TW200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2007 and 2012 TW200
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to ride along with some other Tdubers in the local area. Went up to Santiago peak the other weak for my first ride in the local mountains. Would like to explore that mountain a bit more with someone that knows the trails.

John

·
Registered
200 Posts
Howdy I’m local and have ridden Saddleback (Santiago Main Divide) many times. There is not much left open, used to ride dirt from corona to Fallbrook all dirt except where you crossed Ortega. You can still ride Silverado to Lake Elsinore when the gates are open. It’s all paved south of Ortega but that’s still a fun drive too.

You can ride Matthews, Perris, and Gilman many do but they aren’t legal.
Closest legal trails for us are the Trestles at Baldy Mesa ( I-15 @ hwy138). It has signed single track but the entire area is a Indian arch site so the USFS likes you to stay on the trail.

My favorite local trails are up behind Silverwood, Arrowhead Lake this area was spared in the fire and still has those beautiful trees. You can day trip staging at Silverwood dam but overnight in Miller Cyn, the USFS has a staging/ camping area there.

wonky map link edit

·
Registered
2007 and 2012 TW200
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Howdy I’m local and have ridden Saddleback (Santiago Main Divide) many times. There is not much left open, used to ride dirt from corona to Fallbrook all dirt except where you crossed Ortega. You can still ride Silverado to Lake Elsinore when the gates are open. It’s all paved south of Ortega but that’s still a fun drive too.

You can ride Matthews, Perris, and Gilman many do but they aren’t legal.
Closest legal trails for us are the Trestles at Baldy Mesa ( I-15 @ hwy138). It has signed single track but the entire area is a Indian arch site so the USFS likes you to stay on the trail.

My favorite local trails are up behind Silverwood, Arrowhead Lake this area was spared in the fire and still has those beautiful trees. You can day trip staging at Silverwood dam but overnight in Miller Cyn, the USFS has a staging/ camping area there.

wonky map link edit
Thanks for that information. Anyway of knowing in advance when the gates are open? I wanted to ride the divide and tried entering off of hwy 74 but found the gate closed. Let me know if you plan on riding, would like to go riding soon. Just picked up another tw200 for my 16 year old and will take him out once I get it registered. The DMV sucks as you know so trying to do it all online.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The fire station at the Silverado entrance has a gate closure information sign with phone # but it’s not accurate. They lock the gates whenever they feel like it, wet and cold locked, hot and dry locked. They are locked right now because of recent fires.

No ride soon I’ve got some downtime with a damaged elbow (my good one) and it’s taking forever to heal.

Very happy to read that you are teaching your son to ride and with the registration remark doing it the right way. The USFS rangers will check for spark arrestor and reg. at those forest OHV sites. The registration is easily overlooked but anyone with modified exhaust gets extra special attention.

·
Registered
2007 and 2012 TW200
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The fire station at the Silverado entrance has a gate closure information sign with phone # but it’s not accurate. They lock the gates whenever they feel like it, wet and cold locked, hot and dry locked. They are locked right now because of recent fires.

No ride soon I’ve got some downtime with a damaged elbow (my good one) and it’s taking forever to heal.

Very happy to read that you are teaching your son to ride and with the registration remark doing it the right way. The USFS rangers will check for spark arrestor and reg. at those forest OHV sites. The registration is easily overlooked but anyone with modified exhaust gets extra special attention.
Thanks Willy, hope your elbow heals soon.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I used to ride from my apartment on Waterman and 40th Ave, in San Bernardino to Vegas if I cared to. This was back in early 1970's. I had a Bultaco Pursang. Fang The Pursang I called her. Ha! Ran the Barstow to Vegas twice on that bike and then the Baja 1000 as pit crew and chase team for a privateer Jeep. I can hardly believe I am still that guy. Or should I say was that guy. I was stationed at Norton AFB back then and we formed a dirt bike club on base. They let us build a motocross track at the end of the take-off end of the runway. We'd race the jets on take-off with Security Police clocking us and the jets with their radar guns. So cool when SR71's would launch and we'd be there getting doused in fuel. (The tanks on an SR71 leak like a sieve until they reach altitude.)
I met Chuck Yeager at his retirement lunch at Norton back then. He thought I was nuts to race desert at those speeds. Ha!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts