TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new Ricochet skid plate on the way. I have read post here about increased engine noise with the skid plate installed and it seems some here have come up with various solutions including coating with truck bed liner. I have been thinking of coating the inner side of the plate with Plasti Dip. I read that it can withstand temps up to 200 F and I doubt the skid plate would get that hot, right? Have any of you tried Plasti Dip on the Ricochet skid plate?

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Why don't you just put it on when you get it and see if the awful sounds folks are reporting really bothers you. Some folks are more sound sensitive than others.
I added a Ricochet about a month after I bought my TW and all I hear is a little 200cc motorcycle engine putt-putting. And I work as a sound engineer on occasion.

I have skid/bash plates on 3 of my motorcycles and other than sometimes being in the way of a clear oil change drop, none of them have bothered me audibly.
Yes, try it out first. There's a app that you can use with your phone called Decibel Meter. I think the lowest version is free at the App Store. Check it out at your ear or by your helmet before you get and install the Ricochet. Then again at the ear after. There should or would be negligible increase (meaning some but not a lot).

All Winter when I'm wearing a full-face helmet my Ural sounds just like my BMW's. When it gets warmer and I sometimes use a 3/4 helmet it sounds like a clanking frying pan of marbles. Shape of your helmet affect audible effects as well.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
“ A clacking frying pan of marbles” lol “ Is this sound my motor makes normal” YES. Still laughing.

·
Registered
466 Posts
i had a can of bed liner and put several coats, top and bottom on my skid plate. I never ran it without the liner on it so no comparison, but I did not notice a difference in noise level with the new skid plate installed.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Thanks, Stagewax. I am also a sound engineer. I work with live bands so I'm probably half deaf anyway;)
HaHa. Then you'll know what I mean. Perfect.
I'm more of a Lighting guy so always suspicious of you sound geeks.

Before I got my TW I read all the forums about the folks that did feel the sound was annoying to them and what they did to try and calm it down.
And specific to the Ricochet no less. The thing is you are not really changing the direction of where the sound goes so unless you do that by bending the plate a different way. The difference by adding sound diffusion (felt, bed liner, tape, etc.) is going to be negligible.

But everyone is different. I just never noticed any change at all. And repeat that your helmet itself becomes a funnel of sound too.

·
Registered
19,401 Posts
FYI: Gasoline supposedly will dissolve PlastiDip. Do not know how engine oil would affect the coating but PlastiDip needs to be thick to have much tear and abrasion resistance.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
i noticed a big rattle noise with mine. all it took was a piece of rubber mat and it was gone. unlike anything you spray on the skid plate, a rubber mat will come right off if it doesn't work out. that was the only metal skid plate i owned, after that, i bought plastic plates 84.JPG

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
the Ricochet skid plate is effectively a parabolic reflector and in my experience I only hear feedback noise in a certain position on the seat and never enough to bother me as too much Led Zeppelin, RUSH, Nitro Funny Cars and pounding out old MOPAR fenders has left me hearing little that offends me lol

I bet a guy or gal could drill couple holes in the Ricochet especially if you could determine the point of peak wave concentration and eliminate a lot of the feedback and not weaken it enough to matter

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Well I decided to follow the advise offered by a few of you guys and I just bolted it on and rode. I"m happy to say I did not hear any difference in sound at all. :)

I'd like to give a shout out to PlacerLode for his quick and efficient service getting me my Ricochet skid plate and Seat Concepts seat - great products at a great price.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts