TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're going to ride from Jackass Gulch to Las Vegas, leaving the Admiralty on the 25th of September. We have to make Las Vegas by the 14th of November. We're planning on spending the 7th to the 9th at the 3rd Annual Russ Austin Ride at the Santa Margarita KOA.

I like to plan where I'm going using a Benchmark Atlas. I find Google maps handy to use to record a route and I can toggle back and forth with the satellite view to try to figure out the terrain and road conditions.
I then draw the route in Garmin Basecamp and convert it to a track for use on my GPS. I also email the Google links to myself so I can find them again later. I figured I would post them here if anyone is interested and cares to comment. Neither Mrs Trip or I have ever been to these areas before.
The maps are roughly equivalent to one days ride.

Map 1. Starts in Nyssa, OR, about 15-20 miles from the Admiral's. Ends in Burns, OR.
https://goo.gl/maps/PFwz59h5ESS2
The Admiral has been able to help out with some advice here. The area of concern I have is Dry Creek Cutoff which Benchmark considers a track. Garmin's routing is further south to Antelope Flat Rd which Benchmark shows as a 4wd road, a step up from a track. Google doesn't differentiate, but does show a time estimate of over 1 hr for a 15 mile span of Dry Creek. The satellite does not look bad, and I can see some large trucks half way. I think we'll give it a shot.

Map 2. Burns, OR to Prineville, OR. This day appears to be primarily paved. It looks like a pleasant area though, and I wanted to avoid the Central Oregon Hwy (rt20) that appears to be the only direct east-west route.
https://goo.gl/maps/Dceq22x225z

Map 3. Prineville to Diamond Lake.
Actually 2 maps. The first ends at Crescent Lake, a possible stopping point. My preference would be to ride further to put us closer to Crater Lake, which we will visit the following day. I'm not sure how much time to allow there, 2 to 3 hours maybe.
https://goo.gl/maps/h8BGJwNWGzx

https://goo.gl/maps/64wjPqqPUv92

·
Registered
19,385 Posts
Clever planning Jim. Really like the e-mail links with the daily maps idea. You two have the experience to make this work so I couldn't imagine adding anything of benefit other than a big thumbs up:icon_thumleft:

I do recall it taking a seemingly long time to get up to Crater Lake and then back down. With gear on the bikes you won't likely be able to do more than enjoy the various pull-outs and lake overlooks from the caldera rim so a few hours actually above the lake seems like you are budgeting plenty of time.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You two have the experience to make this work so I couldn't imagine adding anything of benefit other than a big thumbs up:icon_thumleft:
Well, I'm planning to follow your recommendations once we hit the Sierras.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
going to get fairly close to my neck of the woods here on the peninsula in Washington. If you would like to stop in this way, let us know, there are several folks that would like to join in I am sure. Beaches, long ones, mountains and great scenery.

Have a place for you to sleep and maintenance if need be.

·
Registered
19,385 Posts
Better see Randall if possible.
Don't listen to me as I'ld just end up sending you two back and forth across a bunch of Sierra mountain passes linking HWY49 on the Pacific side and HWY395 on the inland side....88 west (Carson Pass), 49 south, 4 east ( Ebbett's Pass), 395 south, 120 west (Tioga Pass in Yosemite) , 41 south ( Glacier Point, Big Trees, Sequoia N.P., Kern River). Maybe send you two to Virginia City first.:p Rhodetrip map.jpg

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
going to get fairly close to my neck of the woods here on the peninsula in Washington. If you would like to stop in this way, let us know, there are several folks that would like to join in I am sure. Beaches, long ones, mountains and great scenery.

Have a place for you to sleep and maintenance if need be.
Ha. ha. Thank you very much, Randall, but I think that's the wrong direction to get to Vegas. ;)

I want to go around the back side of Mt Shasta and we want to go to Fall River Mills.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Ha. ha. Thank you very much, Randall, but I think that's the wrong direction to get to Vegas. ;)

I want to go around the back side of Mt Shasta and we want to go to Fall River Mills.
With all the traveling you two do I can't keep up with your adventures, just the same, the offer stands, and that goes for any Tduber out there.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

·
Registered
13,320 Posts
Hi Jim,

I got back at 8:30 p.m. tonight from the "Rhodetrip Recon" of Dry Creek Cutoff and Antelope Flat. I made a loop ride of these two routes. As you know they connect on Crowley Rd. & Shumway Cutoff Junction. I am sore as hell. I hate Lava Rock! I took a pill to help the pain go away!

I'm leaving again in the a.m. to go camping and riding with daughter #1 and grandson in a different area. I will post up the video of the road conditions Monday or Tuesday.

I think I can safely say Dry Creek Cutoff is out. When I mentioned to you before about it being bumpy I lied. It's extremely bumpy with lots lava rock. In small dose's it wouldn't be that bad but the lava rock is relentless. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed myself, but with you too being on a time schedule it takes to long. Did I mention it was extremely bumpy!

The Antelope track is much much better but it has a section 5-10 miles which is rough. Again some lava rock but not as bad as Dry Creek Cutoff and more powder dust. Not deep but you do have to stay straight and slow. I rode this reverse of what you would. I'm going to see if there is a better way through this section. I was on a more main road and missed the turn. This main road looks like it links up to Mud Flat somewhere. I'll have to do more Google Earth Recon to see what I can come up with.

