TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Admiral’s will be in the Black Hills SD area September 4 & 5 riding our TW butts off.
We don’t have a definite camp area or ride plan yet, but if you are interested in meeting up with us to ride or camp send one of us a PM and we will get a definite plan made.

If you have suggestions for camp or awesome areas to ride please let us know.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Mr & Mrs,

We had thought about the Hills Labor Day weekend. Did it years ago and it was great.

Weather cools off nice and all the Sturgis traffic gone.

AND...lots of Rally beer left over that they blow out for a buck a can (this is last of season before most places close down).

Check out Rec. Springs just outside of Lead (SD). Cheap lodging, have gas, their back yard is straight trail access, and they used to rent atvs, so off road friendly. Not too far from Deadwood, which I think you would like to check out. The Heads (Rushmore) are a bit of a ways off, but if coming from MN, you could swing past them via Rapid; then on up.

Custer State is very neat too, but pretty big with no real gas, food, etc.

Not much in Sturgis after Rally, but Deadwood keeps pretty open, and they have an oyster bar and John Wayne's 70 something F250! :D

Probably not too exciting for you folks, but round here, the Hills are the best we get.

Might see you there...

-you will have to check map, but Needles Hwy is real pretty too, but again, a ways off. Just cannot recall right now if you can catch that with the Heads from Rapid, if you stay up that way.

Edit- Nope, Needles IN Custer.:mad:

·
Registered
13,343 Posts
Mr & Mrs,

We had thought about the Hills Labor Day weekend. Did it years ago and it was great.

Weather cools off nice and all the Sturgis traffic gone.

AND...lots of Rally beer left over that they blow out for a buck a can (this is last of season before most places close down).

Check out Rec. Springs just outside of Lead (SD). Cheap lodging, have gas, their back yard is straight trail access, and they used to rent atvs, so off road friendly. Not too far from Deadwood, which I think you would like to check out. The Heads (Rushmore) are a bit of a ways off, but if coming from MN, you could swing past them via Rapid; then on up.

Custer State is very neat too, but pretty big with no real gas, food, etc.

Not much in Sturgis after Rally, but Deadwood keeps pretty open, and they have an oyster bar and John Wayne's 70 something F250! :D

Probably not too exciting for you folks, but round here, the Hills are the best we get.

Might see you there...

-you will have to check map, but Needles Hwy is real pretty too, but again, a ways off. Just cannot recall right now if you can catch that with the Heads from Rapid, if you stay up that way.

Edit- Nope, Needles IN Custer.:mad:
Thanks, will research some of what you have mentioned. I've been to Deadwood before and wasn't going to stop, but now that you mention it, riding through town might have a pretty cool factor on the TW's. I suppose the local's wouldn't be that impressed with the roar of 2 TW's so soon after the rally!:p

We've seen the "Heads" before, lol, so not high on our priority to seem them again unless accidental.

Thanks again for the info. Cool if you surprise us by showing up too!

·
Registered
1,931 Posts

·
Registered
13,343 Posts
The Trip to Minnesota and Back

Preview Pictures.

Purpose for trip: Check

Alternate purpose: Check
D.A. I think Mrs. Admiral notified you of my dad's info so you can arrange pickup. I also sent you a txt with the info.

Aren't they a cute couple? :p

A bit of what we did and saw in between start and finish. Proper ride report to follow when I recover from being so tired.

Black Hills, South Dakota near Nemo.

Badlands SD.

Minnesota on the day it didn't rain.

In Wisconsin, on a day it did rain (car). Crossing Mississippi River between Wabasha, MN & Nelson, WI

In Wisconsin, on a day it didn't rain. Arcadia, WI, "Soldiers Walk".

Mississippi River on a day it didn't rain.

Why we come back home. Teton Mtns., outside of Jackson Hole, Wy near Idaho border.

·
Registered
19,419 Posts
Glad you're back safe and sound with that primo MG Midget. Had heard of chance of snow in the Black Hills and know how changing September weather can cut short a planned outdoor outing up there.

·
Registered
13,343 Posts
Challenge Accepted-Getting my Big Butt in an MG Midget

Dad quietly mentioned to my wife to record me getting into our new to us MG Midget. Dad thought I'd have an issue. It's up to you to judge, but I think I get a 7 out of 10 on my first attempt eh! Dad was impressed.

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
That looked way too easy. I remember one time my dad got a ride home from one of his navy buddies in a little MG and the guy had to bring it right next to the curb and dad had to fall out onto the grass and crawl out. He was 6' 6'' and 360 lbs. I had a Austin Healey Sprite in my earlier (and thinner) days, I never had that problem, but there is a method to getting into and out of those little cars!! You did good Kris!! Fun little cars too!! :p

Challenge Accepted-Getting my Big Butt in an MG Midget

Dad quietly mentioned to my wife to record me getting into our new to us MG Midget. Dad thought I'd have an issue. It's up to you to judge, but I think I get a 7 out of 10 on my first attempt eh! Dad was impressed.

·
Registered
13,343 Posts
Entry and extrication might be a little more difficult with the top up. Maybe there is a shoe horn in the trunk.:)
Last night after I unloaded the MG I tried to get in with the top up. Actually, not really as difficult as I had thought "heading" in. I should have left the top up. We drove the MG to dinner last night with the top down. I didn't take a jacket. Ride to the restaurant was ok. I froze on the way back. Next time is jacket time. Quite a bit of pep for something with such a small engine. Fun factor is off the charts!

·
Registered
19,419 Posts
That is one big river! Worked for a bit on your Snake River's Lower Monumental Dam's navigation lock and fish ladder. Impressive Corp of Engineer projects, good for the wheat shipping but hard on the fisheries. lower-monumental-dam---a-fish-ladder-380.jpg fish.jpg Chinook_Salmon_PNNL_Flickr.jpg

Since then I believe they have installed a "fish water slide" aerator to aid in the downstream migration of juveniles
. hy_151_stepped_spillway_aerator_1.jpg

·
Registered
13,343 Posts
I think i stumbled upon a couple of your youtube videos while looking around for TW200 info. Great stuff! Looks like you had a blast. My wife was watching over my shoulder, my TW hunt may have just doubled in price. :)
I have 2 of 4 of the Black Hills/Badlands video posted to youtube & shared but not yet posted them here on the forum, but will when I get done with video editing.

All with both of us on the TW's. Mrs. Admiral has been riding a TW for 1 year now so careful who looks over your shoulder!:p

·
Registered
583 Posts
Nice Midget Admiral. When I had my recently sold Spitfire getting in was the easy part. Getting out, especially if I had been there a while, was the hard part. The first thing you go for is the corner of the windshield to help lift up and out and as you are probably already aware that is a no no. More than one windshield has been ruined by that method.
Like the TW those little cars are a ton of fun to drive on a nice twisty back road!! My Spitfire went around tight corners like it was on rails.:D
I replaced the Spitfire with a mint 98 Sidekick ragtop. Not as sporty but still a lot fun in a different way.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts