1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still rich

And check the plug gap ......

Spark Plug Inspection

There's a lot of misleading information out there - but this is the best link I can find for you .....
The second message I've sent is a whole new spark plug I purchased few hours ago, mounted, runned for like 20 mins and checked with you guys, if it is still rich a bit I will decrease more the pilot screw

But at this point it will be tomorrow or in the weekend since I will need the bike a bit and can't mess with it haha

·
Super Moderator
5,315 Posts
Take the pilot back down to two turns – and start thinking about the main jets you had on order

The pilot jet at two works for most people, and is a reliable starting point – but most of the work is done by the main jet once you get above 30% throttle

If the bike was set up by its previous owner with a leaking rubber carb boot, he may have increased the main jet to compensate

Like I said in the beginning – one step at a time or you will lose track of what worked ……

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Take the pilot back down to two turns – and start thinking about the main jets you had on order

The pilot jet at two works for most people, and is a reliable starting point – but most of the work is done by the main jet once you get above 30% throttle

If the bike was set up by its previous owner with a leaking rubber carb boot, he may have increased the main jet to compensate

Like I said in the beginning – one step at a time or you will lose track of what worked ……
I am messing with carburetor because I swapped the boot from airbox to carburetor, so now I am sure there is a very leak-less connection so I have to screw in more the pilot screw, that's why I am checking with you guys

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
Some people called this to lean. Maybe so but it ran very very well !!!! #112 high speed jet, #40 pilot, and about 2 turns out, maybe a little more.

9-12-'16
P3060026.JPG P3060023.JPG P3060024.JPG

Same plug and engine 6 months later and still running very very well. Lots of power, very responsive.
3-30-'17

P9210030.JPG P9210029.JPG P9210030 (2).JPG

·
Registered
923 Posts
Look deep into the plug where the insulator meets the body. You'll see a dark band. How wide the band is will tell you how rich the motor is jetted. Here's a photo of cut plugs so you can see where to look for the band;

Timing will also affect a plug reading. The proper plug temperature range is another. Fuel can too. For example; adding oil to the gas will thicken it's viscosity and lean out a plug's reading.

Also where on the insulator color is showing will tell you where it may be lean or rich;

The plug in the middle is the correct color;

·
Registered
2,850 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Reactions: littletommy

·
Super Moderator
5,315 Posts
:( so 6 days of everyday riding is not enough to tell? :(
How many more kms I have to put on that spark to be "readable"?

(in 1000km I will change my oil, yay XD)
What I will say, is that if it looks like that after six days, you're onto a winner - keep an eye on it until the colour changes - (and it will)

But the point is that it doesn't change quickly, which indicates you're in the right range ......

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I think the bike runs quite ok, just sometime at steady throttle it seems to sputter, but is a sputter so light that to notice I need to be on a perfectly flat ground and pay a lot of attention to notice that it is happening
As some of you guys know I am kinda perfectionist, everything needs to be as perfect as possible
After this rich vs lean I will clean the bike and make sure nothing is loosong oil since I find some drips on the base head left side, but oil level is always the same, I check it everyday, I want to make sure those drops are caused by the fact thst I set valves and cleaned not very good with a rag

1 - 20 of 39 Posts