TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my Ricochet skid plate, haven't even brought it near the bike yet but I read in the instructions that I need to "clip off the small loop used for the factory skid plate". I don't like the idea very much as sooner or later I might want to put the stock plate back on this bike and install the Ricochet on another TW... so, is this really necessary? There is no going back then?

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
I just got my Ricochet skid plate, haven't even brought it near the bike yet but I read in the instructions that I need to "clip off the small loop used for the factory skid plate". I don't like the idea very much as sooner or later I might want to put the stock plate back on this bike and install the Ricochet on another TW... so, is this really necessary? There is no going back then?

Hi Sinophilia,

Like you, I didn't want to cut this loop off. So using a rubber coated hammer, I just gave the loop a few whacks and bent it up out of the way against the frame. That way I can always bend it back if needed. The Ricochet skid plate went on with no problems. Hope this helps.

Brian

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Brian, that's exactly what I hoped to hear. Will do the same then!

·
Registered
421 Posts
I just ordered one, should be here Tuesday. Good to know you can bend the tab out of the way. I will probably install it as soon as the UPS truck pulls up, I have zero patience

·
Registered
108 Posts
I did the same bending mine out of the way with a large screwdriver. I think once you get the stock one off and check it out you will never want to put it back on.

Wayne.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think once you get the stock one off and check it out you will never want to put it back on.

Yes the stock one seems quite useless, but if I ever decide to sell this bike I would keep the Ricochet for another TW... it cost me a pretty penny with shipping and customs taxes!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Mine should be here today sometime, UPS says out for delivery! I took the stock one off, it is pretty pathetic at best. Can't wait to get the Ricochet installed!

·
Registered
421 Posts
I installed it today. I ended up cutting the loop off, it was simple to do. I bent it out of the way at first but found it was still in the way. I may have been able to do some more bending but it seemed easier to just zip it off. It is way cool and beefy!

·
Registered
908 Posts
I installed it today. I ended up cutting the loop off, it was simple to do. I bent it out of the way at first but found it was still in the way. I may have been able to do some more bending but it seemed easier to just zip it off. It is way cool and beefy!

WHAT!?
No pics??

I know you're picture-savy B... Let's see some pics of that new skidplate!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Going to have to wait until I get home.
Ok home from work now, here is the pics!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The bell is a nice touch! GoaTW?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I notice the hole for oil drainage...

I don't recall seeing that in pix of the originals.

Something new???

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I notice the hole for oil drainage...

I don't recall seeing that in pix of the originals.

Something new???

Greetings, I didn't see it in the pics either, however, it is in the written description.

Bag

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mine is finally installed too...

·
Registered
512 Posts
I guess I've got a dumb question, but I've always wondered what those lines in the skid plate are for. Normally, I thought they were just measurements, but in bbagwell's picture, it actually looks like they are etched out. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Also, is there any other good reason to get one of these other than some major off-road riding? I don't plan on doing much of that on mine, just some gravel and dirt roads, logging roads would probably be the most off-roading I'll do.

Dan

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I guess I've got a dumb question, but I've always wondered what those lines in the skid plate are for. Normally, I thought they were just measurements, but in bbagwell's picture, it actually looks like they are etched out. Can anyone shed some light on this?

These lines are not so visible on my plate, I think they really are just for measurement.

The stock plate is really thin, ours are all bent and dented and we only ride our TW's on tarmac. And we got a hole in the left carter of one TW. More protection won't hurt.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Those lines are on each side of a bend; so yeah, definitely for measurement during production... They wear off pretty quickly.

I ride into some pretty nasty stuff occasionally and it's already saved my bacon a couple times. Besides drastically improving the protection, I think the skidplate gives the bike a much more utilitarian look...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts