TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a Ricochet skid plate, not anodized. I was wondering how they look after being out in elements for a while. I like the look of bare aluminum but am worried about it oxidizing. I was considering alodine coating it. What are your experiences?

·
Registered
20,505 Posts
Mine accumulates scratches, dings and gouges when put to use in it's intended environment. Simple sand tossed up by front wheel also tends to sand blast the leading edge so I never thought to try to preserve an appearance. It might be a challenge to maintain a thin cosmetic layer like alodine or anodizing.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
they are very inexpensive if you know where to buy them so just sell your plate once a year and replace with a new one you can easily get $85 cash for a well used Ricochet and you can get a brand new one for $89 delivered
I paid almost $200 Canadian for mine! I bought it directly from Ricochet and with import fees, taxes and delivery It got pricey!

·
Registered
20,505 Posts
How about a replaceable wrap, or vinyl cladding? Buy it buy the square meter and replace as necessary.
Plasti-Coat sprays and dips can provide colorful protection as well as sound dampening but they are supposedly not fuel resistant. I've only used them to waterproof electronics.
The mentioned bedliners should have good adhesion, and then supposedly they can take a various colorcoats for the look you want.

·
Registered
57 Posts
In the 4x4 rock crawling world many line their aluminum skid plates with HDPE or UHMW for better slip off of the rocks. Aluminum by itself gouges and grabs on to easily. Obviously, motorcycles are not the same exact application but I could see where a slippery skid plate might come in handy. Nice thing about the bed liners is most can be re-applied over themselves after a little prep work. They will reduce the slip factor however. One such product that I used on my 72 Commando is Monstaliner. Applies roll on or with an undercoating gun, which is what I did. Texture can be adjusted with psi on the air. 20170421_172933.jpg

·
Registered
69 Posts
Keeping the bike shiny goes out the window as soon as you get on some tight two track or single track and start dragging rocks and tree branches. If being shiny is a big concern I wouldn't sweat putting a 100 dollar skid plate on, cause it'll quickly become unshiny after going off pavement for a bit. Alodine is nasty stuff. I had to use it as an aviation mechanic to coat aluminum turbine engine front frames where paint had been worn off. Had about a million warnings all over the manual and on the tube itself with a little protective shield saying not to get it on you or you'd get about 10 forms of cancer (exaggerating a little bit of course), but it's not something I would think of using on something like a skid plate. It's going to get all bashed up anyway.

Mine is lucky to get a hose down after being off road.

Also there's this. Leave it alone and it will protect itself

Aluminum is reactive and will react spontaneously with water and/or air to form aluminum oxide. Aluminum oxide, Al2O3, forms a stable passive layer that protects aluminum from corrosion or further oxidation.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
I've seen a lot of well used Ricochet skid plates on TW's and honestly I've never seen one that didn't look great I'm sure the bottoms ain't pretty but with any luck we'll never get run over by a TW so who cares ?

I like the anodized plates they are only $10 more if you get them from me and the gold plate looks fantastic on the new 2018's TW's matching the gold accent band in the paint scheme

The top half is the part you see and it always looks great in my book Ricochet skid plates are one product that would be tough to improve upon for the price
SAM_7080.JPG SAM_7083.JPG

·
Registered
13,810 Posts
Keeping the bike shiny goes out the window as soon as you get on some tight two track or single track and start dragging rocks and tree branches.
Mine is lucky to get a hose down after being off road.
I agree with both of these statements. Except, my skidder wasn't shinny to start but is gouged well enough per sentence #1.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts