is the rear brake applied before I do downshifting revmatch (separate) or am I applying the rear brake the entire time I'm downshifting/revmatching? Other words, do I push down on the rear brake slightly while revmatching?

Now may be a good time for you to go back and read the advice already given;) You are only braking enough to get your speed down into the range of the lower gear selected.

Tom

Reactions: Tdubluv
1 - 20 of 30 Posts