Again, I will post the video early next week.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Your crossing some of the very best Oregon has to offer. Have a great run and just pack a good long rope. Nothing to worry about if you break down. Just harness up on of our Wild and Majestic High Plains Horses and get ready for take off. You'll get out of anything and surely into something unexpected.

·
Registered
793 Posts
People adept enough to plan impress the heck out of me. Not a skill I ever developed too well. I would add that routes suitable for TW use are scarce
from the Sierras to the Coast, esp crossing the Central Valley. Hwy 46 is out for sure, Hwy 58 isn't bad but all paved. Seems a shame to miss Hwy 1 from Monterey to Morro Bay. Total TWRoad.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
People adept enough to plan impress the heck out of me. Not a skill I ever developed too well. I would add that routes suitable for TW use are scarce
from the Sierras to the Coast, esp crossing the Central Valley. Hwy 46 is out for sure, Hwy 58 isn't bad but all paved. Seems a shame to miss Hwy 1 from Monterey to Morro Bay. Total TWRoad.
Hey Will, I don't know if I qualify as "adept" but I definitely need a game plan on the TW with its combination of slow speed and limited fuel range. Thanks for pointing out Hwy 46, I had to find it on the map. Sometimes its more important to find out what to avoid (like Dry Creek Rd) than what's good. We'll probably pick our way over to Santa Margarita via Pozo Pass... maybe there and back.

·
Registered
13,320 Posts
Thanks, Kris. That could have been particularly bad given that we both thought it looked like it got better as it went on... that's a good way to work ourselves into deep sh*t.

Seriously considering this detour instead...Rt20!

https://goo.gl/maps/4ug9r2Wchd62

Late start: https://goo.gl/maps/1PEsxxKxK7x

I think your first route/link is pretty good with 1 caveat. Avoid the start on Twin Springs/Rock Canyon roads. Rock Canyon is heavily traveled and has lots of baby powder dust in many places. The route out of Juntura on Riverside road to Burns is a good gravel road alternative. Hwy 20 has a 70 mph speed limit and you would avoid the fastest portion and not get run over by taking the Riverside route.

Another minor change out of the gate. Head south on 201 out of Nyssa and turn right on Owyhee Ave like you have planned. Few miles down the road (west) turn right (north) on Jefferson Dr., then left on Janeta Ave. (west), then right on Lytle Blvd. (north again) This will take you to Vale where you can then head west to Juntura on Hwy 20. On Lytle Blvd. you would be riding along one of the Oregon Trail routes and there is a historic Oregon Trail interpretative pull out towards the top of the pass. This pass is not a high mountain pass at all, just a minor rise and then you would drop into Vale.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Another minor change out of the gate. Head south on 201 out of Nyssa and turn right on Owyhee Ave like you have planned. Few miles down the road (west) turn right (north) on Jefferson Dr., then left on Janeta Ave. (west), then right on Lytle Blvd. (north again) This will take you to Vale where you can then head west to Juntura on Hwy 20. On Lytle Blvd. you would be riding along one of the Oregon Trail routes and there is a historic Oregon Trail interpretative pull out towards the top of the pass. This pass is not a high mountain pass at all, just a minor rise and then you would drop into Vale.
https://goo.gl/maps/YpL2KqWe3kR2

That lops a lot of time off Google's estimate. Which is probably good since I don't know that we can manage an early start. Sure have piqued my interest in that area though. I would like to ride in there and check it out, but probably not with Lynn on a loaded bike. :) It looks like all paved from Nyssa to Vale via Lytle Blvd.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I live in Oregon this last map looks good not much out there but still maybe some trucks but not much I would think
Thanks Maxx,
On the satellite HWY20 looks like hardly any traffic, so the speeds don't bother me too much. Its when we start leading a parade because they can't get by that I get nervous.

·
Registered
13,320 Posts
https://goo.gl/maps/YpL2KqWe3kR2

That lops a lot of time off Google's estimate. Which is probably good since I don't know that we can manage an early start. Sure have piqued my interest in that area though. I would like to ride in there and check it out, but probably not with Lynn on a loaded bike. :) It looks like all paved from Nyssa to Vale via Lytle Blvd.
Roger that! Time savings and paved Nyssa to Vale!

I'm working on and still going to post the Rhodetrip route recon video & photos. It was still a great ride, just maybe not suited for fully laden TW's. The video won't show how rough the lava rock roads actually were and I was spent by the time I got home. I'm sure you two could have made it on either route but time would not have been your friend.

After doing Google Earth Recon, if you would re-route to stay on the better Antelope/Mud Flat road which would have bypassed the 2 track, it would've taken you right to the Page Place. Not sure if they allow or want someone to ride right around their barn yard. Your tracks took me about a 1/4 ish north of their place and it was definitely occupied and a working ranch. Other than that the Antelope route would have worked. Didn't see a good alternative other than your first route through here.

In between the vastness, you would have been rewarded.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
In between the vastness, you would have been rewarded.
Yes, I'm disappointed, but I'd just as soon have an easy first day. That was the most questionable area I've encountered so far in mapping the route. Thanks for checking it out! I'm looking forward to the photos and videos when you get the chance.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts