TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made the mistake of riding an old BMW airhead this afternoon instead of the reliable TW.
I decided that running an unnecessary errand in a town 18 miles away was a good excuse for getting some fuel through the old bike. It ran great on the way there, but slowly started running worse and worse on the way back, eventually dieing about 4 miles from home. Pretty sure the carbs got clogged up.
Luckily the rescue trailer was already hooked up from moving firewood earlier today, and my wife had an easy time getting it to me (she doesn't like trailers).
Tire Sky Wheel Fuel tank Plant
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Fuel tank

All motorcycles are cool. Some are nicer to look at than others. None are fun to have to trailer home (the ride of shame).

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
That is a COOL bike even standing still, brother! Time for some maintenance? Even cooler!

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is a COOL bike even standing still, brother! Time for some maintenance? Even cooler!
Thank you. I can't take any credit for the bike. Whoever customized and pieced it together had some good ideas on how it should look.
I received it a couple of months ago for a very small price from a very generous friend that didn't want to hassle with it's problems.
The frame and most of the suspension is from a 1987 RT maybe, but the engine, tank, headlight, gauges, etc are from a 70s R75/5. Then there are a lot of custom parts too.
It definitely needs some electrical help and carb maintenance.
It is designed as a scrambler, but is geared very high and I don't know if that can be changed since it has the single-sided drive shaft. It does better on gravel roads than I expected but even starting from a stop on pavement involves a good amount of clutch feathering.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
This ain't shameful, legit mechanical failure, granted it may be related to maintenance... but what failure short of factory-based component failure/fire/accident isn't related to maintenance?

As the others have said, that is one rad bike, Yawp. I'd be pretty dang happy sittin next to that thing on the side of the road.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for the compliments on the bike. Like I said, I can't take credit for it, but I appreciate its beauty.
I'm pretty sure that junk slowly got into the carbs as I was riding. The tank is somewhat rusty on the inside and there are no fuel filters, plus the way it was slowly cutting out or at half power like one side was getting clogged up all lead me to toward carb problems. The good news is the carbs are easily accessible just hanging out there above the cylinders. They don't even have screws on the bottom, just heavy wire springs that hold the float bowls on.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Thank you all for the compliments on the bike. Like I said, I can't take credit for it, but I appreciate its beauty.
I'm pretty sure that junk slowly got into the carbs as I was riding. The tank is somewhat rusty on the inside and there are no fuel filters, plus the way it was slowly cutting out or at half power like one side was getting clogged up all lead me to toward carb problems. The good news is the carbs are easily accessible just hanging out there above the cylinders. They don't even have screws on the bottom, just heavy wire springs that hold the float bowls on.
Once again cool bike...
The mirror adjustment has me a little confused..
Are you watching the rear tire for some reason on the brake side mirror ??
Just curious ..,

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Once again cool bike...
Are you watching the rear tire for some reason on the brake side mirror ??
Just curious ..,
Haha, good observation. I wondered if anyone would notice that. The right side mirror came loose as I started on my ride yesterday, so instead of stopping and correctly fixing it, I just spun it tight so that it wouldn't wobble around or spin off any further.
The mirrors down by the headlight are more effective than I thought they would be. It is an odd sensation to look down just in front of my armpit to see the mirror, but at least the shoulders of my jacket don't obstruct the rear view like on most bikes.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Haha, good observation. I wondered if anyone would notice that. The right side mirror came loose as I started on my ride yesterday, so instead of stopping and correctly fixing it, I just spun it tight so that it wouldn't wobble around or spin off any further.
The mirrors down by the headlight are more effective than I thought they would be. It is an odd sensation to look down just in front of my armpit to see the mirror, but at least the shoulders of my jacket don't obstruct the rear view like on most bikes.
I think that mirror location looks great on that bike..
I may steal that idea someday..
Does your beamer have the rt rear drive ?
I believe the rt differential is geared higher then the R75/5 was..
I do not know if the gear sets are interchangeable .,
Good luck with your airhead
mike from NC

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, has the rt rear end.
The mirrors look great with this bike. I'm not sure how practical they would be on a true dual sport with lots of tip overs.
Similarly, the only turn signals on this bike are on the ends of the grips/handlebars. They show front and back. They would be toast if they hit the ground, but the large cylinder guards might stop them from touching with a slow tip over. Pretty sure they're not legal, but it's also possible that turn signals were not required when parts of this bike were originally made.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
That is one cool bike, @mountain yawp !

I bet that is one neat exhaust note. A close up picture of the frame where the top shock mount was fabricated would be interesting to look at.

Wife and I rode a '73 Slash Five cross country back in 1984 to the Flagstaff BMW Rally. A trip to remember!

Marty

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I wonder what just the Toaster Tank would be worth?

Marty

Reactions: Workingman

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I bet that is one neat exhaust note. A close up picture of the frame where the top shock mount was fabricated would be interesting to look at.
It is much quieter than expected because it still has the hidden 2-into-1 muffler box that sits under the bike just in front of the swing arm.
I will try to get the carbs cleaned and running so that I can post a video for you showing the frame and the engine sound. Fall projects are taking over before it gets too cold, so it's not my first priority.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wife and I rode a '73 Slash Five cross country back in 1984 to the Flagstaff BMW Rally. A trip to remember!
My guess is you are more familiar with these bikes than I am.
Your welcome to swing by and take it for a ride whenever you're in the neighborhood. Kind of a long trip from Florida to Oregon for an old bike ride though. The offer stands.

You mentioned the value of the toaster tank. I had the same question. I think a few hundred bucks on eBay depending on condition. Mine is not as perfect as it appears in the pictures.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Don't know as I'll ever make it out that way again, but thanks for the mighty kind offer just the same, Yawp!

Marty

Reactions: mountain yawp

·
Registered
2004 R1150GSA BMW, 2018 Van Van, 2004 V star 1100
872 Posts
That's for sure the last itiration of the Airhead based on wheels and mono shock. Lower geared rear ends are available they even made a GS from that framework, lots of hacks. Do yourself a favor and ditch the scrambler clothes if you want a sweet ride. Stock they'll do dirt roads fine and tarmac even better. All cleaned up and stock are starting to appreciate in value. Stock they came with oil cooler even, prepping to come out with the new design boxer with fuel injection etc. Above average road unit from that era. Poor unit to butcher into a scrambler IMHO but to each their own.
Hook up with Airheads for great info, much like this site

Reactions: Darth73

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nice toaster! Had a 1986 R 80 RT that a PO turned into an R 80 with a cafe fairing. A great bike that I had restored and was troublefree up to the time a Georgia Tech grad student, who was probably exhausted from studying, took a left turn in front of me and totaled the machine.

All I got was a twisted ankle so forever grateful to the Beemer who gave its life to save mine

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mountain, if you can get that toaster sorted out they tend to run forever. I believe that vintage has a points type ignition so wondering if you can do an electronic ignition conversion at a reasonable price.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts