TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 2005 has 550 miles on it now, about 200 are mine. I'm in Idaho, elevation ~2,500 ft and plan to ride up to 6,000 often.

When I first got it, I noticed the revs would hold at idle and it made riding pretty stressful, especially on city streets. I changed the air filter, oil, oil filter, added a fuel filter, and have been using non-ethanol with a touch of Sea Foam. After all that, the idle issue went away, well, until today.

It's back so I've tried a couple other things. I lubed the throttle cables really well to rule that out. Then I gained access to the fuel/air mixture screw. It was a bit of a bear to get to, but I managed and set it 2.5 turns out like most seem to recommend. Hopped on for a test ride and idle is still holding/stuck.

The only thing I haven't done is disassemble and clean the carb. I have a rebuild kit, so I'm ready to do it, was just hoping that wasn't necessary yet.

The boots on the carb seem nice and snug, so I don't suspect a leak there. If it were yours, would you go ahead and bite the bullet on the carb? At this elevation, do you think my jets need different sizing?

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
18,942 Posts
The jets are probably fine at that altitude. I would try a strong dose of seafoam or carb cleaner like Lucas deep clean and then readjust your idle lower if needed afterwards. Hold off on a new carb before now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The jets are probably fine at that altitude. I would try a strong dose of seafoam or carb cleaner like Lucas deep clean and then readjust your idle lower if needed afterwards. Hold off on a new carb before now.
Thanks for the advice. If I snag the Lucas, would a whole 5.25 oz bottle (their little guy) go in? Lucas doesn't provide much guidance on that...

·
Super Moderator
18,942 Posts
I'm probably go 4 ounces of that of that stuff, it's pretty strong. I've always had great luck with it.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Change out your gas for new and fresh fuel.

Are you sure your throttle is returning properly? Are you sure you are not leaving your choke/enrichment circuit knob out and have it fully pushed in after warm-up? Is your idle speed adjusted properly to 1300-1400 RPM to begin with? Have you checked the area of the boots and around the carb itself to be sure that there are no leaks by spraying some carb cleaner or starting fluid aerosol around these areas with the bike running? The rubber shrinks and gets hard, so it is recommended to change these boots every decade or so.

The key with the additive cleaners like LT recommends is to mix it, then run it through the motor, then let it sit for hours or overnight, then run it again, repeat, repeat, repeat, etc.

What carb "kit" do you have?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for weighing in.

Throttle seems good. Freeplay looks right and it clicks back immediately when toggled.

I seldom use the enrichment knob, it's definitely pushed all the way in.

I don't have a tachometer but would like to get one to verify that. It sounds ok, but I know that doesn't mean a lot. And I haven't tried the starter fluid on the boot. Would that work (if there's a leak) on intake and exhaust boots, or just intake?

I got a rebuild kit from All Balls. Was well reviewed by the TW community, and definitely not the cheapest option out there (but not OEM).

·
Super Moderator
18,942 Posts
Hard to beat OEM parts...

Reactions: reddave

·
Registered
13 Posts
Great to hear you found it. I had a similar idle problem on mine (2013) and it turned out to be a tiny spring on top of the throttle diaphragm wasn't in place, so the needle would drift upward and it acted just like the enricher was pulled.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Check the vacuum cap on top of the intake manifold. My '07 was doing the same thing a few weeks ago... and lo n behold... a crack! Fixed with a basic black cap from the 'help' section of an auto parts store. Easy to overlook. Guess the rubber gets old n cracks with time.

·
Super Moderator
14,507 Posts
That's awesome, thanks! I'm in Boise so just down the road :)

Feel free to send a PM and maybe we could figure out a way to meet up?
Welcome and glad it got figger'd out. Oldworld 124, Mistervelocity and I have done quite a bit of riding this spring and summer down in Owyhee's and started some riding up here in Garden Valley.
Did some riding up north of Idaho City and Deadwood Reservoir the past couple weeks.
This was from yesterday north if IC. This is my well-deserved time-out after running a single track trail that wore me out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Welcome and glad it got figger'd out. Oldworld 124, Mistervelocity and I have done quite a bit of riding this spring and summer down in Owyhee's and started some riding up here in Garden Valley.
Did some riding up north of Idaho City and Deadwood Reservoir the past couple weeks.
This was from yesterday north if IC. This is my well-deserved time-out after running a single track trail that wore me out.
View attachment 207003
That sounds like fun, Admiral. Great to know there's a group of riders here in the area. I'm itching to get out and explore. My next project is to get a reliable means of transport for the TW. I think I need a hitch riser because the carrier I have drops our smaller SUV quite a bit.

Take care!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts