TW200 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,149 Posts
I broke my little toe on a motorcycle once – the surgeon counted eleven breaks and gave up counting

It surprises me that few boots use metal toe caps …..

·
Registered
39 Posts
Riding boots will probably be my next major purchase. I've been riding with heavy duty Wolverine hiking boots.

Those of you that wear riding boots, do you pretty much have to wear them with riding pants? Just wondering if boot purchase means you need to also purchase riding pants pretty much at the same time.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Nope. unless you want a wider leg to wear over them other wise they work fine for me with any pants tucked in.

Now having my first pair of boots and trying on a few pairs, I can now say Boots are more like a bike upgrade then a just a protective clothing upgrade. They help you interface your lowers with the bike and makes you feel more connected.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Can anyone recommend riding boots that are worth the money? By that I mean that since they are pretty much bike only, are there any boots that last a really long time? I have read MC boot reviews and they are rated high with only a couple of years on them and falling apart. For $300.-$500. they should last 10+ years in my book. Also, are there any crossover boots, good for off road and street that are functional as well as protective?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm with the other guys that say spend money on this one thing.....I just got Sidi Crossfire 2's for my dirt based adventures and can't speak highly enough of them. They are stiff and take some getting used to, but with a slight adjustment to my shifter and brake pedal by the end of the first day riding I felt totally natural in them. I grew up snowboarding in the stiffest boots I could find, so wearing a stiff plastic boot isn't that big of a deal to me. They are bombproof, inspire confidence, and while they were really spendy - they are much cheaper than even the cheapest ER visit!

But ......I wouldn't want to hike in them! So this weekend when I'm out scouting for deer on the TW, I'll be packing some hiking boots in my panniers along with the rest of my camping stuff!

·
Registered
378 Posts
I can't think I'm actually going to do much off road exploring or jumping dumpsters or whatever. I already need a knee replacement. Probably get this old girl back in shape and ride her around town. I think I'll be ok with my work boots or flip-flops. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sidi crossfire 2 SRS. You can replace the soles yourself unlike others so they last and last.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Riding boots will probably be my next major purchase. I've been riding with heavy duty Wolverine hiking boots.

Those of you that wear riding boots, do you pretty much have to wear them with riding pants? Just wondering if boot purchase means you need to also purchase riding pants pretty much at the same time.
Usually wear Blue Jeans while Riding....boot cut jeans, and the G 10 oil boots fit perfectly under them....

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Can anyone recommend riding boots that are worth the money? By that I mean that since they are pretty much bike only, are there any boots that last a really long time? I have read MC boot reviews and they are rated high with only a couple of years on them and falling apart. For $300.-$500. they should last 10+ years in my book. Also, are there any crossover boots, good for off road and street that are functional as well as protective?
Here are mine as they look right now {sure my wife wouldn't approve of me sticking them on top of the dish washer counter:cool:} ….about 7800 miles, including Moab, Big Bend, and the West Virginia Mountains....have owned them since before Moab 2015...a bit over 4 1/2 years...just as protective and more comfortable than the were when purchased new on line for around $300....today costs from $300-$360 well worth the price...especially if you are out and about much....otherwise, like someone else posted...good ol' ankle covering hiking boots work well...don't let somebody convince you that you need to take out a freaking loan for riding boots....that, IMO, is pure BS... DSCF7124 (2).JPG DSCF7124 (2).JPG

·
Registered
4,496 Posts

Here is Hoot at Moab on our 2nd day riding to the top of the world....The Gaerne Oil Boots fit nicely under the Boot Cut Wrangler Jeans....and once again, you can wear these things all day, everyday, if needed....they are that comfortable...

Moab Island Hoot smaller.png

·
Registered
4,496 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm hoping they will break-in, somewhat. I'd rather have the extra protection and I'll get used to the movement, or lack of.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have some good riding boots, but don't wear them on the TW for some reason as I'm mostly desert riding in near 100 degree weather and a short commute.
I bought a pair of Walmart leather boots - they have a waterproof version, but I bought the non waterproof ones as sometimes I soak myself with water when it's 100+ out.
They are also wide, as I am a EE+ width. They are fine for what I do, offer good protection and are getting nicely scuffed up. I'll probably reinforce the left boot shifter area with piece of leather or metal They were $19.99

21 - 40 of 53 Posts