TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As I patiently await the arrival of my new TW to the dealer, I am thinking about the ride home. I want to break This bike the best way possible. The most direct route is a four lane with a 65 mph speed limit. The dealer is about 65 miles from my home. While I can find other ways that aren't as fast, they will add miles. From everything I have read, 50 miles is about the max recommended before changing the oil for the first time. So, what should I do? The only other vehicle I have bought was an 08 Dodge diesel. I didn't follow manufacturers recommended break in. Within 500 miles it was towing a heavy load down the interstate. That truck broke in quick and never used any oil. I figured heavg trucks never have a "soft" break-in and van last 1 mil miles. Bug, a diesel engine is slightly different than a 200 cc thumper.

Also, I have access to Rotella T in bulk. (I work in a truck shop). Is this a commonly ran oil around here? Thanks

·
Registered
13,657 Posts
Don't worry about the 50-mile oil change recommendation by the forum. Ride it home and then change the oil. You will also be fine running the back roads which add miles. Other than a short jaunt, I'd stay off the 4 lane.

Too many (good & bad) opinions on what oil to use. Mine would just be one of them. I say read the owners manual and you can decide from there.

Best advice I can give, have fun with the TW!:D

·
Registered
746 Posts
Rotella T works fine. Be prepared for a major controversy though, because some people around here think it's no good if it doesn't have a picture of a motorcycle on the can. :D

Personally, I would just stop and let it rest a bit and check the oil, adding a bit if necessary. Then change it after you arrive home. I would take one of the slower routes home, and I would put some pretty good loads on it to ensure the rings seat.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
You still buy oil in a CAN?
:) :)

I showed my stepson the old chrome push in spout for oil cans... He had no idea what it was for!!!!

Rotella T works fine. Be prepared for a major controversy though, because some people around here think it's no good if it doesn't have a picture of a motorcycle on the can. :D

Personally, I would just stop and let it rest a bit and check the oil, adding a bit if necessary. Then change it after you arrive home. I would take one of the slower routes home, and I would put some pretty good loads on it to ensure the rings seat.

·
Super Moderator
5,166 Posts
rpm variation and engine load variation is the key here - keep the bike doing different stuff - change the oil when you get back home, the mileage isn't critical, it's more to do with getting the early junk out of the engine .......

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
welcome to the forum I changed my oil and filter at 100, 250, 600 and the dirtiest the filter was, was at 100. with each change it is cleaner to a point where I don't mind changing it every other oil change. as far as break in goes, I read an article that said you have the first 20 miles to break in the rings properly, after that it can it can take forever, if ever. with mine, in the first 50 miles, I road it like I stole it, at least once. just my opion

·
Registered
587 Posts
Changing the oil during breakin is a good idea imo, get the break-in shavings out. I run Rotella T in my bikes and love it(keep an eye out for coupons), best bang for buck imo. Alot of peeps run Mobil in theirs after breakin too, another good choice. Take it easy for first few miles, no wot and you will be fine :).

·
Registered
338 Posts
Iowegian, I don't know where you read that...stuff....but it is 100 % wrong. Seriously !

Take the longer route to get home. Stay off the higher speed roads, and take your time getting home. Run the new bike at fluctuating speeds...up and down.....for the first couple hundred miles.

With 65 miles to go from the dealer to your house, you should take an extra loop...add another 35 miles....make it an even 100 miles, and then take 3 hours to do it. REALLY !

Run the new bike a moderate speeds...up and down on the throttle, for the first 25 to 40 miles. Then take a short break at a stopping place. let the engine cool down a little. Then do that again, for another 25 to 40 miles. Let it cool down again. Then do the final miles home.

Change that original oil at around 250 miles........NOT at 50 miles.

And yes, there are folks on here that run Rotella T oil. That is generally done AFTER the engine has been broken in.
Spot on advice!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Rotella...is that synoil?

The problem with synthetic is, if it's not designed for use with a wet-clutch ("picture of a motorcycle on the bottle") you will probably have friction-reducing compounds added that may/will cause the clutch pack to slip.

This comes to mind because I just got through the first self-administered oil change, complete with addition of the Mobil 1 oil that had the motorcycle picture on the container. "Specially formulated for motorcycle use with wet clutches." I'm not a big believer in the marketing stunts that oil retailers like (Old-car oil, special oil for bro-dozer trucks; small-car-engine oil, yada yada) but the wet clutch is the joker in the deck. I've had good luck with Mobil 1 in 35 years; so if they say it's formulated to work with wet clutches, I'm willint to accept that. Until I find out otherwise.

·
Super Moderator
17,991 Posts
I love Mobil 1 4T racing oil for the TW... :icon_thumright:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Vary the engine load and I would not run it over 55, and not over 50 for any length of time. I think you can run an engine reasonable hard during break in without damage - provided you don't do it for very long. I would not take a brand new air-cooled 13 horsepower TW and run it at highway speed during its first 65 mile trip.

I have owned dozens of new vehicles and have never changed the oil before the recommended interval for the first oil change. I have never had an engine use oil, smoke, or have any kind of trouble what-so-ever. I always figured it wouldn't be a good idea to drain the original oil with any assembly lubes it may contain too soon.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
I would get a U haul trailer with ramp for $40. and take my time and get use to the bike and brake it in slowly. I did my first oil change at 50mi and the filter was full of white Teflon looking stuff it is only a quart of oil so no big deal on the oil.
Don't forget it is a new engine and the parts need to get hot and seat so I would not take a new TW and run it at 55+ for the first 50 miles.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I see a lot of talk about changing the oil early and often, but I've never seen anything about someone who caused engine damage or excessive wear from waiting until the 600 mile oil change. Just saying.:)
I just did my first, and the TW's second, oil change.

NOTHING in the filters...either the paper filter top or the mesh filter in the bottom. Just a trace of sludge in the drainings.

Unless there's reason to believe there's something amiss, I'd see no problem in sticking to the book schedule. Changing the oil at 50 miles won't hurt but it won't do any good, either - and you'll still want to change it at 600 miles.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The oil I am talking about is Rotella T conventional, not T6 synthetic. My work has a 250 gallon drum, so the price per quart is pretty cheap.

I think I will load it in the back of the pickup and bring it home. Then the first day I can do a wide variety of driving (road and woods)

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
The oil I am talking about is Rotella T conventional, not T6 synthetic. My work has a 250 gallon drum, so the price per quart is pretty cheap.

I think I will load it in the back of the pickup and bring it home. Then the first day I can do a wide variety of driving (road and woods)
Good deal the oil you are talking about is good for the TW all you need to do is ride it and have a great time and join us on a group trip if you can. Paul

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Do you see anyone in this picture worried about the oil change? 15455d1427656999-twilights-moab-adventure-gulp-moab-100.jpg

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would get a U haul trailer with ramp for $40. and take my time and get use to the bike and brake it in slowly. I did my first oil change at 50mi and the filter was full of white Teflon looking stuff it is only a quart of oil so no big deal on the oil.
Don't forget it is a new engine and the parts need to get hot and seat so I would not take a new TW and run it at 55+ for the first 50 miles.
That's what I'd do too. I've rented u-haul bike trailers for under $20. Break it in around town at varying speeds, certainly not a long distance on the freeway. Have fun. Congrats!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts