TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a quick search but did not pull up alot of info on prefered riding boots.

Currently using a pair of older RedWing steel toed work boots, however I smacked my shin this past week while riding and am considering going with a pair of Dual Sport/MX Boots for alittle better protection.

What do you guys use? thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Boots just for riding or are you going to want to some walking/hiking in them too?

The thing that sucks about living in the sticks is not being able to try stuff on before you buy it. If you're around SLC, maybe find a Cyclegear or similar shop and try a bunch on. That's my two cents. I suggest that because I have a very difficult time finding footwear that fits and is comfortable. I should get some dual sport boots myself -- protect the ankle and all that but I dread the day I actually start trying them on.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
A lot of folks seem to like the Alpinestars Scout boot. I've got the grandfather boots to it, and they're pretty dandy considering age.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Hey Wing,

I use THESE and they are absolutly fantastic. They are the perfect balance between full on MX boots and work boots. Extreamely comfortable, super supportive, not restrictive in the ankle and pretty comfy to walk in.

I wear White's Fire Jumpers day in and day out (required at work) and my preferance away from work too, and I thought there was no way I needed more boot than that to ride in . . . . wrong again . . . sigh.

I know they are spendy, but they are a truly impressive boot that you can just tell will last for years and years and years.

I have the cleated sole and feel it's the best for me because we do lot's of exploring on our bikes and that includes a fair amount of walking.

Anyway, you asked . . . . . .

Bag

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have been looking for some boots myself. My son said to go with a boot that has some traction unlike the street bike.

The Alpinestar Scout Boot looks like an ideal boot for T-Dubing and ATVing.

They run around $245. (If anyone knows where to get them cheaper please post.)

Moose

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
How much are you looking to spend? I am still in college so I have the fly mavericks atv boot which work fine for me. They definitely take a while to break-in but for $100 they work great.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I have these, Gaerne Balance Oiled.

They are insanely comfortable and look like regular shoes with a pair of jeans. I wear them all day at work sometimes.

Good sole and shin protection, not the best ankle protection but that keeps them flexible for walking.

They are a "trials" boot, hence the name "balance"

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info guys! I really dont have a budget set, I was assuming I was going to be in the $250-350 range, and was just wondering what everyone else was using. I will be doing alittle bit of walking around in them, but not too much.

Rhodetrip...I have to say, I really like the look of those Gaerne's!! going to look at those really hard. thanks for the pic and info.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I bought a pair of the Gaerne balance oiled this spring. They are very well made and much more flexible than MX boots. I would not say they are insanely comfortable, but they definitely look like the quality will last longer than the bike. I live in Northern Utah and bought them at Rocky Mountain ATV in Payson. They fit true to my normal size and if you make the drive to Rocky Mountain ATV in Payson, they will let you try them on before purchase.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I would not say they are insanely comfortable, but they definitely look like the quality will last longer than the bike.

I use an aftermarket insole from REI in them, the same as my backpacking boots. Makes a big difference.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I wear Alpinestars Tech-8's when I trail ride, but I bought the Dub to slow down. Honestly, as I was loading my '06 into my truck, one of my first thoughts was, "Now I don't have to wear those damn boots!" I'm all about proper safety gear but I'm considering a more walk-friendly boot: http://www.perfmoto.com/alpinestars/footwear/cr-4-gore-tex-xcr-touring-boots/boots?iwd=8351.

Don't get me wrong. I thing Gaerne makes one of the best boots on the market. If I could afford SG-12's I'd buy them in a heartbeat. I think Gaerne makes the most comfortable, easy-to-break-in boots available. I think the Balance is a gorgeous boot but the gum sole doesn't seem like it would hold up to a good set of pegs. I'd really appreciate feedback about that from the guys who have them.

This will be the first dirt-friendly bike I've owned that I intend to use for the pure enjoyment of being outdoors rather than racing to the finish. I want to be able to put down the kickstand and walk around without looking like I have hemorrhoids or jock itch. If I'm worried about banging an ankle then I think I'll just slow down some more.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Most all of my riding is trails riding. I like the ridged ankle protection and the shin coverage. When I ride I also use additional shin and knee guards; they have saved me a lot of boo-boos over the years.

I am a believer in MX type boots, just not the crazy prices. So my solution is to head for the pawn shops here in SW Idaho. It amazes me that there are boots that look like they have been worn once and then sold.

This spring I decided that my Alpinestar 8's were in need of replacing so off to a pawn shop I went. The first one had a pair of Moose MX boots that looked like they had been on one ride(a little mud on them). I tried them on and they fit great so after negotiating a price of $30, out the door, they came home with me.

I scrubbed them up a bit and I believe they could have been sold for new if the box was available. I tried to image what kind of mishap prompted the previous owner to get rid of them. What ever it was, was my gain and not so much so for the original owner.

I even ride the back country trails with MX pants and a chest protector. Even after I fell off a creek crossing bridge earlier this summer, the worse injury I had was a bruised pride. Well,"DAH" do I need training wheels or what?

Anyway!

Happy Trails All

Ron in Boise.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just purchased a pair of Sidi Crossfire SRS. They are amazing boots and very comfortable. Not too great for walking but they offer a ton of protection. If you have time you can get great deals on ebay with slightly used boots. I have seem many that could pass for brand new. All depends on what you are looking for in a boot and how much you want to spend.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just purchased a pair of Sidi Crossfire SRS. They are amazing boots and very comfortable. Not too great for walking but they offer a ton of protection. If you have time you can get great deals on ebay with slightly used boots. I have seem many that could pass for brand new. All depends on what you are looking for in a boot and how much you want to spend.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I don't get in the woods much so I wear whatever shoes I happen to be wearing that day. I do have a pair of Thor 50/50 boots that I picked up super cheap a few years ago.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
For now i wear asolo fugitive gtx hiking boots they are very stiff for a hiking boot and i can walk in them. When i was younger and crazier i had a pair of mx/atv boots but they would b miserabl to walk any distance at all. Sometimes i wear a pAir off military boots.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I think the Balance is a gorgeous boot but the gum sole doesn't seem like it would hold up to a good set of pegs. I'd really appreciate feedback about that from the guys who have them.

These are my boots. I've had them a little less than 2 years. There is wear on the soles from walking, but actually the instep area is not worn at all... and I spend a lot of time standing on the pegs. I have SuperStock pegs that are fairly agressive...a little sharper than the D2 Moto pegs on Mrs. Trip's bike.

I would prefer more of a lug sole than these have. I will see if that's an option when I have them resoled.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I also have the Gaerne oil-tanned boots. Much more flexible than motocross boots and much more protective than any work or hiking boot.

I bought them from Donelson cycles. They advertise on the internet. I phoned them since they are not a big seller and they had to order them. I have been using these for 5 or 6 years. Confortable to walk in. Highly recommended.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts