TW200 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've started offroading on gravel, dirt and big rocks. I'm worried about crashing on my side and hurting my ribs. Any product out there u guys wear for scenarios like this?

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
How about a couple pillows under your shirt? ;) A ballistic jersey works well. There is a correct way to fall and it will results in fewer injuries.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Back in 1992 I had a double bypass surgery. In the process, they split my sternum and when they were done in there they wired it back together. The Dr. said I could not go riding until at least 10 weeks. The idea of my chest being wired together got me nervous enough that I purchased a good quality chest protector that also covered much of my back and shoulders.

On the first day of the eleventh week I load my bike up and when I was done with work that day I headed for the Danskin area with my oldest son. We were cutting across a big shale slide when my front tire washed out. It stopped suddenly and over the handle bars I went. Just as I was about to hit the rocks, I thought, "This is going to hurt or worse". When I landed on my back, it knocked a little wind out of me but no pain involved.

Since then, when riding single tracks and rough country, I have always worn my chest protector. I even made a camera mount fitted to it that can be seen on my Icon. I have eaten the ground a few time since then and I know that the chest protector has save my ribs numerous times.

Happy Trails All

Ron in Boise

·
Registered
104 Posts
Cabelas bargain cave...they still have armor for under $20.

--
Richard (a.k.a. LiquidSilver)

91 TW200 / 03 VRSCA / 05 Polaris Sportsman 500 / Honda Helix CN250

1 - 6 of 6 Posts